Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs Supernait/HDX
Thanks for that. I'm afraid I auditioned the 282 long ago and consider it a weak spot in the range. It was glassy, somewhat digital and rather artificially spotlit aspects of the sound. So, that's not on the agenda. Totally agree with your comments re: their digital offerings though.

The phono input is also of no interest by the way.
(12-Nov-2014, 01:48)mikehughescq Wrote: I'm afraid I auditioned the 282 long ago and consider it a weak spot in the range. It was glassy, somewhat digital and rather artificially spotlit aspects of the sound. So, that's not on the agenda. Totally agree with your comments re: their digital offerings though.

Well it just shows how people's taste vary - I didn't like the 202 (bright and a bit harsh) or 252 (boring..) but really liked the 282 and 552. Maybe you shouldn't take my advice about anything Smile

There's certainly no glassiness or digital edge to the sound of the Devialet so hopefully it will be more to your liking. Just be aware that the amps are very transparent and will faithfully expose all the good points and weaknesses of your CDX2. You may like the combination but if you don't then I would recommend that you consider streaming. The money you would get from selling the CDX2 and XPS2 should easily cover the cost of a decent Mac/PC or streamer like an Auralic Aries £1500/$1500 plus a NAS and allow you to use on-line lossless music services like TIDAL or Qobuz depending on location. The quality of these services is excellent and their catalogues extensive. Ripping CDs isn't exactly the most enjoyable task in the world but it's pretty straightforward. I did my own but there are companies who will do it for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks Philip. My interest in DeVialet was piqued by hearing it with Vivid at a show and it certainly had something. The cdx2 stays until it dies but after that I'm struggling. I've yet to hear a streamer that engages me like the CD player does. Lots of detail. Lots of air but nothing genuinely engaging to the extent that I sit there; close my eyes and find myself tapping my fingers or feet. However, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime I need to contemplate a demo, preferably at home, which should be fun as the nearest dealer is at least 50 miles away.
(13-Nov-2014, 01:10)mikehughescq Wrote: I've yet to hear a streamer that engages me like the CD player does. Lots of detail. Lots of air but nothing genuinely engaging to the extent that I sit there; close my eyes and find myself tapping my fingers or feet.

I know exactly what you mean. However I believe with the totaldac d1 server I may have finally cracked it.

Each time I hear a Devialet with a decent CD transport it always strikes me how good it sounds. And I say this as a die-hard streaming nut who gave up on CDs in 2008. Some of the high-end CD players sound fantastic now, it pains me to say it! Blush

I might try and borrow a good transport and do a comparison with my d1 server.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Nov-2014, 20:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(13-Nov-2014, 01:10)mikehughescq Wrote: I've yet to hear a streamer that engages me like the CD player does. Lots of detail. Lots of air but nothing genuinely engaging to the extent that I sit there; close my eyes and find myself tapping my fingers or feet.

I know exactly what you mean. However I believe with the totaldac d1 server I may have finally cracked it.

Each time I hear a Devialet with a decent CD transport it always strikes me how good it sounds. And I say this as a die-hard streaming nut who gave up on CDs in 2008. Some of the high-end CD players sound fantastic now, it pains me to say it! Blush

Guillaume

I would also tend to agree - I certainly found rock and electronic music less engaging through the NDX than the CDX2. The sound from the NDX (even using its own DAC) is certainly more-detailed but the excitement wasn't there.

I would differentiate between using a streamer's internal DAC (if it has one) and just using it as a 'digital hub'. For some reason I think the DAC implementations in the Naim streamers are not particularly good (NDS apart) - even Naim say the sound can be improved by adding an NDAC...

However, I've recently revised my opinion of the NDX after adding a Powerline and think that using digital out (by-passing the DAC) it is a very good (albeit expensive) hub. Maybe this is where 'round earth' meets 'flat earth'? There's certainly a lot more body and less harshness in the sound than when I stream from iTunes/iMac and there are certainly plenty of tracks that make my feet tap. That said, the best digital source that I've heard is the Naim CD555 though I've only heard that in the context of a 500-series system.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on CDX2/120
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Hello,

Yesterday I received the Devialet 120 that started this thread. So far I must admit that I am not really pleased with the sound. It sounds a bit “raw”, "harsh", or “metallic”. This is not at all what I had expected. If anything I would have thought that the Naim would be closer in that direction than the Devialet. Furthermore, when there are several instruments playing at the same time it is like the music doesn't gel properly. I keep turning down the volume because I think it sounds too harsh, and usually when things sound good my tendency is to turn the volume knob in the opposite direction. It could of course just be a matter of the amp having to burn in, but to judge from previous discussions in the forum it seems that the Deviatet does not need much a burn-in period. It would be very interesting to get your thoughts on this. I should add that I am now using the HDX as source.

Best,
Peter
(15-Nov-2014, 10:45)Peter Wrote: Hello,

Yesterday I received the Devialet 120 that started this thread. So far I must admit that I am not really pleased with the sound. It sounds a bit “raw”, "harsh", or “metallic”. This is not at all what I had expected. If anything I would have thought that the Naim would be closer in that direction than the Devialet. Furthermore, when there are several instruments playing at the same time it is like the music doesn't gel properly. I keep turning down the volume because I think it sounds too harsh, and usually when things sound good my tendency is to turn the volume knob in the opposite direction. It could of course just be a matter of the amp having to burn in, but to judge from previous discussions in the forum it seems that the Deviatet does not need much a burn-in period. It would be very interesting to get your thoughts on this. I should add that I am now using the HDX as source.

Best,
Peter

Hi, congratulations on buying the 120. There's a whole thread on Devialet run-in times which seem to vary considerably. My 200 sounded terrible at first (which was a shock given that the demo model was so good) and it took several weeks to run-in. Others have found that it can take months. Pretty much like Naim, in fact.
Hi Phil,
I wonder if it is me you heard about selling his 552/NDS/300/Fraim and to replacing it with an 800. Have not sold all of it so getting a 250 this Thursday from Paul at Hi Fi Lounge. He loaned me one for a fortnight and I really liked it. Just to get back to the subject being discussed I will be using my HDX and nas. The results are excellent.
Cheers
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(17-Nov-2014, 22:53)wwm Wrote: Hi Phil,
I wonder if it is me you heard about selling his 552/NDS/300/Fraim and to replacing it with an 800. Have not sold all of it so getting a 250 this Thursday from Paul at Hi Fi Lounge. He loaned me one for a fortnight and I really liked it. Just to get back to the subject being discussed I will be using my HDX and nas. The results are excellent.
Cheers

Hi - yes, I think it must have been you - I heard that people were fighting to buy your 552 Smile. I assume the 250 is the first step to be followed by the full 800 later? I love the sound of my 200 (which was a bit of an experiment after 20+ years of Naim amps) and may go to a 400 next time Devialet run a promo...

I've sent you a PM.

BTW, I still have an NDX which I was going to sell but Paul lent me a Powerline and it improved the sound so much that I will probably keep it at least until a single source for Qobuz, TIDAL, iRadio and FLAC/WAV becomes available.
Any update Peter?

I have booked a demo of the D-Premier with my Zu Superfly and Nain CDX2/XPS2 and Pioneer Kuro. Should be interesting.