Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Subwoofer
Hallo all.

I have now had a subwoofer for a little more than a week, I am astonished, why did I not buy one years ago, holy moly, the improvements are huge.

I use the crossover in my D200, all below 80Hz are sent to the sub, from 80Hz and up to the front.

Does anybody have the same experience? and have you tried other ways to do the crossover?

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
I'm interested in trying this myself, but have never got around to it as yet.

How big is your room, and did you have bass problems before?

Which sub did you buy?

I've never heard of your speakers before, so I looked them up, they look quite something.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(04-Mar-2017, 16:48)Morten Wrote: Hallo all.

I have now had a subwoofer for a little more than a week, I am astonished, why did I not buy one years ago, holy moly, the improvements are huge.

I use the crossover in my D200, all below 80Hz are sent to the sub, from 80Hz and up to the front.

Does anybody have the same experience? and have you tried other ways to do the crossover?

Kind regards Morten

Which sub? Keep thinking about trying one (for a bit more bass slam/pressure rather than depth per se)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It is a JL audio E112, I have received excellent support with regards to set up from JL Audio, so besides it sounds good they support the product.

My room is 23 square meters, my ceilings are angled, in the top around 4 meters, and in the sides 2,4m.

Yes, I have better bass, but it seems like the subwoofer set the music free, when I press the bottom on the Devialet remote and disconnect the sub (and the speakers return to full range) the music’s comes from the speakers, when the sub is enabled the speakers disappears and the music is just flowing.

I don’t think I had bass problems before, but it was time for a upgrade, before Devialet I had gear from PS Audio, and still receives Paul’s Post, he had on serval occasions recommended a sub, hence I thought I will give it a go.

I can only recommend to try it out, for the money spend it have elevate my system like newer heard before—Yes when I went from a PC to the Aurender it sound better, but this is something complete different.

I should also add that I have have placed it on a “Subdude” isolation platform

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Thanks, JL seem to get a lot of love. Did you try any other brands?

As it happens I've been reading Paul's posts on subs the last few days, as well as lots of other things.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
No only JL audio, I thought about REL but I read somewhere that they perform best if you connect them with to the speaker output, and then you can't use the crossover in the amp.

Br. Morten

Denmark
Thanks for the update Morten. Might be on my agenda for this year if I can figure where I'm going to put it.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Mar-2017, 16:48)Morten Wrote: Hallo all.

Kind regards Morten

Hi Morton,

Thanks for sharing your experience. 
Very nice sub! Reviews I read about JL subs are all very positive. 

I recently added a Velodyne 10" subwoofer to my system. 

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...4#pid58394

I chose this sub mainly because the built in room optimization software (like JL). Setup is very easy. I also use the crossover in my D200. 
Low pass is set to 65 Hz. My main speakers are not cut off. So my subwoofer is additional to the speakers.
I like a solid but controlled bass and find this subwoofer a significant upgrade to my system. 

So, yes, I have the same experience!

Regards, Simon

Grimm Audio MU1 (Roon+Qobuz)  ~   D220 Pro CI   ~   Magico A5
Digital Cables: Audioquest Diamond ethernet; Audioquest Diamond AES/EBU
Speaker Cables: Nordost Tyr  -  Power Cables: Shunyata Alpha EF (D220); Shunyata Alpha NR (Grimm)
Resonance Control: Bassocontinuo (rack); CeraBase slimline (footers)
The Netherlands -                        - August 2023 -
(04-Mar-2017, 22:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Thanks for the update Morten. Might be on my agenda for this year if I can figure where I'm going to put it.....

I know your issue is space and WAF but..

The age old problem with integrating subs is localization. Cross over to high and you localize the bass from them.  Even dead center between the speakers can annoy.  I ended up buying a second sub and running them stereo.

Sold the subs, and the problem speakers, spent way more than I wanted to on new speakers that don't need help in my room.  Problem solved.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Mar-2017, 00:33)Dr Tone Wrote:
(04-Mar-2017, 22:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Thanks for the update Morten. Might be on my agenda for this year if I can figure where I'm going to put it.....

I know your issue is space and WAF but..

The age old problem with integrating subs is localization. Cross over to high and you localize the bass from them.  Even dead center between the speakers can annoy.  I ended up buying a second sub and running them stereo.

Sold the subs, and the problem speakers, spent way more than I wanted to on new speakers that don't need help in my room.  Problem solved.

Which is the primary reason I haven't done it so far. Trouble is no speaker I like the look of and would fit my space is in my budget..... I've also demoed a few now, and all suffer the same issue to some extent so I'm sure it's mainly the room that's sucking out the bass. It must be the suspended floors I'm sure....

EQ is getting me some way there, but I think a subwoofer might just win out through brute force pressure. But I hate the thought of an extra big ugly box or two....