Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torus Power Isolation Transformers (getting a RM 16 or upgrading to Pro)
By far the best power product I have EVER tried!!

http://www.toruspower.com/ce-rm-series/

The first thing that came to my mind when trying out the RM 16 at home was "Holy crap, so THIS is how my system REALLY sounds?! I didn't know it was THAT good!!"

Prior to testing the RM 16 I had tried out the 220 Pro at home and compared it to both my D 400 and the Master unit (D 200). The difference between having/not having the RM 16 plugged in is more significant, hands down, compared to the Devialet Pro unit. It is also cheaper compared to an upgrade from D 400 to D 440 Pro. So for me it was a no-brainer!  Angel

The only drawback is the weight... 54 kg.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(12-Feb-2017, 18:02)MightyMart Wrote: By far the best power product I have EVER tried!!

http://www.toruspower.com/ce-rm-series/

The first thing that came to my mind when trying out the RM 16 at home was "Holy crap, so THIS is how my system REALLY sounds?! I didn't know it was THAT good!!"

Prior to testing the RM 16 I had tried out the 220 Pro at home and compared it to both my D 400 and the Master unit (D 200). The difference between having/not having the RM 16 plugged in is more significant, hands down, compared to the Devialet Pro unit. It is also cheaper compared to an upgrade from D 400 to D 440 Pro. So for me it was a no-brainer!  Angel

The only drawback is the weight... 54 kg.

Wow, had never heard of them.

There's another downside besides weight though..... Price!!

Torus Power RM 16 UK - £4,750

I do believe some power cleansing on my London supply could be a good thing but doubt I could even demo this. And I wouldn't because I can't justify the cost.

Am on the lookout for medical balanced transformer supply which I believe may still be pretty decent.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Yes, i also agree that Isolation Transformer has a positive effect on Devialet Expert amplification, apart from using good power cords. I am using one with improved dynamics, lower noise floor etc.

By the way, is Torus trans fully balanced? I remembered it is not, but not sure for all the designs.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(18-Feb-2017, 07:17)Sharone Wrote: Yes, i also agree that Isolation Transformer has a positive effect on Devialet Expert amplification, apart from using good power cords. I am using one with improved dynamics, lower noise floor etc.

By the way, is Torus trans fully balanced? I remembered it is not, but not sure for all the designs.

I have listened to a Devialet with a big PS Audio mains conditioner, I thought this had a very negative impact on dynamics.  In you post above, you state you are getting improved dynamics.  I presume you are referring to the Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner per your signature?  I am thinking that products like this are very system specific in how they work.  It is not an area in which I have any kind of expert knowledge, but if dynamics matter, what type of mains conditioning works from a technical perspective, and works well with a Devialet?  I'm sure Devialet amps can be quite demanding with respect to peak loads?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(18-Feb-2017, 11:50)Confused Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 07:17)Sharone Wrote: Yes, i also agree that Isolation Transformer has a positive effect on Devialet Expert amplification, apart from using good power cords. I am using one with improved dynamics, lower noise floor etc.

I have listened to a Devialet with a big PS Audio mains conditioner, I thought this had a very negative impact on dynamics.  In you post above, you state you are getting improved dynamics.  I presume you are referring to the Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner per your signature?  I am thinking that products like this are very system specific in how they work.  It is not an area in which I have any kind of expert knowledge, but if dynamics matter, what type of mains conditioning works from a technical perspective, and works well with a Devialet?  I'm sure Devialet amps can be quite demanding with respect to peak loads?

I can assure you that there is absolutely no loss in dynamics with the RM 16. On the contrary, everything is sounding better with it plugged in. It's like I have new even better amplifiers and/or speakers. (The PS Audio P5/P10 is nothing like the RM 16 when it comes to delivering power...)

I compared my D 400 with the D 220 Pro and then my D 400 w/o the RM 16. The benefits of the Torus outweighed the benefits of an upgrade to Pro, by a big margin. The RM 16 is also cheaper compared to the Pro upgrade (at least here in Sweden) and I can sell off most of my expensive power cables and get some cheaper ones. Like I said, for me it has been a no-brainer. I'm very, very pleased with having made a move in this direction and investing in clean and plentiful power. Seems like the right thing to do.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
treatment
- SWEDEN -
If the difference between the 200 and 220 Pro is small in comparison to adding this power product, you must have some terribly dirty power at your location.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Yes, I was referring to my experience with my Plixir BAC 3000 Power Conditioner. It is actually similar to the Torus Power setup, which is mainly an Isolation Transformer to clean up the nasty noisy which may be at the mains. I opt for the 3000W version not to impact dynamics.

I do not have any experience and much knowledge on PS Audio mains conditioner. I believe their conditioner cleans up and regenerate the AC signals for the hifi equipment which is different from and further more than what isolation trans does.

As for my comments of having improved dynamics, it does not mean the amplifiers are receiving more power during the delivery. The music sounds more dynamic to me is probably due to the cleaner supply which provides better clarity and resolution to the sound. There is more impact from sudden soft to loud transitions and complex music passages in classical orchestral pieces.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(18-Feb-2017, 13:38)MightyMart Wrote:

I can assure you that there is absolutely no loss in dynamics with the RM 16. On the contrary, everything is sounding better with it plugged in. It's like I have new even better amplifiers and/or speakers. (The PS Audio P5/P10 is nothing like the RM 16 when it comes to delivering power...)

I compared my D 400 with the D 220 Pro and then my D 400 w/o the RM 16. The benefits of the Torus outweighed the benefits of an upgrade to Pro, by a big margin. The RM 16 is also cheaper compared to the Pro upgrade (at least here in Sweden) and I can sell off most of my expensive power cables and get some cheaper ones. Like I said, for me it has been a no-brainer. I'm very, very pleased with having made a move in this direction and investing in clean and plentiful power. Seems like the right thing to do.

Have you done anything to the powersupply in your apartment/house that feeds the hifi?

I have tried a couple of different powersolutions with my Devialets but the thing that made the biggest difference was when I installed a seperate powersupply from my meterbox outside on my house that only feeds my Ansuz Mains D8 powerstrip that then feeds my D440 with Anzus POM powercables.

After I installed this powersupply powercables and powerconditioners have med less difference to the sound but I decided to keep the Ansuz stuff as I feel they make some extra improvments.

The installation of my dedicaded powersupply.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(18-Feb-2017, 15:06)RDr Tone Wrote: If the difference between the 200 and 220 Pro is small in comparison to adding this power product, you must have some terribly dirty power at your location.

Or maybe you don't know what you're missing out on...?  Tongue
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(18-Feb-2017, 15:33)Sharone Wrote:

Yes, I was referring to my experience with my Plixir BAC 3000 Power Conditioner. It is actually similar to the Torus Power setup, which is mainly an Isolation Transformer to clean up the nasty noisy which may be at the mains. I opt for the 3000W version not to impact dynamics.

I do not have any experience and much knowledge on PS Audio mains conditioner. I believe their conditioner cleans up and regenerate the AC signals for the hifi equipment which is different from and further more than what isolation trans does.

As for my comments of having improved dynamics, it does not mean the amplifiers are receiving more power during the delivery. The music sounds more dynamic to me is probably due to the cleaner supply which provides better clarity and resolution to the sound. There is more impact from sudden soft to loud transitions and complex music passages in classical orchestral pieces.

Regarding your comment on dynamics, this is exactly the way I experience the RM 16 in my system!
treatment
- SWEDEN -