Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
Hi, linear power supplies gets already from 49€ upwards (Conrad Electronic etc.) Since you can start times even a test and the result itself evaluate Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(19-Mar-2017, 10:30)K4680 Wrote: Hi, linear power supplies gets already from 49€  upwards (Conrad Electronic etc.) Since you can start times even a test and the result itself evaluate Rolleyes

I wrote more that they state the supplyed PSU is the best and no linear makes any difference. For all of them that goes all in on PSU and buys LPS-1 and Paul Hynes if find it difficult to see them use the switchmode original PSU no matter what Aqvox did to it........
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(19-Mar-2017, 12:58)octaviars Wrote:
(19-Mar-2017, 10:30)K4680 Wrote: Hi, linear power supplies gets already from 49€  upwards (Conrad Electronic etc.) Since you can start times even a test and the result itself evaluate Rolleyes

I wrote more that they state the supplyed PSU is the best and no linear makes any difference. For all of them that goes all in on PSU and buys LPS-1 and Paul Hynes if find it difficult to see them use the switchmode original PSU no matter what Aqvox did to it........

Well let's give them the benefit of doubt and see what this thing can do.

If Paul Hynes wants to make me a power supply to match the Aqvox then I'll very happily try it out and report my impressions on here.  Tongue Big Grin

Actually that could really put the cat among the pigeons in Aqvox-land!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Here is a test of Hifi-Statement! Rolleyes

http://www.hifistatement.net/tests/item/...q-switch-8
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
SMPS power supplies inherently have higher leakage currents and emit more noise than a good LPSU. That's the major reason many people (like me too) avoid them in their systems, they can cause issues in the system whether they improve the device they're powering or not. The last time someone convinced me his SMPS would be alright (this was Alex of Uptone Audio with the Regen) I was treated to a slight high frequency shimmer riding the highs so away it quickly went! Smile This could have been system dependant BTW, perhaps I suffered from it because of my P3 Power Plant. For leakage currents to have less damaging effects you're best of with a very low impedance AC feed sharing the same earth. So a non filtering power strip connecting all equipment would be best in this case.

Of course there's good and bad PSU's of both types so it's just a general rule of thumb.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Typical! They just tried to deliver it and I was on the phone.  Angry

So I will collect from Post Office tomorrow.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Mar-2017, 16:31)Antoine Wrote: SMPS power supplies inherently have higher leakage currents and emit more noise than a good LPSU. That's the major reason many people (like me too) avoid them in their systems, they can cause issues in the system whether they improve the device they're powering or not. The last time someone convinced me his SMPS would be alright (this was Alex of Uptone Audio with the Regen) I was treated to a slight high frequency shimmer riding the highs so away it quickly went! Smile This could have been system dependant BTW, perhaps I suffered from it because of my P3 Power Plant. For leakage currents to have less damaging effects you're best of with a very low impedance AC feed sharing the same earth. So a non filtering power strip connecting all equipment would be best in this case.

Of course there's good and bad PSU's of both types so it's just a general rule of thumb.

So very true. 
I bought iFi 5V for Chord Mojo and experienced the "high frequency shimmer" every time i powered the DAC. I was very disappointed and delegated iFi to power Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry Digi+ where it is dead silent. 
I guess there must be something wrong with power lines in Mojo. Its creator many times expressed, that he does not recommend listening when using external PS. While he pointed out increased internal DAC temperature in such scenario, but now i think there is something more to that.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(20-Mar-2017, 12:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: Typical! They just tried to deliver it and I was on the phone.  Angry

Guillaume

We want a first impression on the switch Wink
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(21-Mar-2017, 15:06)octaviars Wrote:
(20-Mar-2017, 12:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: Typical! They just tried to deliver it and I was on the phone.  Angry

Guillaume

We want a first impression on the switch Wink

Haven't got it yet! Will do so in the next hour or so.  Smile

Guillaume

UK
Ok so it's in!!

Just in case anyone was having evil thoughts about replacing the wall wart power supply:

So first impressions were like, great this is fine. Nothing really jumping at me. Possibly better, perhaps not. I should add that at this point I connected the switch to my Entreq box via an RJ45 ground cable (it was previously connected to my Paul Pang so apples and apples and all that!). 

I then tried different music including various albums that I've used in the past to evaluate changes in my system.

So I don't know if it's the Entreq kicking in but I start to become aware of something. Possibly this unit is just warming up and needs a few minutes to get going. Or perhaps it's just me becoming more aware.

So I'm specifically hearing something in the midrange, it seems a tad richer and more relaxed. It's almost like some hi-fi "fizz" has been removed from the system. So very specific examples? Passenger's opening track on the "Young as the Morning Old as the Sea" album. Previously there was a bit of brittleness in the sound, kinda like a digital hash thing. I heard this more in the more complex bits with lots going on, the percussion would get a bit fizzy and compressed. I always thought this was just a recording artefact thingy. Well... it's massively reduced now, almost gone. This was/is really surprising!

Overall I am left with this feeling that everything just feels calmer and more natural. Of course I've experienced this kind of effect a few times before when I've made other changes to the system. Each time it's surprising because you don't hear the noise until it's removed.

So I'm rather pleased about this and I would say it's definitely a keeper.  Cool

Guillaume

UK