Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay Crackle
I have two Gold Phantoms and an AirPlay compatible Dialog.

I started noticing some crackling at high frequencies when playing some tracks using AirPlay, so decided to investigate further with some test tones: The problem was then very obvious! If you have a Phantom and/or Dialog with AirPlay compatibility, could you try playing this track from iTunes/Apple Music using AirPlay? Flat Low Distortion Sweep from 2 - 20 KHz

I get distortion from both Phantoms if I use AirPlay to the Dialog, but also on one Phantom if I AirPlay directly to it. 

Playing the same test tracks using Tidal in Spark, or to other makes of AirPlay speaker, does not produce any distortion, so it would seem that the issue is only with AirPlay on the Phantom and Dialog.

Devialet Support seem to be going round in circles and I can't get them to tell me whether they can reproduce the problem or not.

The distortion/crackle has been mentioned in the Spark vs AirPlay poll, with a couple of others reporting similar issues to me, but I thought it was worthy of its own thread, especially if all AirPlay Phantoms/Dialogs are affected!
This is surely related to a Network (WiFi) issue or signal not very strong. Try to switch your WiFi to another channel and 5GHz Band if possible.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
I have tried changing bands, channels and even different WiFi routers! I would expect weak WiFi to cause drop outs and stuttering, not the distortion on higher frequencies I am hearing. Also, other AirPlay speakers are fine on the same WiFi network.

I'm hoping others can try playing the test track using AirPlay and confirm whether this is a general problem requiring a fix (hopefully software!).
wow that sounds strange - I will test with my configuration (3 Phantoms, 1 Silver, 2 Gold, Dialog, Time Capsule V II) later today...
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
I just tried it and really I got 100% the same effect as Chris describes. I also tried with Itunes/Airplay and Tidal Desktop from my Mac.
With Itunes/Airplay I got some crackling noise and with Tidal the sound is flawless. I definitely do not have a network issue here, so it seems that it is the Phantom Airplay implementation. I am thinking whether to open a ticket with Devialet or not...
Thank you very much for trying this! Yes, please do open a ticket as I'm not convinced Devialet have acknowledged there is a problem beyond my set up (although they have gone very quiet at the moment!).

Thanks again!
Just to give an idea to prospective buyers like me, could someone please make and post (or PM me if easier, as I'm not sure we can attach a recording, except if hosted using SoundCloud or DropBox, which I can take care of) a quick recording of this test track played on Phantom, both via AirPlay and via Spark?
That would be meaningful, before it hopefully becomes fixed.
Thanks a lot!
(28-Feb-2017, 00:09)Pleyel Wrote: Just to give an idea to prospective buyers like me, could someone please make and post (or PM me if easier, as I'm not sure we can attach a recording, except if hosted using SoundCloud or DropBox, which I can take care of) a quick recording of this test track played on Phantom, both via AirPlay and via Spark?
That would be meaningful, before it hopefully becomes fixed.
Thanks a lot!

I have uploaded a sound file to Dropbox: Crackle 

The recording was made on my iPhone, so may not be the best quality! However, it does demonstrate the problem. You should notice the crackling is still there even when the frequency rises out of the audible range.

I don't think you need a recording played via Spark as it sounds just like the original!
The airplay issue still repro on latest Firmware 1.11.0.69
Devialet Dialog + Gold Phantom single (Ethernet)

Playback the test music from Spotify (from iPad Air2)

1. Spotify Connect : Not repro
2. Bluetooth : Not repro
3. Airplay to Apple AirPort Express optical to Gold Phantom : Not repro
4. Airplay to Gold Phantom : 100% repro

Airplay is not a P to P wireless protocol.
My Gold Phantom is wired to my home network.

So the airplay issue is 100% caused by Devialet Phantom

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送
Thanks a lot both of you for the instructive sound capture and condition testing (no need for a Spark reference, indeed).

The sound quality is enough to make me think of some sample skipping/duplication, that shouldn't be too complicated to fix IMHO, once a ticket is opened (this capture could be helpful).