Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono Switch on Devialet
Hoping someone has more experience than I on this matter.

Going to get a mono cartridge. 

My question is when using the Mono cartridge - should I be enabling the Mono setting in the Devialet?

Any tips and guidance is appreciated.

I do know if I were to get a Mono cartridges such as the Ortofon MC Cadenza Mono, it does the following, which I believe means I would not need to enable the Mono setting on the Devialet, however other cartridges I am looking at do not do as the MC Cadenza Mono.

For easy use the pins are connected so you get the same signal from both pairs of connecting pins.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Just an educated guess, no you don't need to turn the mono on when already using a mono cartridge, because the mono cartridge will output mono signal (same signal on both channels). On the contrary, if using a stereo cartridge to play a mono vinyl, turning the mono on would help.
There's a vast difference between playing Mono Cartridge using stereo setting. The sound stage, is so different if Mono is being configured in the amp as Mono - matching that of your cartridge specs.

What you need to do is have 2 settings, one for stereo and the other mono, matching that to the cartridge specs you have. And then switch to the input whenever you are playing, Mono or Stereo. That way, you can hear the difference.

By the way, I have the Miyajima Zero for Mono and the Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary for Stereo.
System: TW Acustics Raven GT se, Raven 10.5, Miyajima Zero, Ortofon RSG309, Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary, ModWright Oppo UDP205, Roon Nucleus+, Devialet OdA #77, Magnum Dynlab MD90T SE, Audience Au24 SX cables, Wilson Alexia.

Vintage Turntables: Thorens TD160 Super, SME M2-9, Ortofon 2M Mono SE & Thorens TD147 Jubilee, Ortofon 2M Black
TV Companion: Stereo Phantom Gold
(10-Feb-2017, 02:47)Jerry Seh Wrote: There's a vast difference between playing Mono Cartridge using stereo setting. The sound stage, is so different if Mono is being configured in the amp as Mono - matching that of your cartridge specs.

What you need to do is have 2 settings, one for stereo and the other mono, matching that to the cartridge specs you have. And then switch to the input whenever you are playing, Mono or Stereo. That way, you can hear the difference.

By the way, I have the Miyajima Zero for Mono and the Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary for Stereo.

Thanks Jerry, I was looking at the Miyajima Premium Mono, and wasn't sure if it outputs on just one channel or both, as some cartridges such as the Ortofon Cadenza Mono ( their ad copy states For easy use the pins are connected so you get the same signal from both pairs of connecting pins. ).

I cannot quite telling if the Premium does the same or not, and then I was trying to determine what the MONO switch on the Devialet does, is it merely ensuring both channels get the same signal or something more?

I appreciate the guidance on having a different setting for the Mono and Stereo cartridges, just hoping I can use the  mono cartridge and mono setting on Devialet, without needing to either change the cable from turntable to D440, or using a Y adapter.

The Zero is a lovely cartridge and I would opt for that save the fact I need to get an arm for the cartridge as well.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Btw - thanks for all the replies so far, any insights are well appreciated. My turntable is still a few weeks out.
SXSW, US
(10-Feb-2017, 02:47)Jerry Seh Wrote: There's a vast difference between playing Mono Cartridge using stereo setting. The sound stage, is so different if Mono is being configured in the amp as Mono - matching that of your cartridge specs.

Thanks Jerry, so if I understand this correctly, when using a mono cartridge such as the Miyajima Premium Mono, I should set the Devialet to Mono, correct?

And yes, it makes sense to configure to separate inputs on the Devialet, one for my stereo cartridge (Ortofon Cadenza Black) and one for the mono cartridge.
SXSW, US
(05-Apr-2017, 18:12)baddog Wrote:

Thanks Jerry, so if I understand this correctly, when using a mono cartridge such as the Miyajima Premium Mono, I should set the Devialet to Mono, correct?

And yes, it makes sense to configure to separate inputs on the Devialet, one for my stereo cartridge (Ortofon Cadenza Black) and one for the mono cartridge.

Dear Jerry, I'm planning to get a Miyajima Zero mono as well. Did you get the 0.7 version? Did you compare this one to others? Would be interested by getting your feedbacks, Best, 
The Lost Recordings & Fondamenta Music Labels
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Devialet 220, Focal Diablo Evo, Absolue Creations Ul-tim cables
Phantom Gold + White tree
Phantom Reactor 900
What is the 0.7 version? Not sure what that is referring to?
SXSW, US
Two versions for the Miyajima cartridge 0.7microm and 1.0microm for the diamond. The thinner one is reserved to mono LPs after 1950's... the other one for the LPs before 1950's
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Phantom Reactor 900
With a mono cartridge, there is no need to set the Devialet input to mono instead of stereo, you'll get the same results. On the contrary, if you're playing a mono record with a stereo cartridge, it's better to set to mono.
Phantom Reactor 900