Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I upgrade from Naim 272/250dr?
Guys I need some views...
I am about to change my Naim 272/250DR combo for a 220pro, hopefully to get a smoother sound. Speakers are PMC 25.24's, anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks.
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
Smoother I think no but over all much better sound, deeper and precise bass, wider soundstage, a lot of more details and never ending dynamic.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(09-Apr-2017, 19:27)Elztalbiker Wrote: Smoother I think no but over all much better sound, deeper and precise bass, wider soundstage, a lot of more details and never ending dynamic.

Well thats what I am missing with the Naim
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
I don't know the 25, but I don't think PMC speakers are particularly smooth - I say that as a fact 8 owner.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Agree with all the above. I had the PMC FB1 (three speaker upgrades ago). Smooth would be the last word to come to mind. Also, Devialet is one of the "least smooth" amps I've had, but very precise, detailed and dynamic. If you are looking for smoothness, Devialet is not your amp or PMC is not your speaker.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Hi jukemark,

I was a Naim owner, but admittedly at the lower end of the product line. However, I owned Naim for about 10 years before moving to a D120, which I upgraded to a D220 pro last fall. Before the D120 I was going to go up the Naim chain, but discovering the Devialet made that move unworkable.

I personally find the Devialet very smooth, but it is also revealing and detailed in a way that Naim may not be until you get to the 300 series of Naim separates. I do think that there is detail, tone and clarity in the Devialet bass that Naim struggles to match, except again for the much more expensive strata. I also think that the Pro series of Devialet has a transient quickness that really does give the pace that Naim has; I never missed the PRaT with the D120 and certainly not with the D220.

Another difference is that, to my ear, the Devialet reveals micro dynamics and tonal changes in a superb way; I never heard Naim do it as well. And for all the Naim forum discussion of 'emotional' presentation, I don't think Naim has anything on the chrome pizza box.

As I said, I had Naim and I loved it and bored all my friends with my enthusiasm about it. So I'm not dismissing the black boxes at all.

Regarding streaming, I use a Wyred4Sound Sonos Connect, which, while not perfect, is really very good. I had nothing but rage-inducing grief with UPnP on my Naim, so that alone would have motivated me to move. But be aware that not everyone here is getting the streaming performance they want.

Anyhow, there are quite a few ex-Naim owners here; PhilP is one who was particularly helpful to me in understanding the differences between the two systems. BTW, cables of all sorts seem to be very important on the Devialet, and could easily make the difference between 'smooth' sound and a less settled presentation.

Your Naim equipment and PMC's are of recent vintage and technology, so it would be interesting to read your thoughts about the comparison.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I moved from Naim 172/200, tried 272/250DR didn't feel it was a significant upgrade considering the cost. Moved to 220 pro never happier, much better sound hearing things my Naims could only dream of.
(28-Sep-2017, 16:55)kompressor Wrote: I moved from Naim 172/200, tried 272/250DR didn't feel it was a significant upgrade considering the cost. Moved to 220 pro never happier, much better sound hearing things my Naims could only dream of.

Yes, i had exactly the same as you, changed to a 220pro and never looked back. Quite apart from the great sound upgrade, the Dev is so much more flexible, and I haven't got a room full of boxes!
Enjoy!
jukemark,

Excellent report and good to hear from you again. Getting to the 'never looked back' point is the point I think we all hope to reach. Naim does make excellent equipment and the 272/259DR combo is very highly regarded, so I'm sure it was a high bar to clear. I've always had a feeling that having good sound shouldn't require stacks of boxes, or use every plug in the house. So the simplicity and compactness of the Devialet system is still something I appreciate. As well as the sound.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
272/XPS and 300 dr match the Dev 220 expert pro slightly.282/super cap and 300 dr match the 220 distinctly. But 440 beats this combo as well.