Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We want to "grab" the whole market
Hopefully those millions of users won't need bug fixes.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(18-Feb-2017, 17:45)Cylob Wrote: Hopefully those millions of users won't need bug fixes.

Perhaps by the time they've added a few million extra users, they'll have actually finally fixed the two or three bugs that have plagued AIR for years.

Then the hour a month the developer's been using there could be put to good use dealing with all the dropouts occurring with millions of Devialet TVs, cars, and phones - which will of course be the best in the world.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

the phrase 'run before you can walk' springs to mind
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Well the Phantom white shell was cracking just like the yesteryear white MacBook. So maybe they are following Apple.
(17-Feb-2017, 14:16)G51 Wrote: Expert and Expert Pro are Devialet 'IPOD'?

Let's just hope it's not running the course of the Apple Lisa...
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I'm far from convinced by the expansive retail argument at least whilst you are a company with only two largely non-interactive and quite expensive products. Apple has at least six (pod, pad, phone, watch, laptop, desktop) with lots of model variations and peripherals and cross-sells, with a much higher level of product interactivity. Other manufacturers pursuing this route include Sony - who appear to be successful - and Bose and B&O and Meridian - who appear to be less so. Perhaps much rests on product launches which will excite lots of people and which I cannot envisage. But the mobile World Wide Web, which underpins much of what Apple does, has no unexploited Devialet equivalent I can think of.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(21-Feb-2017, 15:20)IanG-UK Wrote: I'm far from convinced by the expansive retail argument at least whilst you are a company with only two largely non-interactive and quite expensive products. Apple has at least six (pod, pad, phone, watch, laptop, desktop) with lots of model variations and peripherals and cross-sells, with a much higher level of product interactivity. Other manufacturers pursuing this route include Sony - who appear to be successful - and Bose and B&O and Meridian - who appear to be less so. Perhaps much rests on product launches which will excite lots of people and which I cannot envisage. But the mobile World Wide Web, which underpins much of what Apple does, has no unexploited Devialet equivalent I can think of.

I reckon you're spot on Ian. They want to grab the market but the market they're in isn't anywhere near as big as Apple's. if they want to compare with anyone, they should compare themselves with Bose. They are the company with probably the biggest turnover in audio alone (a billion dollars a year) and the most recognised name.

Not that you would want to be compared with Bose on a product basis... Huh

I do see a lot of Devialet advertising. The Phantom has been on the last page of the Virgin Australia magazine for months now. But my best guess is that most people just glance at it and put the magazine away. I have yet to come across someone who mentions Devialet to me in any context.

We're a lonely bunch and that's the way it should stay.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(21-Feb-2017, 16:11)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(21-Feb-2017, 15:20)IanG-UK Wrote: I'm far from convinced by the expansive retail argument at least whilst you are a company with only two largely non-interactive and quite expensive products. Apple has at least six (pod, pad, phone, watch, laptop, desktop) with lots of model variations and peripherals and cross-sells, with a much higher level of product interactivity. Other manufacturers pursuing this route include Sony - who appear to be successful - and Bose and B&O and Meridian - who appear to be less so. Perhaps much rests on product launches which will excite lots of people and which I cannot envisage. But the mobile World Wide Web, which underpins much of what Apple does, has no unexploited Devialet equivalent I can think of.

I reckon you're spot on Ian. They want to grab the market but the market they're in isn't anywhere near as big as Apple's. if they want to compare with anyone, they should compare themselves with Bose. They are the company with probably the biggest turnover in audio alone (a billion dollars a year) and the most recognised name.

Not that you would want to be compared with Bose on a product basis... Huh

I do see a lot of Devialet advertising. The Phantom has been on the last page of the Virgin Australia magazine for months now. But my best guess is that most people just glance at it and put the magazine away. I have yet to come across someone who mentions Devialet to me in any context.

We're a lonely bunch and that's the way it should stay.

Well 40k Phantom units have been sold so far and another 50k expected this year alone. Turnover is doubling every year. Already at 60M euros in 2016 Devialet is quite a bit bigger than most (if not all?) other hi-fi companies. People are obviously buying the Phantoms in droves.

If they can get ADH and SAM into completely new environments then I think they can crack it. My guess is that they could easily displace Bose within a few years. 

Many companies in technology are now emulating Apple, this is nothing new.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
As a true fanboy I'm totally sure that the Expert Streamer Board is sure to be the Devialet version of Apple's Newton, which as you know took the market by storm.
Oh wait, you mean we're not all using handwriting recognition on our personal digital assistants? Well, at least Devialet was out front with "alternative facts" in their marketing so they've got one up on Trump if not Jobs.
(21-Feb-2017, 16:17)LGuillaumeB Wrote: Well 40k Phantom units have been sold so far and another 50k expected this year alone. Turnover is doubling every year. Already at 60M euros in 2016 Devialet is quite a bit bigger than most (if not all?) other hi-fi companies. People are obviously buying the Phantoms in droves.

In comparison:

Naim Audio Limited had a turnover of £25.3m in 2015.  

Focal+Naim together reportedly turned over €60M in 2014 when they were taken over by Naxicap.

Linn Audio - £18M in 2015

B&W - £115M in 2015
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)