Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different speakers, same SAM setting
Hi, I have been using the SAM setting on my Harbeth M30.1 to great effect.

More recently I have been enjoying listening to my Linn Kans (MK1) on the Devialet as I have been in a different room. The SAM setting is on by default, but still it's programmed for the Harbeths obviously. However, the Kans seem to experience the same effect - deeper, more controlled bass that belies their size.

Anyone else experienced this? It's almost like SAM is just a deep bass booster. I'm not complaining, but just surprised that SAM seems to work across different speaker models. And, they're two very different speakers.
I'm using the Giya G3 profile on my G2. Ok, lots of similarities between the two speakers. And the G2 also benefits from the G3 profile. But I turned down SAM to 5% only, so I'm only using the phase correction. This is still improving the bass response.
Applying the inverse transfer function of a Harbeth M30.1 error to a Linn Kan will indeed change its sound but not to something correct, and the mapping of voice coil temperature and cone travel will be wrong too, so the built in safety measures won't work correctly either.

From an engineering standpoint it is completely barmy to use the wrong SAM profile with a speaker, but thats not to say somebody might not like the effect Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

you are completly right of course. For this reason I have reduced the bass boost to 5%, only using the phase correction. And this works indeed pretty good for me as the chassis of G2 and G3 are nearly identical, only the bass membranes of the G2 have a bigger diameter. But the voice coils are the same, crossover frequencies are the same.
But even with a Magico Q3 profile I get a good result. With a Wilson profile I got very bad results initially. So it makes sense to try some profiles if your speaker is not supported yet. Of course one should be careful with the bass and reduce the SAM effect to harmless levels...
The SAM file is a complex correction which may or may not include combinations of phase and amplitude (depending on speaker) below 150 Hz (or 200Hz I forget) and some complex mapping of thermal and mechanical limits of a the particular bass unit and the influence of crossover. The likely hood of any of the SAM files correcting for a different speaker to the one for which it is intended is absolute zero.
It will change the sound of the speaker but rather than correcting errors it will add other errors.

I absolutely do not see the point of adding some extra bass errors to one's speaker.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It seems that in many (all?) cases Devialet only measure a single speaker or maybe a pair of speakers when creating a SAM profile. I would have thought that the variations in performance between speakers of the same type and model could still be fairly significant but haven't seen any specific figures on this. For example, does every pair of SF Cremona Auditors sound the same?

Also, I hope that Devialet always use well run-in speakers to build SAM profiles. Some speakers seem to need several hundred hours of run-in time and presumably the parameters that Devialet measure will change during that time.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)