Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
always-on setup (has auto-switch functionality changed?)
I've got two Phantoms + Dialog, that I use in an always-on configuration with a single audio source (a PC) running into the optical port of one of the Phantoms.  The idea is that the Devialet gear should stay in the same state - powered on, PC source selected, volume at whatever - and I should never have to touch it, nor open (ugh) Spark.  The PC is also always-on, and has a bottomless shuffle playlist - I can pause/unpause it from my phone or another computer, or program it to play at certain times as an alarm clock or vacation security measure.

Sometime in the past several weeks, the Devialet gear began "forgetting" the volume setting overnight, forcing me to open Spark and re-set the volume back from the default 30 to a normal listening level.  On a hunch, I turned off Auto-Switch.  This seemed to fix the problem for a few days, but now it's begun "pausing" the audio source (i.e. in Spark, the PC input shows a "play" icon) whenever there's no input signal, forcing me to open Spark and un-pause it.  At some point toward the beginning of this process, there was a firmware update, but I couldn't say exactly when.

So now the functionality seems to be:  Auto-Switch ON will pause/unpause the source in Spark based on the presence of an audio signal, but will periodically reset the volume to 30.  (Making Auto-Switch mostly pointless, since you have to open Spark to change the volume anyway.)  Auto-Switch OFF will pause the source, just like Auto-Switch ON, but *won't* unpause it.

Has anyone else noticed this change?  It seems like both Auto-Switch and Non-Auto-Switch now fail in a way that forces you to use Spark whenever you want to play music.
Yes something has changed with auto switch. I used to be able to switch my TV on which is connected to left Phantom and it would just switch over automatically. Now I get no volume and can't even switch it over in Spark. The only way is to restart the TV. Sigh..........
Well, at least I'm not crazy. :\

I've got to say, service & support with them has been maddening. If i'd given ~$7000 to any other company and received a product with so many non / partially working advertised features, I'd be irate. With Devialet, I've so far been chalking it up to, "Well, you knew what you were getting into." (based on internet reports pre-purchase). But actually taking functionality away that was there when I bought the gear... that may be a bridge too far.

To anyone else experiencing this issue: *please*, file support tickets and log files from Spark. Let them know that there's a problem. It took me almost two months to get their support guys to admit that the flaky Dialog optical input was a known issue - and that was (is, still) a widely known bug. I have a feeling Auto-Switch will never get fixed unless there's a critical mass of support tickets filed.
I wonder if they have reduced the sensitivity of optical inputs to try and fix the Dialog and inadvertently kneecapped auto switch. I will put in a ticket.
Stevec - thanks for following up.  Just received this from Julien in customer service:

Quote:I have discussed the volume control with our technical team. They have informed me that they will not adapt this again. As I mentioned before the volume setting have been arranged as a security measure.   This measure will not be removed.

So it sounds like they've determined that Phantoms will now put themselves to "sleep" (either by resetting the volume to 30, when in Auto-Switch, or by pausing the current source, when not) any time the input signal is lost.  And that it's "for your safety, sir".  Maybe it has something to do with this:  Phantoms can't be repaired.

What burns me is that they've effectively removed existing functionality after I purchased the system, and without any warning. (It's not in the release notes.) And there's no way of getting it back - Julien has informed me that Phantom firmware can't be rolled back.
btw - this may sound like a minor issue to most people, particularly anyone who uses Spark consistently.  But in my case, it pretty much prevents me from using my Phantoms.  As I explained to Julien:

Quote:My only audio source is a PC, which runs my home automation system. So I use it as an alarm clock, as a security measure to play music at preprogrammed times when I'm on vacation, to play music via voice command, when someone is at my door, etc.  I'm now unable to do any of these things while using the Devialet system as an output.

If anyone has a clever idea for a workaround, please post it.  I'm thinking maybe I can program my computer to emit a very low level audio "ping" every few minutes.  Low enough not to be audible, but loud enough to keep Auto-Switch "awake".
(06-Apr-2017, 17:28)meeotch Wrote: btw - this may sound like a minor issue to most people, particularly anyone who uses Spark consistently.  But in my case, it pretty much prevents me from using my Phantoms.  As I explained to Julien:

Quote:My only audio source is a PC, which runs my home automation system. So I use it as an alarm clock, as a security measure to play music at preprogrammed times when I'm on vacation, to play music via voice command, when someone is at my door, etc.  I'm now unable to do any of these things while using the Devialet system as an output.

If anyone has a clever idea for a workaround, please post it.  I'm thinking maybe I can program my computer to emit a very low level audio "ping" every few minutes.  Low enough not to be audible, but loud enough to keep Auto-Switch "awake".

Hi, I have a Sonos Connect connected to my Phantoms via the Dialog Optical input.  I haven't had an issue with the sound resetting itself or the volume resetting itself.  You could connect your computer to the Sonos connect via its analog input and have it set to autoswitch to the analog in.  I have this setup working really well.  I use it to play a white noise app on an iphone for my son's room.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante