Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR vs CD player
Gents,
Agree with the ideas and comments above. Have been streaming for the last few years with all the attendant issues...have been considering a CD Transport. I know my wife would enjoy the use of it. Gals are not, typically, willing to play around with this streaming stuff.
So what are the elements to look for in a good reference transport. It appears I will pay for the DAC we'd never use but at this point, my first requirement is a AES/XLR digital out....what else would you recommend?
Best
wdw
(31-Mar-2017, 15:08)zdenes Wrote:
(31-Mar-2017, 11:17)Axel Wrote:
(31-Mar-2017, 09:36)zdenes Wrote: It is a very valid question. If I put aside convenience, my transport is still neck-and-neck with any streaming I tried.
For now, the best streaming set-up has been HQPlayer to NAA (Hummingboard) with high quality ethernet and USB cables. Better than AIR3.04. Now, my MSB transport through AES/EBU input is still a touch better, even when playing an actual disc (it can also stream DLNA, but it's a pain).
Now, I suspect, that the difference might come from the Devialet's USB vs. AES/EBU input implementation. Devialet still says that the best input is AES/EBU. Next thing I need to try is a USB-AES/EBU converter, like the Mutec which many people use here.

Yes, you are correct, the AES/EBU is a better sounding input than the USB. I use a Mutec MC3+USB in between my NAS drive and the Devialet. It is probably the best £800 I've ever spent on Hi-Fi! Unlike when I bought my Mutec, I think they are now being stocked by Audio retailers, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange an audition. I had to buy "blind" but reviews on here and elsewhere boosted my confidence.
I can see that you are using JRiver. That is what I used for several years until about a couple of weeks ago. Then I tried HQPllayer, which is hands down better sounding streaming software even without NAA. You can download the trial version free for two weeks. The user interface is not very advanced to say the least but you can apparently use it as a plug-in with Roon to get a winning combination.
So, is the Mutec still beats the USB input, even on the Pro? I haven't upgraded my D800 yet.

Thank you for recommending HQPlayer.  I only started using JRiver, because it will run on my NAS drive.  I'd like to try software such as HQPlayer, Roon and the like, but I don't want a computer in my replay chain. I will wait to see what the streamer board brings to the party. If it's not Roon compatible, I might buy a micro Rendu or SMS-200, or whatever else may be available then.
To my ears, in my system, the Mutec into the D's AES/EBU sounds better than the NAS drive straight into the D via USB.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
In my case, trying very hard to keep it simple the maximum i can, a good transport to play the remaining cd´s, but using the AES/EBU connection, nothing else.
(03-Apr-2017, 01:07)Wdw Wrote: ... It appears I will pay for the DAC we'd never use but at this point, my first requirement is a AES/XLR digital out....what else would you recommend?
Best
wdw

A transport will not have a DAC hence the name. Most good high-end transports will have an AES/EBU output, and most of them now will probably also have a USB input and even perhaps an ethernet input for playing files. Some will play SACD, DVD-A, even Blue-ray disc but that only makes sense if it can output in PCM format. Anyway, if you only want to play redbook CDs, I would go for a good transport on the used market as many are changing to streaming and selling their transports.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500