Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs Supernait/HDX
Hello,

I currently own a Naim HDX and the old Supernait, and a pair of Quad 2805. I am very tempted to trade in the Naim equipment and by a Devialet 120 instead. The problem is that there is no Deviate retailer around where I live so I cannot make a home demo and directly compare the systems. Therefore I would be very interested to know what all of you think of the 120 vs the SN/HDX combo as well as what you think of the 120 together with the Quads.

Best,
Peter
(03-Nov-2014, 20:44)Peter Wrote: Hello,

I currently own a Naim HDX and the old Supernait, and a pair of Quad 2805. I am very tempted to trade in the Naim equipment and by a Devialet 120 instead. The problem is that there is no Deviate retailer around where I live so I cannot make a home demo and directly compare the systems. Therefore I would be very interested to know what all of you think of the 120 vs the SN/HDX combo as well as what you think of the 120 together with the Quads.

Best,
Peter

Hi, I'm a long-term Naim customer who has recently moved to Devialet. I compared a Devialet 200 to my NDX/XPS2/282/HICAP/200 and to be honest it was an easy decision to make the change. The Devialet offered a far more detailed, transparent and accurate sound. I have heard a 120 several times and there's really very little difference between it and the 200. I went for the 200 as my speakers are quite power hungry. I haven't heard your Quads but I know that Devialets work well with other electrostatics e.g Martin Logan and I don't think yours present a particularly difficult load.

The only tricky decision you will have to make if you go for the Devialet is which source to go for: PC/Mac or a steamer. You could keep the HDX which would be an excellent source.

Good luck! Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Many thanks for your feedback. I just ordered the 120.

Best,
Peter
(05-Nov-2014, 23:03)Peter Wrote: Many thanks for your feedback. I just ordered the 120.

Best,
Peter

Well done - I'm sure you won't regret it Smile

As further reassurance, I recently heard of someone who's selling a Naim NDS, NAC 552 - based system and buying a Devialet 800.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
I also came from a Naim DAC, 282, Hicap DR, 250.2, NAPSC, power lines... You get the picture.

The 120 is far better IMO. Also, it's much simpler and I'm a lot better off financially!
Hi Novak,

can I ask what source you're using with your 120?. I've been dithering between the iMac and the NDX. ITunes/iMac/wi-fi AIR sounds pretty good - airy and detailed but a little light-weight. The NDX with Powerline Wink has more body and sounds a bit more rounded but slightly closed in. The iMac is more enjoyable for some types of music, the NDX for other types. Neither deliver 100% of what I want.

BTW, I tried the Powerline with the Devialet and preferred it to the stock cable which surprised me.

Philip
I feed the Devialet with a Mac Mini playing lossless. Works perfectly.

Re the powerline, it doesn't surprise me, I have never found mains cables to make a difference except when I added a powerline to a Supernait. No idea why and could have imagined it but it really took me by surprise.
(06-Nov-2014, 22:14)Novak Wrote: I feed the Devialet with a Mac Mini playing lossless. Works perfectly.

Re the powerline, it doesn't surprise me, I have never found mains cables to make a difference except when I added a powerline to a Supernait. No idea why and could have imagined it but it really took me by surprise.

Ok, thanks. It's a shame the Powerline doesn't fit under the Devialet rear cover otherwise I would buy one. I preferred it to the Musicworks Revive which I also tried.
Currently a very frustrated Naim owner (long story) but... whilst I'll be keeping my original cdx2 and xps2 until the former dies I am quite happy to explore alternatives to 200/202/NAPSC/Hi-Cap2DR. Powerline on the 200 too. Powerigel on the rest.

I'm looking at the 120 or a First Watt. Both simplify the box count but offer, I think, slightly different things. What specifically do ex Naim owners feel they gain from a DeVialet?
(09-Nov-2014, 22:23)mikehughescq Wrote: Currently a very frustrated Naim owner (long story) but... whilst I'll be keeping my original cdx2 and xps2 until the former dies I am quite happy to explore alternatives to 200/202/NAPSC/Hi-Cap2DR. Powerline on the 200 too. Powerigel on the rest.

I'm looking at the 120 or a First Watt. Both simplify the box count but offer, I think, slightly different things. What specifically do ex Naim owners feel they gain from a DeVialet?

Hi Mike,

First a comment on your existing system - I owned the same components and was never happy with them, I found the combination too bright and lacking in detail. I upgraded pretty quickly to a 282 and found that a very significant improvement over the 202 - a much more detailed, less harsh and much more enjoyable sound. So one option you could consider is a demo of the 282.

I think the 200 is a very good power amp for the money but a 250 is certainly a step up if you do move to a 282 (I tried the 202 with a 200 and it was disappointing combination). I used to enjoy listening to electronic and rock music with my CDX2/XPS2 but found that source annoying/fatiguing on other types of music. The NDX is perhaps not quite so engaging on electro/Rock but other types of music are far more acceptable. The other factors that persuaded me to sell my Naim gear were the very annoying buzzing transformers and dislike of the multi-box approach.

Don't get me wrong,I really like Naim amps but I'm afraid that I'm not impressed by their digital offerings apart from the NDS/555 streamer which I really like but it does cost £13k Huh and the CD555 which sounds superb.

Anyway, I home demo'd the Devialet 200 against my Naim gear and found the Devialet to be far more detailed and transparent. Lyrics are much easier to understand on complex music, bass is tighter and more extended and it has been fascinating to hear new instrumental lines and a quite different presentation of music. I use my Devialet at least twice as much as I used to use my Naim system and don't get annoyed by it Smile

The other advantages of Devialet: no need for a Fraim or other expensive support, fewer boxes, no buzzing transformers, no feeling that there's a need to endlessly upgrade. Also, the configurable phono input is excellent.