Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree and Sound Quality
How much would Tree help with sound quality, especially for Gold?

I'm wondering this as I saw some of the best (and most expensive) bookshelf speakers from Sonus Faber or Magico always sell with stands, and people consider them essential in order to get the best sound quality. Not sure if the same applies to Phantom.
Get the stands!!! Sound great! Heat sinks. Look great.
Trees look great - sound great - but forget about the heat sink. The contact area is small as a finger nail and the contact is not very good. Further there is no real "heat sink" but just a small amount of Aluminum within the socket/contact plate of the Tree where the Phantoms are resting. Efficiency of the heat disappation is near 0. Gold Phantoms are getting very warm already in standby - Silvers a bit less. In operation the Gold are becoming pretty hot - between 50° and 60°C within the upper third of the heatsink.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
Wow those are crazy temperatures...
Compaired to my Pass Labs, the golds run very cool!!
Good to know Tree is working well! But I guess my question is...

"How does Phantom+Tree sound compared to Phantom only? If better, is it the tremble, mid or bass?"

and by "Phantom only" I meant Phantom on table or countertop, for example.
(08-Feb-2017, 00:34)partita Wrote: Good to know Tree is working well! But I guess my question is...

"How does Phantom+Tree sound compared to Phantom only? If better, is it the tremble, mid or bass?"

I have tested only with Trees - no possibility to put my phantoms without them other than floow which makes no sense. I guess that Phantoms put in a shelf or on a sideboard develop a more heavy low end - as other speakers do. For me on Trees they sound well balanced.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(08-Feb-2017, 00:34)partita Wrote: Good to know Tree is working well! But I guess my question is...

It is a more open and correcter sound
I used my Silvers with stands of the right height and the Phantom just rested on the top. I changed to the Tree stand partly for looks but mainly as they were less likely to be knocked over. I can't say that I noticed any difference in the sound. The Tree is a pig if want to plug in a digital cable and a network cable as well as the mains lead. This part of the design needs looking at.
I had my silver pair on the aluminum stands from my previous speakers while waiting for my Tree order to come in. I thought the mid and bass response was surprisingly poor from this setup and was checking on treating my room. But once I finally got them on top of Tree stands, I immediately heard an improvement in mid and lower bass extension. I am guessing it's because the Tree stands are quite a bit heavier than my previous stands. That alone is a reason to recommend them, aside from the fact they obviously match the design of Phantom as well as lock them in place (excellent for peace of mind).

Agreed about the heat sink claim...can't see how any benefit would come about as the coupling is not significant. And also agree that cable management through Tree could be much better. It's an extremely tight fit if you want to route all the cables through and connected, and will test your patience.