Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
(10-Apr-2017, 14:30)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(10-Apr-2017, 14:11)Confused Wrote:
(10-Apr-2017, 10:43)petrik Wrote: It would be great if you could write your own little review about it at some point Shy

I have ordered one, too. It will be interesting to see whether we all agree on possible sq improvements.

Yes, I shall certainly report on my findings with the Aqvox.  This will be with the microRendu/Mutec and in time I will try it with AIR.  Having said that, I am still waiting for my notification for dispatch.  Aqvox are still quoting two weeks delivery on their website at the moment and it is now exactly two weeks since I ordered one.  It's looking a little unlikely I will have it for testing over the Easter holidays as I planned.

Mine took a couple of weeks to dispatch. I guess they have been inundated with orders as it is clearly the flavour of the month.

With that said it continues to delight me and I look forward to hearing everyone else's impressions, good or bad. Compared to my my Paul Pang switch the improvements wrought to my system are fairly dramatic and you don't have to concentrate too hard to hear what it is doing. 

Guillaume
hello, pleased to join your forum.
I have an optical bridge ( 2 tp link mc converters/ switch) and my naim nds is connected to the tp link with uptone js2 ps ( js2 also to my unitserve).
The first switch is a neatgear gs105 with teddy pardo ps and my unitserve is connected to it.
But the most critical switch, i think, is the switch before my nds/ streamer/dac.
So i want to ask if the aqvox switch would be worthwhile for me in this configuration?   thanks
perhaps my question is not very clear. I read in this forum that a lot of members enjoyed the optical bridge or optical network. So i wonder if this aqvox switch, before an optical bridge, will bring something in better sound quality.
(22-Apr-2017, 18:12)kelpi Wrote: perhaps my question is not very clear. I read in this forum that a lot of members enjoyed the optical bridge or optical network. So i wonder if this aqvox switch, before an optical bridge, will bring something in better sound quality.

This is a difficult one to answer, and to be honest there are not many people who have even tried the Aqvox switch yet, let alone tried one with and without an optical bridge.

It is perhaps worth considering that in some respects an optical bridge and the Aqvox switch are attempting to mitigate exactly the same problem.  That is elimination of noise and electro magnetic interference.  So using both is adding complexity in an attempt to solve a problem twice.  That said, an optical bridge may perform this function better than the Aqvox, who knows?  Also, the network bridge may invoke some negatives.  That said, for me it is a case that using both would be overly complex and unnecessary.  Reading the more recent posts in Antoine's system thread in this forum might provide some insights into this.

Of course, the Aqvox also claims to reduce jitter and includes reclocking.  I have to be honest here, I do not understand why this should help with Ethernet data transmission, consider the protocol's use of packet data and so on.  That said, there is now a lot of evidence that connecting devices like the microRendu via direct Ethernet connection improves sound quality.  This does not make sense to me either, but there are a lot of folk that have tried this now and report that indeed it does work.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(21-Apr-2017, 08:29)Confused Wrote: @petrik - Yes, I have the Aqvox.  I was hoping to get it in time for the Easter break.  As things turned out, I arrived home on Tuesday to fine a small package from Aqvox with a UK/EU adaptor plug, and a little card stating that I had missed a parcel delivery.  Anyway, I managed to pick it up on Wednesday.  I should have some time this weekend for some careful evaluation.  The Aqvox is plugged in and set up, so it will have been powered up for a good 60 hours by the time I listen to it carefully.

Hi Confused, I must admit that I am still on the fence about this one and suppose that I am awaiting a few more "glowing" reports back on the Aqvox. Will be interested to hear your views on it before (possibly) committing Confused. I am now using Roon, and AIR 3.0.4, via Ethernet, which does currently go via a D-Link 8 Port switch, so any possible gains to be achieved through changing the Ethernet Switch must be worth considering, even at a seemingly high cost Undecided.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I have now spent quite a bit of time carefully listening with the Aqvox switch. For the record, the setup was an i5 PC running Roon, this runs to a Virgin Media Superhub, about 10 meters of cat 5 Ethernet, the Aqvox, microRendu, Mutec MC3+USB, AES/EBU to the Devialet I ran through a selection of music with the Aqvox, then listened to the same playlist via my cheap and cheerful TP Link switch. After listening to about 45 minutes Aqvox and 45 minutes TP-Link, I was thinking that maybe there were some very subtle improvements, but to be honest I was not sure. I was taking some notes regarding anything I noticed that was particularly good or bad, and then moved on to listening to some key sections of music, and swapping between the Aqvox and TP Link switches. One observation here, it says something for the stability of Roon with the microRendu that I could get up, swap the Ethernet cables between switches, sit down, hit play on the iPad, and music played, somehow I was expecting more hassle!

Another point to note is that with the set-up mentioned above, you can remove the Ethernet cable feeding the microRendu, and music continues to play for a second or so.

Anyway, switching back between the Aqvox and the TP-Link with the key sections of music I think I did start to pick up some benefits from the Aqvox, but I have to say these are very small. One aspect was in terms of 'hearing the room', those tiny little sounds that give you some insight into where the music was performed, this seamed to be slightly improved with the Aqvox. In a couple of areas I felt that the sound stage was more robust and a very slight 'digital edge' was removed. I have to emphasise though that these differences were tiny, I am pretty confident that I would fail to separate the Aqvox and TP Link in a blind test. To give you an idea, after the two full runs through of the playlist, I did have some thoughts of checking the return policy for the Aqvox, although I thought that maybe I was picking up some improvements, I really was not sure. After the later rapid A/B swaps between the two switches, I did then start to think it was maybe worth keeping. To sum up, I would say that in terms of my most recent 'tweaks', I'd put the Mutec MC3+USB as a clear number 1 (if you can consider the Mutec a Tweak, it is perhaps more of a source component), the Uptone Audio LPS-1 to power the microRendu would be next up, then the Aqvox. To sum up, I've decided it's a keeper, but if I'm brutally honest I am not 100% sure how much of the improvements are real or in the range of expectation bias and placebo effect, it's a subtle one!

Anyway, I think I will leave it in the system and enjoy the music for a while. I also have a plan to try by-passing the nasty Virgin Superhub router using the old TP Link switch which is now going spare, but that's enough tweaking for a while!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Apr-2017, 12:58)brit Wrote:
(21-Apr-2017, 08:29)Confused Wrote: @petrik - Yes, I have the Aqvox.  I was hoping to get it in time for the Easter break.  As things turned out, I arrived home on Tuesday to fine a small package from Aqvox with a UK/EU adaptor plug, and a little card stating that I had missed a parcel delivery.  Anyway, I managed to pick it up on Wednesday.  I should have some time this weekend for some careful evaluation.  The Aqvox is plugged in and set up, so it will have been powered up for a good 60 hours by the time I listen to it carefully.

Hi Confused, I must admit that I am still on the fence about this one and suppose that I am awaiting a few more "glowing" reports back on the Aqvox. Will be interested to hear your views on it before (possibly) committing Confused. I am now using Roon, and AIR 3.0.4, via Ethernet, which does currently go via a D-Link 8 Port switch, so any possible gains to be achieved through changing the Ethernet Switch must be worth considering, even at a seemingly high cost Undecided.

David

David - I'm out of time today and I've had enough of A/B testing, but at some point I will try the Aqvox versus my old switch and running AIR.  In the meantime, I'd say save your money re the Aqvox, and put it towards a microRendu (or SOtM sMS-200) and a Mutec!
(23-Apr-2017, 13:51)Confused Wrote: I have now spent quite a bit of time carefully listening with the Aqvox switch.  For the record, the setup was an i5 PC running Roon, this runs to a Virgin Media Superhub, about 10 meters of cat 5 Ethernet, the Aqvox, microRendu, Mutec MC3+USB, AES/EBU to the Devialet  I ran through a selection of music with the Aqvox, then listened to the same playlist via my cheap and cheerful TP Link switch.  After listening to about 45 minutes Aqvox and 45 minutes TP-Link, I was thinking that maybe there were some very subtle improvements, but to be honest I was not sure.  I was taking some notes regarding anything I noticed that was particularly good or bad, and then moved on to listening to some key sections of music, and swapping between the Aqvox and TP Link switches.  One observation here, it says something for the stability of Roon with the microRendu that I could get up, swap the Ethernet cables between switches, sit down, hit play on the iPad, and music played, somehow I was expecting more hassle!

Another point to note is that with the set-up mentioned above, you can remove the Ethernet cable feeding the microRendu, and music continues to play for a second or so.  

Anyway, switching back between the Aqvox and the TP-Link with the key sections of music I think I did start to pick up some benefits from the Aqvox, but I have to say these are very small.  One aspect was in terms of 'hearing the room', those tiny little sounds that give you some insight into where the music was performed, this seamed to be slightly improved with the Aqvox.  In a couple of areas I felt that the sound stage was more robust and a very slight 'digital edge' was removed.  I have to emphasise though that these differences were tiny, I am pretty confident that I would fail to separate the Aqvox and TP Link in a blind test.  To give you an idea, after the two full runs through of the playlist, I did have some thoughts of checking the return policy for the Aqvox, although I thought that maybe I was picking up some improvements, I really was not sure.  After the later rapid A/B swaps between the two switches, I did then start to think it was maybe worth keeping.  To sum up, I would say that in terms of my most recent 'tweaks', I'd put the Mutec MC3+USB as a clear number 1 (if you can consider the Mutec a Tweak, it is perhaps more of a source component), the Uptone Audio LPS-1 to power the microRendu would be next up, then the Aqvox.  To sum up, I've decided it's a keeper, but if I'm brutally honest I am not 100% sure how much of the improvements are real or in the range of expectation bias and placebo effect, it's a subtle one!

Anyway, I think I will leave it in the system and enjoy the music for a while.  I also have a plan to try by-passing the nasty Virgin Superhub router using the old TP Link switch which is now going spare, but that's enough tweaking for a while!

thanks a lot for the honesty of your response, i really appreciate. I feel you must be right, i was thinking of this a little too, when you say that the addition of two components that have quite the same functions may be too much.  I will take time to listen to more sharings with the aqvox, specially in addition with optical bridges or ethernet isolator.
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(23-Apr-2017, 16:19)samsoum Wrote: B  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I have received some input from the clever folk over on CA. Two suggestions. One, connect the switch to ground. Two, use port 1 for input and port 8 for output. Apparently D-Link switches use QoS and have the highest priority on the last port. I had not connected to ground and I used ports 1 & 8 for my test yesterday.

I have no idea how much improvement these two can offer, but they are both easy enough to try and virtually cost free, so I'll give it a go and report back. It will be a couple of weeks before I have time to A/B test again, but when I do get time I'll give all this a try and compare against the old switch again. If I'm honest, I somehow doubt this will help much, but I'm ever open minded and you just never know!