Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constellation Argo for D200?
Anyone had an opportunity to compare Devialet to any Constellation gear? I can buy a Constellation Argo integrated at a good price and wondered if it made sense SQ-wise. I realize it would require purchasing a separate dac, but that would allow more choices, i.e. MQA-enabled. I'm enjoying my D200 with an Antipodes DX and Magico S1 mkII speakers, but have always been enamored with the Constellation reviews and casework.

Any opinions would be gratly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
My only question would be why would you want 36 dB more THD and 49 dB less SNR?

With 84dB SNR, why bother with 24 bits, you can't even get 16 bits!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(08-Apr-2017, 21:55)KenL Wrote: Anyone had an opportunity to compare Devialet to any Constellation gear? I can buy a Constellation Argo integrated at a good price and wondered if it made sense SQ-wise. I realize it would require purchasing a separate dac, but that would allow more choices, i.e. MQA-enabled. I'm enjoying my D200 with an Antipodes DX and Magico S1 mkII speakers, but have always been enamored with the Constellation reviews and casework.

Ken

Search is your friend:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-prod...9#pid46359

I haven't auditioned the Argo myself but have heard at least 2 very positive reports about it. The new Inspiration integrated may be worth looking at too, although the casework won't be up to the standard of the Performance series (which I love).

You're never going to beat the Devialet platform from a measurements perspective but from a pure SQ perspective Constellation is very good indeed. I've certainly enjoyed listening to it in my own system, at home etc.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(09-Apr-2017, 08:43)Jean-Marie Wrote: My only question would be why would you want 36 dB more THD and 49 dB less SNR?

With 84dB SNR, why bother with 24 bits, you can't even get 16 bits!

Jean-Marie

You make an excellent argument, but I think there is probably more to sound quality than just measurements.
(09-Apr-2017, 11:46)GuillaumeB Wrote: Guillaume - Thanks for your reply and link to previous discussion. Your impressions of the Constellation gear seems to mirror those of reviews I've read. I wish I were able to demo the Argo in my system as you did with the Inspiration gear, but that's not possible, so the purchase would be a leap of faith. With the additional cost of a capable dac, and the now reduced resale value of my 200, I'd be looking at a net cost of about US$10k. Difficult to know if that's money well spent or just another waste of funds in search of the elusive nirvana.

(08-Apr-2017, 21:55)KenL Wrote: Anyone had an opportunity to compare Devialet to any Constellation gear? I can buy a Constellation Argo integrated at a good price and wondered if it made sense SQ-wise. I realize it would require purchasing a separate dac, but that would allow more choices, i.e. MQA-enabled. I'm enjoying my D200 with an Antipodes DX and Magico S1 mkII speakers, but have always been enamored with the Constellation reviews and casework.

Ken

Search is your friend:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-prod...9#pid46359

I haven't auditioned the Argo myself but have heard at least 2 very positive reports about it. The new Inspiration integrated may be worth looking at too, although the casework won't be up to the standard of the Performance series (which I love).

You're never going to beat the Devialet platform from a measurements perspective but from a pure SQ perspective Constellation is very good indeed. I've certainly enjoyed listening to it in my own system, at home etc.

Guillaume