Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom Gold MQA
Very interesting thread!

I still have three very basic questions:
1) what does MQA mean?
2) so if I use a Bluesound connected via Toslink with a Phantom, the sound quality playing Tidal will be better than using Spark connected wirelessly with the speakers?
3) what is the best way to connect a vinyl player? Currently, I have connected it to a Sonos Connect, and the Sonos device is connected via Toslink with one of the Phantoms. Would a different device (like a Bluesound) make a difference?

Thanks
(11-Jun-2017, 10:12)dasun Wrote: Very interesting thread!

I still have three very basic questions:
1) what does MQA mean?
2) so if I use a Bluesound connected via Toslink with a Phantom, the sound quality playing Tidal will be better than using Spark connected wirelessly with the speakers?
3) what is the best way to connect a vinyl player? Currently, I have connected it to a Sonos Connect, and the Sonos device is connected via Toslink with one of the Phantoms. Would a different device (like a Bluesound) make a difference?

Thanks

1. http://www.mqa.co.uk very simplistically it's a new file compression format for high res music

2. I think spark sounds better than any Toslink I have tried but the software is not the best. I use Roon via Toslink even though spark sounds better to me.

3. That works. No idea about blue sound but it may not sound any different. You are basically using the internal analogue to digital converter so it will depend on the quality of those.
I for one hope Phantom doesn't support MQA. I don't want my speakers paying them license fees, or my amps or my DAC or my software or the artists I listen to or the studios they record and master at. I don't want any of them paying up not least because they ALL "have" to. Sleazy and blatant money grab. I will happily take all the 24/192 flac or wav or aiff I can get.