Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Enthusiast Brands will Betray You
Allo !

I just saw that video on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJgTKx-rg18

It could explain the early adopters experience we get from Devialet :  Sad   or    Angry
Interesting... so was the Devialet Expert targeted at enthusiasts and the Phantom an attempt to expand to the masses?   Might explain why they are such disparate products.

Introduction of the Expert Pros worked for me to keep me a Devialet "enthusiast" whereas I saw little value (to me) with the Phantoms.    

The question is... will Devialet ultimately betray us?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
They already 'betrayed' the early adopters when they introduced the 110/170(/240) models after the D-Premier which were in effect cheaper artificially downscaled D-Premiers.

A few years later they betrayed the Od'A buyers too when they introduced the Pro line.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Does your toast always land butter side down?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Feb-2017, 19:00)NickB Wrote: Does your toast always land butter side down?

That naturally happens when you put too much butter on; it gets top heavy.  Big Grin

I 'lost' a lot of money on my 200 when the 120 to 220Pro upgrade was introduced. So much so that I'm considering not even selling it because the money I would get for it wouldn't make a significant difference to my bank balance. My Original d' Atelier is now probably worth what I paid for it but for those who paid full price they would have lost a lot too.

Am I unhappy with Devialet for what they've done? Not in the slightest. Devialet have continued to improve their product and have made some top quality gear available for those who can't afford more. I can only imagine how good a system with a 130Pro, the streamer board and a pair of speakers would sound. 

When you buy the latest product in electronics you're almost always going to see a drop in value very quickly. I've used this example here before but I'll do it again; in the early 90's JVC came out with their first Super VHS recorder. It cost 3500 Guilders at the time. Less than a year later they introduced the new range which consisted out of three models, the most expensive one being about two grand. Conclusion; if you're an early adopter you WILL get stung. Live with it.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

I'm sure you believe yours never does.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I don't think Devialet is alone in bringing out new products and making the old products worth less.
I play golf and every single year the makers bring out a latest model and the model you paid top dollar for is immediately worth much less. It's business.
I am not a big fan of Devialet as a company but their product .......and yes I still have the lowly D200 :-) ......well it's amazing . The best I have ever owned
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
An interesting video. The thing is, I could relate very little of what was being said about 'enthusiast brands' to Devialet. Apparently signs include an active forum with a company focusing on the specific wants of the 'enthusiasts'. Actually, that sound like the exact opposite to Devialet.

It does sound very much like Roon, and a bit like Sonore, but Devialet? No. Even then, I think it is more a take on the 'gadget' scene, rather than audio.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Easy for you to say Nick, you didn't buy the O d'A. 

In my case it really did land the greasy side down. You agree with me right? 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Feb-2017, 20:17)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

That naturally happens when you put too much butter on; it gets top heavy.  Big Grin

I 'lost' a lot of money on my 200 when the 120 to 220Pro upgrade was introduced. So much so that I'm considering not even selling it because the money I would get for it wouldn't make a significant difference to my bank balance. My Original d' Atelier is now probably worth what I paid for it but for those who paid full price they would have lost a lot too.

Am I unhappy with Devialet for what they've done? Not in the slightest. Devialet have continued to improve their product and have made some top quality gear available for those who can't afford more. I can only imagine how good a system with a 130Pro, the streamer board and a pair of speakers would sound. 

When you buy the latest product in electronics you're almost always going to see a drop in value very quickly. I've used this example here before but I'll do it again; in the early 90's JVC came out with their first Super VHS recorder. It cost 3500 Guilders at the time. Less than a year later they introduced the new range which consisted out of three models, the most expensive one being about two grand. Conclusion; if you're an early adopter you WILL get stung. Live with it.

"Conclusion; if you're an early adopter you WILL get stung."  
Sadly, I have to agree - limited edition hifi, golf clubs, cameras etc - all were great for a few months until the trickle down products came through with essentially the same specs and a much lower price. Don't look as good but do the same job. It's just business - test the market before launch and all that. I would still kill for the Od'A chassis though! Not sure I'd agree that the lower powered models introduced after the D'Premier were a betrayal - surely just lower powered, lower price models to let more people into the brand?  
As I understand it the Od'A will be upgraded to 1000Pro status foc?
Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK