Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay Crackle
(22-Feb-2017, 18:03)Chris Wrote: I have two Gold Phantoms and an AirPlay compatible Dialog.

I started noticing some crackling at high frequencies when playing some tracks using AirPlay, so decided to investigate further with some test tones: The problem was then very obvious! If you have a Phantom and/or Dialog with AirPlay compatibility, could you try playing this track from iTunes/Apple Music using AirPlay? Flat Low Distortion Sweep from 2 - 20 KHz

I get distortion from both Phantoms if I use AirPlay to the Dialog, but also on one Phantom if I AirPlay directly to it. 

Playing the same test tracks using Tidal in Spark, or to other makes of AirPlay speaker, does not produce any distortion, so it would seem that the issue is only with AirPlay on the Phantom and Dialog.

Devialet Support seem to be going round in circles and I can't get them to tell me whether they can reproduce the problem or not.

The distortion/crackle has been mentioned in the Spark vs AirPlay poll, with a couple of others reporting similar issues to me, but I thought it was worthy of its own thread, especially if all AirPlay Phantoms/Dialogs are affected!

I have one phantom gold, connected to the router with Ethernet, without dialog. I am facing the same static sound problem. What should I do? Would buying the dialog and playing on airplay through dialog finish the problem. Am considering buying another gold phantom, but if the static problem persistswith the dialog, then no use in buying. Please guide
(22-Feb-2017, 18:03)Chris Wrote: I have two Gold Phantoms and an AirPlay compatible Dialog.

I started noticing some crackling at high frequencies when playing some tracks using AirPlay, so decided to investigate further with some test tones: The problem was then very obvious! If you have a Phantom and/or Dialog with AirPlay compatibility, could you try playing this track from iTunes/Apple Music using AirPlay? Flat Low Distortion Sweep from 2 - 20 KHz

I get distortion from both Phantoms if I use AirPlay to the Dialog, but also on one Phantom if I AirPlay directly to it. 

Playing the same test tracks using Tidal in Spark, or to other makes of AirPlay speaker, does not produce any distortion, so it would seem that the issue is only with AirPlay on the Phantom and Dialog.

Devialet Support seem to be going round in circles and I can't get them to tell me whether they can reproduce the problem or not.

The distortion/crackle has been mentioned in the Spark vs AirPlay poll, with a couple of others reporting similar issues to me, but I thought it was worthy of its own thread, especially if all AirPlay Phantoms/Dialogs are affected!

Hello, i just bought a phantom gold, no dialog, connected it to ethernet direct to router. Am facing the same static sound issue. Tried using a line conditioner for electricity, reduced the static by 50% but the problem still persists only on airplay. Did u find a solution? Will using the dialog put an end to this problem?
(28-Feb-2017, 11:42)jrchiang.jaw Wrote: The airplay issue still repro on latest Firmware 1.11.0.69
Devialet Dialog + Gold Phantom single (Ethernet)

Playback the test music from Spotify (from iPad Air2)

1. Spotify Connect : Not repro
2. Bluetooth : Not repro
3. Airplay to Apple AirPort Express optical to Gold Phantom : Not repro
4. Airplay to Gold Phantom : 100% repro

Airplay is not a P to P wireless protocol.
My Gold Phantom is wired to my home network.

So the airplay issue is 100% caused by Devialet Phantom

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送

Hello. How do you connect airport express optical to the phatom,isnt the end on the airport express a 3.5mm jack. If we use a connecter with toslink to 3.5mm, won't the quality drop a lot, because one end would be digital and the other optical?
(02-Jun-2017, 23:29)mustibhae@gmail.com Wrote:
(28-Feb-2017, 11:42)jrchiang.jaw Wrote: The airplay issue still repro on latest Firmware 1.11.0.69
Devialet Dialog + Gold Phantom single (Ethernet)

Playback the test music from Spotify (from iPad Air2)

1. Spotify Connect : Not repro
2. Bluetooth : Not repro
3. Airplay to Apple AirPort Express optical to Gold Phantom : Not repro
4. Airplay to Gold Phantom : 100% repro

Airplay is not a P to P wireless protocol.
My Gold Phantom is wired to my home network.

So the airplay issue is 100% caused by Devialet Phantom

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送

Hello. How do you connect airport express optical to the phatom,isnt the end on the airport express a 3.5mm jack. If we use a connecter with toslink to 3.5mm, won't the quality drop a lot, because one end would be digital and the other optical?
Hi and welcome to the forum. 
The Airport Express has an optical/analogue 3.5 mm output. If you use a 3.5 mm jack you'll get an analogue signal, if you use a 3.5 mm toslink you'll get the optical signal. Optical is digital by the way.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I have had a new response from Devialet support:

"I wanted to get back to you concerning the "buzzing" that can occur while playing AirPlay on the Phantom.
I have discussed this matter with our teams, this is indeed a known issue - which will be solved in a future software update - Spark 2.0."

The good news is that they have finally acknowledged the issue, but I suspect we may be waiting sometime for Spark 2.0.

Bad that Devialet released software with this problem: how could they not have noticed? Worse that it still isn't fixed after nearly 6 months and two software updates. Please open support tickets if you haven't already, to exert pressure on their software team to release a proper fix!
(02-Jun-2017, 23:24)mustibhae@gmail.com Wrote: Hello, i just bought a phantom gold, no dialog, connected it to ethernet direct to router. Am facing the same static sound issue. Tried using a line conditioner for electricity, reduced the static by 50% but the problem still persists only on airplay. Did u find a solution? Will using the dialog put an end to this problem?

I have not found a solution. The crackle is there when you use AirPlay regardless of whether you go via the Dialog or direct to a phantom. I have tried all combinations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m having the same issue with my Golds when using AirPlay. 
The speakers are brand new, just got them delivered today, very disappointing.
I just hope it’s a software issue and will be sorted out soon.
Devialet 1000PRO CI,  Canton Reference 2.2DC, REL Carbon Special, Inakustik LS 2404 AIR, Digital, Ansuz MainzA2, 2x Gold Phantoms on Trees, Simaudio Moon 430HAD, Kennerton Thekk, Kennerton Rognir Dynamic

You would have thought fixing sound quality issues would be top priority, but alas no... the AirPlay problem has been there for nearly a year. I'm pretty sure it is a software issue that can be fixed, but maybe not enough people have complained or noticed it for them to bother. Please open a ticket (if you haven't already) to add a bit more pressure and don't let them give you the run around. Hopefully, they will admit that it is a known problem. I might open another one myself to see what's happening...
I’m having the same issue with my Golds when using AirPlay. 
The speakers are brand new, just got them delivered today, very disappointing.
I just hope it’s a software issue and will be sorted out soon.
Devialet 1000PRO CI,  Canton Reference 2.2DC, REL Carbon Special, Inakustik LS 2404 AIR, Digital, Ansuz MainzA2, 2x Gold Phantoms on Trees, Simaudio Moon 430HAD, Kennerton Thekk, Kennerton Rognir Dynamic

This does seem the theme for Devialet.
For ages now there has been the accepted problem of crackle when using toslink to the dialog.
We’ve had many updates but nothing improves the sound. They only seem interested in increasing volume so we can hear the poor sound even more!
Shame on them they accept there are issues but never bother to actually fix anything.
And yes, I have raised more than one ticket about the toslink issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk