Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker recommendation with Dev Expert 120 ($2000-3000)
Hello

We have a local store that supplies Focal, B&W, Kef, Dali, Dynaudio, PMC, ProAc & Revel. The store only has Focal for auditioning. Every other brand is made to order.

For a budget of $3000 (can be stretched if needed) powered by a Devialet 120. What is the best brand/model to look at right now. I am looking for stronger highs/mids. Bass is less important because my room is quite small 3x4m. 

A friend of mine suggested the Atohm GT1 SE and Focal Electra 1008be II. Is there anything else to look for? (not LS50 because I just sold it).

Appreciate your recommendation.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
KEF is your best bet. But the only problem i feel is that the KEF sound can be sometimes fatiguing over a long listening session. I personally like the silk dome tweeter as it is the least fatiguing over longer time. Hence brands like ProAC and PMC are worth looking into. With ProAc I have personally listened to the Response D Two and it is a lovely speaker. But as you mentioned you like stronger highs then KEF with its metallic tweeter is the way to go. Cant say you would get the same mids as you would with a ProAc with the KEF. Hope this helps your decision. Enjoy your musical journey and do let us know which way you went. Thanks, Rama
The Gauder Arcona 40 is one of the best small speakers I've ever heard. It is SAM-ed and works very well with a Devialet in my experience. Highly recommended to give them a listen.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

If your room is quite small, I'm guessing that you have to use your speakers fairly close to the back wall. The ProAc Response D20R have a downward firing port and the sound waves then exit sideways from the base of the enclosure, which suits use near to the rear wall. I use these speakers myself and love the ribbon tweeter especially, and they will give you the extended treble/high midrange that you are looking for. The sound is well balanced across bass and treble output and there is a SAM profile available. I urge you to get an audition of these beauties. 

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I'd say a pair of Gold Phantoms will be a better bet, that costs less than 120 alone.
Living Room: Phantom Gold
Bedroom: Dynaudio Contour 20 (white oak), Sonos Amp
(22-Mar-2017, 05:50)partita Wrote: I'd say a pair of Gold Phantoms will be a better bet, that costs less than 120 alone.

I appreciate the suggested system. However I don't want to be restricted to an unupgradable system.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
As an update, I am almost finalizing on Focal Electra 1008 be II. The beryllium tweeter and the W cone outclassed the Atohm GT1 SE in every category. Given the price is almost double for the Electra, I should have considered a higher level speaker to compete with it.

I am still open for suggestions as these bookshelfs cost $4100. Please consider that my room is fairly small and accommodate speakers with more than two woofer cones.
(22-Mar-2017, 11:02)Emerald Wrote:
(22-Mar-2017, 05:50)partita Wrote: I'd say a pair of Gold Phantoms will be a better bet, that costs less than 120 alone.

I appreciate the suggested system. However I don't want to be restricted to an unupgradable system.

I see. How likely do you think you might buy a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers, such as Focal Diablo Utopia or even Magico Q1, in a few years? These are what I consider could make a big difference from all-in-one systems.

As a Gold Phantom user I'd say Beryllium tweeter is indeed a smart choice if you want a system that can outperform any Phantom, though.
Living Room: Phantom Gold
Bedroom: Dynaudio Contour 20 (white oak), Sonos Amp
Well,

I discovered from Devialet team that the new II series of Electra 1008be is not yet in their SAM list. Going back to square 1.

Good with 120 - Average with 220 Pro: 
- Atohm GT1 SE (I am afraid these will only sound good with 120, not with 220 pro when I upgrade somewhere in the future where I will need bigger floorstandings)

Average with 120 - Good with 220 Pro: 
- Dali Rubicon 6
- Focal Aria 936
- Monitor Audio GX300

I don't have access to audition any. So I will be blessed by somebody who has, and could help me pick one of these. 

Main Question: 
Should I go temporarily with the good sounding Atohm (hard to sell to non-devialet owners) ? or get one of these floorstanding speakers and wait until I upgrade to 220 Pro (easy to sell/upgrade)?
depoends on how Long it will take to upgrade. I would invest into bigger Speakers if you dont plan to do the upgrade in the near future.
Have you thought about buying used Speaker? Somtimes this is a great Chance to get something better to a good value Price.
Most of the peaple threat their Things very good and Speakers get not touched all the time.
Canton Karat Reference 6.2 DC | Expert 220 Pro | Canton Karat AS500
Canton Karat Reference 2.2 DC | Expert 400
ROON Server | Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F | Mellanox Connect-X 3 40G | Samsung PM1725a 3.2TB
Ultrasone Edition 8 EX | Coord MOJO + POLY