Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
(05-May-2017, 02:22)Celts88 Wrote: What did you do different with the grounding?

I received my Aqvox 2 days ago so only just starting to burn in, but would also like to look at the grounding option.

I started off grounding the unit using a special ground cable with an RJ45 connector at one end and a spade at the other (to connect to the ground box).

I changed this to using a ground cable with spades at both ends and connected to the AQVOX switch using the ground post at the back of the unit.

It was soon after that that I started to notice more changes, however I cannot discount the possibility of burn in affecting this change since I can't be bothered to A/B both grounding methods.   Rolleyes

I often like to throw the kitchen sink at changes and see where things get to.  Tongue

Either way the level of enjoyment I am now experiencing with Qobuz streaming is unprecedented. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-May-2017, 02:22)Celts88 Wrote:
(04-May-2017, 19:49)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(04-May-2017, 19:31)petrik Wrote: That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

I think the Aqvox might benefit from a proper burn in time since it seems to get better and better all the time. The more I listen with it, the more I like it.

And I haven't yet tried grounding it. It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

In my setup grounding it has made a significant improvement. I made a change to the type of grounding recently ...... 

Guillaume
Guillaume

What did you do different with the grounding?

I received my Aqvox 2 days ago so only just starting to burn in, but would also like to look at the grounding option.

Thanks
John

First impressions John?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guillaume

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and do any proper listening sessions, currently getting ready for a big trip to the USA/Canada (LA, Alaska - main part of trip, Vancouver, Las Vegas & San Fran), it's my wife's 40+10th (not allowed to say 50, that's a big no no  Rolleyes  ).

I've an Antipodes DS Server and listen to my music via USB from this to my Pro using Roon. Only listening to my music files stored on the HDD of the Antipodes at present, but when I return from our trip will give Tidal a try (have a couple of free vouchers so more time to listen then). I'm also tempted to give the Stello U3 / MIT Proline Reference AES a try from the Antipodes to the Pro, but know the Stello U3 isn't high quality so worried this will detract from the sound.

I don't have a grounding box, but believe it's possible to attach the Aqvox to the Pro if required (some say not to as this could transfer noise form the Aqvox). Good grounding boxes aren't cheap, but believe there are meant to be a few good(ish) cheap ones from China via eBay, but which one to get (I don't want to punt for the wrong one).

I know the best approach would be to get a grounding box, but funds a bit short at present as got made redundant last month, and lots of money going out for our big trip above.

Glad the Aqvox is doing good things for your set-uo  Smile

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
An update on my Aqvox switch. It has been in my system over two weeks now. Last weekend I managed to get much listening in with quite a variety of music, and I have to say that there were times I was thinking that maybe the Aqvox was offering some improvements. This was generally with less complex and more ambient music, in particular where you can hear the ambience of the room, little things. Ambience, a more natural soundstage, this kind of thing was catching my attention. It is at times like this that I am glad I stick to my never change two things at once rule, if say I had loaded the new 10.1.0 firmware, I would have had no way are knowing if these slight improvements I thought I was detecting were firmware or switch related.

I have also made up a earth lead for the Aqvox case. Now, some have advised that it's best to connect to the grounding pin on the amp (best for eliminating leakage loops), others to the power strip, (why connect a noisy earth to your amplifier?) OK, I had to choose one option, and I made up a simple earth lead to the power strip where the Aqvox is connected. Why? It was the simplest and neatest way of doing it for me, and to be honest, ground is ground, the amp's ground pin, the earth connections on the power strip, they are all connected together.

This morning I had some quiet time on my own, so I tried another run of direct A/B tests against the old switch, with the ground cable added, and of course quite a few more hours on the Aqvox since I last tried. My conclusion this time around is very similar to my original conclusion. Does it make a difference? Yes I think it does, but for me in my set up, it is very small. When comparing items with a very small differences in sound quality, there is always the possibility of placebo effect and 'expectation bias' being an influence. Am I 100% sure that my brain is not tricking me and I'm just imagining any improvements? To be honest, the improvements I am picking up probably are in the range that I could be kidding myself.

Anyway, I don't want to spend the rest of my years A/B testing things, so I am almost done with testing the switch now. There is one last thing I want to try, and that is an A/B comparison with the old switch and running AIR, rather than via mR/Mutec. The Aqvox will stay in my system, I am reasonably happy that it may be affording some improvements, but overall I have to say I'm a little disappointed with it too.

Once I have had a quick try with the Aqvox and AIR, it will be time to try that lovely firmware 10.1.0 that everyone is raving about! At least that one is free. Plus Mr Postman has just arrived and delivered the new firmware 2.5 SD card for my microRendu, it never ends!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hello, to the topic of earthing I can contribute from my experiences something. A grounding only makes sense all the necessary grounding points centrally to one point. I have tried a long time and am very satisfied with the following solution! A direct grounding (6mm) from the grounding point in the basement to the listening room, the cable is connected to a massive copper rail, the rail is equipped with 4mm sockets (picture is an example) and each device is connected in star shape! No hum or radio radiation (For exotic pickups and tonearm cabling)!! Grounding from device to device always produces potential differences and creates ground loops, so a star grounding is preferable! Costs about 50 € Shy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
This morning I have tried A/B testing the Aqvox versus my old switch, using AIR 3.0.4. I had two reasons for doing this, firstly some previous posters where asking about the potential for the Aqvox to improve sound quality with AIR. (@brit / David, as I recall, there may have been others) The second reason was that I figured that I am using the switch in front of a microRendu and Mutec MC3+USB. This is a combination that should provide isolation and re-clocking, so perhaps any short comings in the old switch were somehow being masked by the good work of the Mutec. So in other words, I was expecting it to be easier to discern the good work of the Aqvox via AIR. I had intended this to be a fairly quick and straightforward test, but I ended up spending more time on it than I had expected, with a lot of rapid A/B swaps on particular sections of music. The reason I did this was because on a couple of occasions I felt that the old cheap TP Link switch was best! There was still a very vague feeling that the sound stage was a little better with the Aqvox, but I really cannot be sure. I have to be blunt here, in my view the Aqvox would be a complete waist of money to use with AIR, spend it somewhere else!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused do you still think it makes a difference with microRendu and Mutec big enough to justify the price?

I still wonder what the diffrences between Aqvox and JCAT version of the switch is as JCAT is half the price.

http://jplay.eu/jcat/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(07-May-2017, 11:56)octaviars Wrote: @Confused do you still think it makes a difference with microRendu and Mutec big enough to justify the price?

I still wonder what the diffrences  between Aqvox and JCAT version of the switch is as JCAT is half the price.

Now that got me thinking......   I had kind of reached the conclusion that if I knew a month ago what I know now, I would not have bought the switch, but having said that, now I have it I am reasonably happy to keep it.  I think it is a personality defect that I have, that I generally do not like sending / taking stuff back for refunds.

However, a quick check reveals that I am just about within the 30 day return period.  I have sent an email to Aqvox advising of my observations and checking it is indeed eligible for return.  If so, it will be on it's way back next week.  Meanwhile, I may just take a punt on the JCAT option.  However that one works out, it will at least be 200 Euros in my favour!
(07-May-2017, 11:13)Confused Wrote: This morning I have tried A/B testing the Aqvox versus my old switch, using AIR 3.0.4.  I had two reasons for doing this, firstly some previous posters where asking about the potential for the Aqvox to improve sound quality with AIR.  (@brit / David, as I recall, there may have been others)  The second reason was that I figured that I am using the switch in front of a microRendu and Mutec MC3+USB.  This is a combination that should provide isolation and re-clocking, so perhaps any short comings in the old switch were somehow being masked by the good work of the Mutec.  So in other words, I was expecting it to be easier to discern the good work of the Aqvox via AIR.  I had intended this to be a fairly quick and straightforward test, but I ended up spending more time on it than I had expected, with a lot of rapid A/B swaps on particular sections of music.  The reason I did this was because on a couple of occasions I felt that the old cheap TP Link switch was best!  There was still a very vague feeling that the sound stage was a little better with the Aqvox, but I really cannot be sure.  I have to be blunt here, in my view the Aqvox would be a complete waist of money to use with AIR, spend it somewhere else!

Hi Confused, it was indeed I who posed the question re Aqvox and AIR Smile . Many thanks for taking the trouble to carry out this test, very much appreciated from my point of view - I think that you have saved me some money Big Grin .

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(07-May-2017, 13:08)Confused Wrote:
(07-May-2017, 11:56)octaviars Wrote: @Confused do you still think it makes a difference with microRendu and Mutec big enough to justify the price?

I still wonder what the diffrences  between Aqvox and JCAT version of the switch is as JCAT is half the price.

Now that got me thinking......   I had kind of reached the conclusion that if I knew a month ago what I know now, I would not have bought the switch, but having said that, now I have it I am reasonably happy to keep it.  I think it is a personality defect that I have, that I generally do not like sending / taking stuff back for refunds.

However, a quick check reveals that I am just about within the 30 day return period.  I have sent an email to Aqvox advising of my observations and checking it is indeed eligible for return.  If so, it will be on it's way back next week.  Meanwhile, I may just take a punt on the JCAT option.  However that one works out, it will at least be 200 Euros in my favour!

I think most vendors that offer return periods kind of count on that fact. I lost about £1,000 selling an amplifier second hand because I hesitated on such a return!

I really like your reviews too Condused, very open and honest. I'd give you more points but frankl it's just getting silly so you'll have to wow to get ratings now! Big Grin I was sceptical of a switch being an upgrade, and while I had no serious plans to buy it, you've saved me the 'doubt'.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<