Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(TRADED) 220 Pro
(05-Apr-2017, 17:00)no32 Wrote: What's is the 220 successor ?  I'm asking since I'm considering replacing my 2 x 250

McIntosh C47 preamp and MC301 quad balanced mono blocks.  Slightly more than a single 220 Pro new.

These are the smaller 6" tall chassis items from McIntosh so they work in my existing system stand.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hope you stick around and tell us all about it. Perhaps a 'what I moved onto after Devialet' thread Smile

Good luck with the sale. And setting up your new toys. Now, how do you log into their configurator to write your sd cards.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(05-Apr-2017, 20:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Hope you stick around and tell us all about it. Perhaps a 'what I moved onto after Devialet' thread Smile

Good luck with the sale. And setting up your new toys. Now, how do you log into their configurator to write your sd cards.....

I haven't actually heard the mono blocks, I was demoing the MC152 and actually still have all the demo equipment.  Only way my dealer would take the Devialet on trade was moving up the food chain a bit on the amplification and I new I wanted to go that route anyway but was getting concerned I would have to sell the 220 Pro as a mirror not an amplifier.

As for sticking around I imagine the consensus might be more like don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I recently had a chance to listen to the Luxman 700 series pre-power amp combo. Very impressive sound with the mytek Brooklyn. However something was just missing, the presentation was detailed but very in your face forward. I felt the SMS-200 was letting the whole system down, as the dealer was using the factory wall-wart. I will get a chance to do direct comparison by bring my D440pro to his home. I feel this is more going to be a preference thing rather than better or worse. Indian weather is not particularly suited for a hot class A/B amplifier of which first 10W is pure class A...ouch hot. But I liked the sound enough to take my 440Pro with me next time. I do miss having show piece amplification with the VU meter like that of the Luxman (glows with a nice shade of yellow). But that train has left the platform now..as it will be sometime before i go back to big/heavy amplifiers. But would it not be cool if Devialet added a VU meter in the next firmware, with some cool lighting.
(06-Apr-2017, 00:28)Rama Wrote: I recently had a chance to listen to the Luxman 700 series pre-power amp combo. Very impressive sound with the mytek Brooklyn. However something was just missing, the presentation was detailed but very in your face forward. I felt the SMS-200 was letting the whole system down, as the dealer was using the factory wall-wart. I will get a chance to do direct comparison by bring my D440pro to his home. I feel this is more going to be a preference thing rather than better or worse.  Indian weather is not particularly suited for a hot class A/B amplifier of which first 10W is pure class A...ouch hot. But I liked the sound enough to take my 440Pro with me next time. I do miss having show piece amplification with the VU meter like that of the Luxman (glows with a nice shade of yellow). But that train has left the platform now..as it will be sometime before i go back to big/heavy amplifiers. But would it not be cool if Devialet added a VU meter in the next firmware, with some cool lighting.

What does a comparison between a Luxman and your 440 Pro have to do with my for sale thread?

(06-Apr-2017, 02:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Apr-2017, 00:28)Rama Wrote: I recently had a chance to listen to the Luxman 700 series pre-power amp combo. Very impressive sound with the mytek Brooklyn. However something was just missing, the presentation was detailed but very in your face forward. I felt the SMS-200 was letting the whole system down, as the dealer was using the factory wall-wart. I will get a chance to do direct comparison by bring my D440pro to his home. I feel this is more going to be a preference thing rather than better or worse.  Indian weather is not particularly suited for a hot class A/B amplifier of which first 10W is pure class A...ouch hot. But I liked the sound enough to take my 440Pro with me next time. I do miss having show piece amplification with the VU meter like that of the Luxman (glows with a nice shade of yellow). But that train has left the platform now..as it will be sometime before i go back to big/heavy amplifiers. But would it not be cool if Devialet added a VU meter in the next firmware, with some cool lighting.

What does a comparison between a Luxman and your 440 Pro have to do with my for sale thread?

I just thought that it would encourage people to buy your 220 PRO as it is so good. Well the comparison is complete and I can truthfully say that the Luxman even though it was a solid performer was no match for the 440 PRO. Luxman and the Mytek combo was very detailed but not at all pleasing to the ear, there was a harshness to the top end. The sound was way too forward for my taste, and the cymbals sounded artificial. We switched to the 440 PRO and all of a sudden i found myself sitting in the third row. The sound was much more relaxed and sophisticated, the cymbals sounded natural, and all this without any loss in detail. After a few min of listening to the 440 Pro I started to notice the different layers within the music which was not so apparent with the Luxman and Mytek. There was also more depth in the sound-stage with the 440 PRO. All in all I was really overjoyed with the purchase of my D440 Pro and realizing I had made a great decision. The best part is if I ever have to move I can just pack my Devialet and carry it with me in the shoulder bag. Luxman is a heavy beast with the pre/pro weighing at about 50KG. I like my devices to be portable, same reason I never buy a desktop computer. Moving the Devialet from one room to the other is a joy..cant say the same when you have to lift 50KG. 

If anyone is considering to buy @Dr Tone 220PRO I would say go ahead without any hesitation, its the best amplifier/dac/streamer out there. And then upgrade with a 220Pro companion

Thanks,
Rama (Proud Devialet owner)