Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Verry bad service Devialet
With all that pressure you can expect a load of Phantom explosions in a few years. Like having one of these old underwater mines sitting in your living room, or worse, two!
(24-Feb-2017, 09:39)Gerronwithit Wrote: With all that pressure you can expect a load of Phantom explosions in a few years. Like having one of these old underwater mines sitting in your living room, or worse, two!

It will be more of a *pfht* than a BANG Tongue The internal pressure is really low compared to ie a bicycle tire.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I think they're talking nonsense - the side cheeks are only held on with a push fit grommet (like many speaker grilles) - there is a screw underneath a tamper proof seal behind these panels.That'll be the way to separate the two halves of the clamshell and get in. Not that I want to try it!
This Devialet told me after waiting 18 months after me and my dealer was told immediately after the occurrence of the damage that it was working on a repair facility.

Dear Aadnel,

I understand your frustration.

As I have told you, we do not have yet the possibility to repair the Phantoms, since this is a really complex device technologically speaking.
Repairing a Phantom would need to open the device, and this would create a huge quality loss, since the unit would loose its hermeticity. For instance, sealing the phantom needs a 1 metric ton of pressure.

The Devialet Care can allow you to protect your devices from any damages, even the ones uncovered by the warranty.

Yours, sincerely
(24-Feb-2017, 10:18)pjlarge Wrote: I think they're talking nonsense - the side cheeks are only held on with a push fit grommet (like many speaker grilles) - there is a screw underneath a tamper proof seal behind these panels.That'll be the way to separate the two halves of the clamshell and get in.  Not that I want to try it!

Yes - I have checked this some time ago with another Phantom, carefully removed the seal and the scew underneath and tried to pry open the case - impossible without damages, so I gave up before something would be visible. I think you need a special toolset for this.
I would like to buy a damaged non functional Phantom and try further ... but it seems that all non functional Phantoms are going back to Devialet for replacement. Never seen one offered in the market.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
I am assuming that it no longer works. If that is the case then surely your insurance will cover a replacement. If it does work and the damage is purely cosmetic then it would seem you will have to put up with it for now. After all, if I am reading your post correctly, the damage was caused after delivery and is down to you.
It is salutary and interesting that Devialet's policy on repairs is being challenged by its owners on the day that a Facebook advert placed by Naim emphasises their commitment to allow you to get almost any of their products dating back to the '70s still repaired.

I have visited Naim's Salisbury plant and having at least a manufacturing systems background was slightly astonished at what appeared to be costly and outmoded practices. However, I do now own a Devialet 250 Pro at no small expense, particularly compared to Naim, and had jumped in expecting both customer service and repairability to be at least the equivalent of any of their competitors. Is this not so?
(24-Feb-2017, 15:52)Gerronwithit Wrote: I do now own a Devialet 250 Pro at no small expense, particularly compared to Naim, and had jumped in expecting both customer service and repairability to be at least the equivalent of any of their competitors. Is this not so?

The problem with repairability and Devialet is isolated to the Phantom. They cannot figure out how to open it without compromising the unit in the process. I've had this confirmed three times now by two different Devialet support agents and also the manager of one of their stores.

The Expert on the other hand seems to be well supported as you can see by the train of upgrades available as far back as the D-Premier. I've owned the Expert myself and found Devialet's care and after sales support to be exemplary.

For the Phantom however their suggestion has been to simply buy Devialet Care...
which you can only buy within 30 days from purchase

mmmm, not sure I like this

Do you guys think they will offer some kind of offer if you break one? say that you break something small and silly? do you think they will charge you for a brand new one as repair cost?
Devialet care costs 250 euros and in case of damage a deductible of 200 euros. So in case of damage you are totally lost 450 euros. In my case, a slight dent in one of the cheeks so costs me 450 euros. This while, if they could repair the repair cost was no more than 100 euros. Against this I objected. The only alternative I had to buy the possible Devialet still care. So a slight injury or defect out of warranty you will always cost 450 euros. Incidentally, I had the opportunity to purchase Devialet care only available after 18 months and a long correspondence. I call therefore a terrible service.