Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
Confused

I posted on CA after you asking how to ground the switch.

Sorry for this is dumb question, but realise one end of the ground cable goes to the AQVOX, but where does the other end go?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(24-Apr-2017, 23:51)Celts88 Wrote: Confused

Sorry for this is dumb question, but realise one end of the ground cable goes to the AQVOX, but where does the other end go?

I was thinking of getting a normal 3 pin UK plug with one wire connected to earth (ground), and connecting this to the Aqvox. (This should work fine with Australian spec plugs also)  The alternative is to connect to the little earthing post at the back of the Devialet.  Personally, I find the Devialet's earthing post a little fiddly and difficult to get right, this is based on use for my turntable ground.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Apr-2017, 09:42)Confused Wrote:

I was thinking of getting a normal 3 pin UK plug with one wire connected to earth (ground), and connecting this to the Aqvox. (This should work fine with Australian spec plugs also)  The alternative is to connect to the little earthing post at the back of the Devialet.  Personally, I find the Devialet's earthing post a little fiddly and difficult to get right, this is based on use for my turntable ground.
Confused

Sorry if I come across like your username, so if I take a simple extension lead, remove the Neutral and Live cables from the plug that goes into my expansion filter board, and then take the earth cable and attach this to the AQVOX I'm good to go.

Or I can take a single cable connected to the AQVOX and attach this to the Earthing point on my Expert Pro then this will do the same (how is the Expert earthed).

Thanks for your help.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
is this switch useful when using AIR ? I guess yes since Ethernet is used to play music after all ?
Currently using a Cisco switch
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(25-Apr-2017, 18:45)Celts88 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2017, 09:42)Confused Wrote:

Confused

Sorry if I come across like your username, so if I take a simple extension lead, remove the Neutral and Live cables from the plug that goes into my expansion filter board, and then take the earth cable and attach this to the AQVOX I'm good to go.

Or I can take a single cable connected to the AQVOX and attach this to the Earthing point on my Expert Pro then this will do the same (how is the Expert earthed).

Thanks for your help.
Best not to be confused when wiring mains plugs! Sad   To clarify, what I am planning to do is get a mains plug of the type that you can wire yourself, and connect a single wire to the earth pin, and connect this to the Aqvox earthing post.  Essentially this is the same as you are proposing with an extension lead.  The ground post on the Devialet is connected to the case & earth, with the earth connection via the earth cable in the Devialet's mains power lead, to the earth pin in the plug, to your domestic mains earth.  So connecting this way is basically the same as a separate lead to single wire to the earth pin in a plug.  The Devialet's case is connected to earth, the idea being that if any of the high powered electrical stuff in the case goes wrong and connects with the case (which could kill you), it trips the earthing circuit breaker and so disconnects the power.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Apr-2017, 21:07)Confused Wrote:
(25-Apr-2017, 18:45)Celts88 Wrote:
(25-Apr-2017, 09:42)Confused Wrote: I was thinking of getting a normal 3 pin UK plug with one wire connected to earth (ground), and connecting this to the Aqvox. (This should work fine with Australian spec plugs also)  The alternative is to connect to the little earthing post at the back of the Devialet.  Personally, I find the Devialet's earthing post a little fiddly and difficult to get right, this is based on use for my turntable ground.
Confused

Thanks for your help.
Best not to be confused when wiring mains plugs! Sad   To clarify, what I am planning to do is get a mains plug of the type that you can wire yourself, and connect a single wire to the earth pin, and connect this to the Aqvox earthing post.  Essentially this is the same as you are proposing with an extension lead.  The ground post on the Devialet is connected to the case & earth, with the earth connection via the earth cable in the Devialet's mains power lead, to the earth pin in the plug, to your domestic mains earth.  So connecting this way is basically the same as a separate lead to single wire to the earth pin in a plug.  The Devialet's case is connected to earth, the idea being that if any of the high powered electrical stuff in the case goes wrong and connects with the case (which could kill you), it trips the earthing circuit breaker and so disconnects the power.
Thanks Confused

Is there a reason you're going to earth the Aqvox to a power board, rather than to the Earthing point on the Devialet?

Australia (Perth)
I've spoken to AQVOX and they do not recommend connecting the ground pin to your AC safety ground. Apparently they already tried this in their testing and did not get good results, but ultimately the results will depend on your AC.

Personally I would try as a first option connecting this to the Devialet, the idea being to tie both chassis grounds together and therefore minimise ground potentials between units. The benefits may be greater if you are using separate spurs to power Devialet and switch. As I haven't tried this I have no idea if this will do anything.

If you already have a ground box such as Entreq or CAD it is certainly worth trying to connect the switch to this. I have been experimenting with the Entreq and am getting good results. At first I connected the switch to the ground box using an RJ45 ground cable (spade at one end and RJ45 connector at other) and was very happy with this (see my earlier report). Then last night I tried using the ground pin instead using a spade to spade ground cable. I am pretty sure this improved things further but given that they were already very good it is difficult to be absolutely certain. I will try going back to the RJ45 connection when I get a chance.

I think the AQVOX should sound pretty good without the grounding - certainly AQVOX don't recommend doing any of this. What they do recommend is the use of decent shielded CAT7 or higher (and preferably their cables! Angel ). I am using AQ Diamond here which I bought a few years ago but there are now many much cheaper decent alternatives including Supra at £40 for 2M.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
To add to the confusion.....

Some say connect the input to port 1 and output to port 8, because port 8 is prioritised...... (I just happened to use port 1 in, and 3 out, when I did my A/B test)

Then I see this picture.......

http://www.aqvox.de/index_en.html
(26-Apr-2017, 11:52)Confused Wrote: To add to the confusion.....

Some say connect the input to port 1 and output to port 8, because port 8 is prioritised......  (I just happened to use port 1 in, and 3 out, when I did my A/B test)

Yes, haha!

Again I don't think AQVOX have said anything about ports.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(26-Apr-2017, 11:54)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(26-Apr-2017, 11:52)Confused Wrote: To add to the confusion.....

Some say connect the input to port 1 and output to port 8, because port 8 is prioritised......  (I just happened to use port 1 in, and 3 out, when I did my A/B test)

Yes, haha!

Again I don't think AQVOX have said anything about ports.

Guillaume
Hello,
according to the D-Link data sheet there is no prioritization of the data ports.
All ports are equal!

http://www.dlink.com/de/de/products/dgs-...net-switch
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria