Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for a newbie re: MC cartridge configurator settings
Brand new to a Dev. D400 and this forum. Very useful learning tool and so far so good after fussing with the Configurator to get it right. There is one place where I need some help. The Configurator does not recognize my older but very nice Ortofon Kontrapunct B mc cartridge. Given these specs  what should my setting be for the cartridge in Configurator?   (internal impedance, DC resistance -    5-200 Ohm) 

(02-Apr-2017, 20:14)Edavidgraham Wrote: Brand new to a Dev. D400 and this forum. Very useful learning tool and so far so good after fussing with the Configurator to get it right. There is one place where I need some help. The Configurator does not recognize my older but very nice Ortofon Kontrapunct B mc cartridge. Given these specs  what should my setting be for the cartridge in Configurator?   (internal impedance, DC resistance -    5-200 Ohm) 

Hi,

The following link gives some useful guidance on your cartridge, and some recommended resistive settings and output level:

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-kontrapunkt-b-p-620-n-4873
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Thanks for helping. Knowing these specs, what settings would you have in Configurator?
(02-Apr-2017, 22:26)davidgraham Wrote: Thanks for helping. Knowing these specs, what settings would you have in Configurator?

Would suggest:

MC Cartridge type, Stereo Channels
Max level 470 micro volts - could go to 500, but try 470 as this is the recommended.
Loading 140 Ohms (midway between the recommended 100 - 200 Ohms), 0 Capacitance 

In Advanced Settings tick "on" against Auto WiFi standby.
Set "RIAA 1976" as startup curve.
Sample rate 96kHz

Hope this helps. Come back if any problems.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Thanks from Canada Brit. That last bit of detail is exactly what I needed. It took me 4 tries using the Config. tool to get everything up and running properly. ( Those multiple stereo/mono settings escaped me as did a few other settings.) One more Config to get the MC right and I'm good to go. More listening today...simply awesome!
Cheers
David
(02-Apr-2017, 23:31)davidgraham Wrote: Thanks from Canada Brit. That last bit of detail is exactly what I needed. It took me 4 tries using the Config. tool to get everything up and running properly. ( Those multiple stereo/mono settings escaped me as did a few other settings.) One more Config to get the MC right and I'm good to go. More listening today...simply awesome!
Cheers
David

Hi David,
Did you know that you can change your cartridge settings on the fly? This is useful mainly for tailoring the loading, as a higher value will give you more "air". To do this, when you have the phono input selected, keep pressing the Tone button on the remote until  value you wish to change is highlighted in blue, then use the volume control to adjust the setting. When you are happy with the result, one press of the power button will return you to normal mode.
Welcome to the forum BTW.  Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(03-Apr-2017, 01:54)Axel Wrote:
(02-Apr-2017, 23:31)davidgraham Wrote: Thanks from Canada Brit. That last bit of detail is exactly what I needed. It took me 4 tries using the Config. tool to get everything up and running properly. ( Those multiple stereo/mono settings escaped me as did a few other settings.) One more Config to get the MC right and I'm good to go. More listening today...simply awesome!
Cheers
David

Hi David,
Did you know that you can change your cartridge settings on the fly? This is useful mainly for tailoring the loading, as a higher value will give you more "air". To do this, when you have the phono input selected, keep pressing the Tone button on the remote until  value you wish to change is highlighted in blue, then use the volume control to adjust the setting. When you are happy with the result, one press of the power button will return you to normal mode.

David,

Glad that you are happy with the system. Thanks to Axel for his input - you can also change the RIAA setting, on the fly, as well, but I think, in my system anyway, the 1976 version works best! But you can experiment to your hearts content now that you are up and running.
or, as alternative, 

UK
(03-Apr-2017, 09:13)brit Wrote:
(03-Apr-2017, 01:54)Axel Wrote:
Cheers
David

Hi David,

David,

Glad that you are happy with the system. Thanks to Axel for his input - you can also change the RIAA setting, on the fly, as well, but I think, in my system anyway, the 1976 version works best! But you can experiment to your hearts content now that you are up and running.

The other equalisation settings are only appropriate for very old mono LPs, each record company once had slightly different equalisation but most had standardised on RIAA by the 1960s, many earlier.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire