Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sopra 2 and devialet
hi all, 

I am planning to get a devialet amp to drive my Sopra 2.

Although not as bright as some other focal models, sopra 2 can still be on the bright side.

For users with Sopra 2 out there, how do you find the matchup with devialet?
Is the sound more toward digital/bright/analytical?
Also, which model of devialet do you have with your sopra 2?

Any thoughts on using this combo for a 2.1 home theater setup?

many thanks
(15-Feb-2017, 15:58)burgundy Wrote: hi all, 

Although not as bright as some other focal models, sopra 2 can still be on the bright side.

many thanks

I was looking for a new set of speakers and narrowed it down to 2 different flavors  
Focal Sopra 2 and Wilson Sabrina, I auditioned  them both 2 or 3 different times 
using a Devialet D400 as the amps.
I preferred the Sabrina's but found them out of my price range, so i was all set to purchase
a set of Sopra 2's When I stopped by an other dealer who has a set on demo, also using Devialet amps
I was so shocked, I could not stand the sound, so bright it was ridiculous.
Dealer A they sounded beautiful no hint of brightness 
Dealer B they heart my ears

So it looks like Sopra 2 and brightness are VERY much room dependant.

I ended up purchasing a set of B&W 803D3

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

BrianT Wrote:
burgundy Wrote:hi all, 

many thanks

I was looking for a new set of speakers and narrowed it down to 2 different flavors  
Focal Sopra 2 and Wilson Sabrina, I auditioned  them both 2 or 3 different times 
I preferred the Sabrina's but found them out of my price range, so i was all set to purchase
a set of Sopra 2's When I stopped by an other dealer who has a set on demo, also using Devialet amps

Brian

Have you considered Dynaudio Contour/Confidence ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
(16-Feb-2017, 05:35)Emerald Wrote:
BrianT Wrote:
burgundy Wrote:hi all, 

many thanks

Brian

Have you considered Dynaudio Contour/Confidence ?

Devialet 220pro with Sopra 2 sounds awesome! One should also still in a very good speaker cable invest (Audioquest etc.)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(26-Feb-2017, 21:40)jms1 Wrote: I own a pair of Sopra 2's which I use with a D400.

The sound is utterly captivating.  The scale and effortlessness nature of the music, combined with the soundstage is particularly impressive, which often offers out-of-the box imagery.  Dynamically they are fantastic and when coupled with the Devialet amps the bass is extremely well controlled.  These speakers are very accurate and if you feed them with a harsh/bright recording, they may sound so at high listening levels.

All speakers are utterly room dependent.  I used to own a pair of 1028be's which I uses with a NAP 250 power amp and NAC 82 Pre.  Sounded really nice until I sold it to a friend who installed it in a room with a large glass bay window behind the listening position.  The sound went from being balanced to harsh and tiresome at anything approaching proper listening levels, such was the effect of the room; my friend has now relocated the system in his main lounge where he's commented that the sound has been transformed.

The Sopra 2's in my opinion produce a clear, dynamic and highly detailed (not bright) sound.

Hope that helps Smile

don't do my mistake, don't listen to Diablo Utopias, please don't
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
(27-Feb-2017, 04:49)Emerald Wrote:
(26-Feb-2017, 21:40)jms1 Wrote: I own a pair of Sopra 2's which I use with a D400.

The sound is utterly captivating.  The scale and effortlessness nature of the music, combined with the soundstage is particularly impressive, which often offers out-of-the box imagery.  Dynamically they are fantastic and when coupled with the Devialet amps the bass is extremely well controlled.  These speakers are very accurate and if you feed them with a harsh/bright recording, they may sound so at high listening levels.

All speakers are utterly room dependent.  I used to own a pair of 1028be's which I uses with a NAP 250 power amp and NAC 82 Pre.  Sounded really nice until I sold it to a friend who installed it in a room with a large glass bay window behind the listening position.  The sound went from being balanced to harsh and tiresome at anything approaching proper listening levels, such was the effect of the room; my friend has now relocated the system in his main lounge where he's commented that the sound has been transformed.

The Sopra 2's in my opinion produce a clear, dynamic and highly detailed (not bright) sound.

Hope that helps Smile

don't do my mistake, don't listen to Diablo Utopias, please don't

I started my down the Focal rabbit hole randomly listening to Sopra 2's (and subsequently 1's) at my local dealer when they forst came out.  They were AWFUL.  Months later, they were AMAZING. Seems Focal across the board need time to break in.  Of course, the huge, glossy Utopia Scala V2 sitting in the corner of the demo room just had to be compared, and yes they where a whole lot better. Truly exceptional and a big step forward.  Not that the Sopra 1 or 2 were bad after they'd broken in.  The Scala just got it ALL right.  All these were driven by the Devialet D200.  Originally I had eyes for the Audio Research Ref75 SE amp w ARC front end too.  It was good but the Devialet was light years better. That's the whole point of listening yourself and not just going by the scores of online reviews!
When a local Devialet came up for sale I was even more stoked to discover the seller had a pair of Utopia 3 Diablo's for sale.

A match made in heaven.  Levels of transparency and resolution I'd only dreamed of, tonality and accuracy to die for with more musicality and presence than anything I've yet to hear.  It does benefit from a sub (or two) - a lot!  Sodownwn the rabbit-hole with the continuing cable odyssey.

In short - there's nothing bright about Focal, especially Sopra or Utopia.  If you're hearing something it may be the room but likely the equipment and setup.  With a system this resolving cables play a BIG role.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
Hello everybody,

I am new to the Devialet chat forum and would like some advice further related to Sopra 2.

My current set-up is Naim NAC-N272, XPS DR, NAP250 DR (stood on Naim Fraimlite), and Naim Nac A5 cable going through Focal Sopra 2 (these look beautiful in orange!).

I am considering a change from the Naim because I feel like the Sopras need a little bit more of a push than the Naim can offer and know that Devialet seems to be a common choice for ex-Naim fans.

The natural match seems to be with the 440 pro but I was wondering if there would be any advantage going to the 1000pro? I know that the improvements of the 1000 is more than just power, but will the Sopra 2s be able to harness the full capability of the 1000, or is a 440 at the limit of the Focals?

Any advice would be great!
(11-Apr-2017, 12:05)part-time.hero Wrote: Hello everybody,

I am new to the Devialet chat forum and would like some advice further related to Sopra 2.

My current set-up is Naim NAC-N272, XPS DR, NAP250 DR (stood on Naim Fraimlite), and Naim Nac A5 cable going through Focal Sopra 2 (these look beautiful in orange!).

I am considering a change from the Naim because I feel like the Sopras need a little bit more of a push than the Naim can offer and know that Devialet seems to be a common choice for ex-Naim fans.

The natural match seems to be with the 440 pro but I was wondering if there would be any advantage going to the 1000pro? I know that the improvements of the 1000 is more than just power, but will the Sopra 2s be able to harness the full capability of the 1000, or is a 440 at the limit of the Focals?

Any advice would be great!

I've got the Focal Sopra 2 paired with Devialet D200.  I wouldn't characterize the sound as bright at all but the speakers -- like most -- do require careful positioning in the room for optimal sound.  I personally use minimal toe in which helps tame any perceived brightness related to the tweeter and have them pulled about 2 feet into the room from the back wall.  Additionally, room treatments are a must, particularly if you have a "reflective" room.  As far as cables -- I'll go against the grain here and say that, with A-B testing, I found absolutely no difference which is, of course, congruent with the actual science behind signal conduction.  I use fairly inexpensive 10ga copper cables.  The system sounds great.
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
Would the Sopra 2's be an overkill for the 220pro?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(24-Apr-2017, 20:10)sanjeebrose Wrote: Would the Sopra 2's be an overkill for the 220pro?

I just saw the comments from K4680....so pardon my lapse and ignore the question. Glad to know that I don't need to upgrade the Devialet and can still benefit by investing in the Sopra's.