Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audioquest speaker cables vs competition
I noticed AudioQuest to be very well regarded with their usb cables but minor have mentioned their speaker cables.
How does their top of the line in every cable category compare to competition ? 
I fail to understand the difference between Star-Quad / Rocket / Flat Rock / Tree series. 

I know here in devialet people are knowledgable of cables more than other relevant forums. I appreciate your feedback.

ps: my speaker cable is Naim Nac A5 Smile

I apologize if this topic is not relevant to this subforum.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
The topic would be better in "Tweaker's Corner".
Star-Quad are four conductors twisted around each other (two positive & two negative), 15 AWG in total.
Rocket are two sets of those (two sets of four), 14-13 AWG in total.
Flat rock are thicker Rocket, 12 AWG.
Tree are counter spirals (conductors wrapping the other way around a star quad), 9 AWG.
The Audioquest website shows pictures of all of these constructions, which is probably clearer than my words, as well as which materials are used as you go up the line.
As to how how they compare to the competition that's a larger question. You can read around or try some from a dealer or lending library.
Currently I am trying out the AudioQuest rocket 44, initial impression is not a positive one. But I am told to give it 100hrs before making a final judgment. Right now the cable sounds veiled and congested, but the mids are very good especially the vocals. The guitar strings don't seem to have the bite/twang. While wait and see how it changes or not.
Haven't compared directly but can say the quality of construction is not up to Nordost's standard. Had a USB Coffee running from a hard drive enclosure to an Aries but then the weave/covering on the cable started to unravel at one end. AQ did replace it but the quality wasn't reassurring. A second point, asked if it could be repaired/reterminated but was told their stock is made in China so not possible.
Nordost has their factory stateside and can re-terminate any of their line.
Bulletproof construction and, to my ear, the better sonics.