Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I upgrade from Naim 272/250dr?
To start, a little presentation of where I come from.

I was with a SuperNait2 / DACV1, change for a Devialet 120, sold my 120 due to too much streaming problem (crackling), came back with NAIM again, with a 272/250DR, was my dream kit to own at that time, and, sold my NAIM gear including the NAIM FRAIM rack to return with a Devialet 220Pro.

I've loved my 272/250, was my best pairing kit with my Dynaudio Focus 160. But, due to the fact that I've fell in love with Roon (and jumped to the lifetime subscription), and the fact that NAIM lack of Roon support for the 272, I was screwed, so I sold my NAIM gear and went with a D220Pro (and doing this without a single listen session...but I already know the sound signature of the D120). AirRoon support, flawless and marvellous.

First thing that strike me when I plugged the 220Pro was a better resolution compare to my 272/250, the bass grip control was insane, a greater deepness but with precision…I thought the 250DR had good grip on my Dynaudio driver, well, not at all… the 220Pro take my Dynaudio drivers (4ohms) and bring them to a different level of performance. A better soundstage, wider more precise/realistic. A light striking dynamic with a pitch-black background noise, a better definition/resolution compare to 272. I won’t call the sound signature of Devialet to be a "cold sound signature”, it is too negative, I prefer the word of chirurgical sound, precise, pin-point, and more in your face. I found the 220Pro more engaging. Yes, it lack of the warm lush side of brit sound signature (but warm/lush, mean, coloration?!?). You are in the music, not a spectator here. Like a previous poster said, with NAIM there’s something that we miss, I totally agree with him. Yes Devialet can be fatiguing on some bad recording, and this is due to his precision.

Overall for me a 272/250 it's an excellent kit, very musical, had a lot of fun with, a good PRaT, etc. but, if you thing that 250 is the end of grip, of bass control, there’s better stuff out there. NAP300? yes, ok, but do your maths before, and count the number of black box that will take in your audio rack to build your final set-up, 2 box just for the NAP300, maybe an external Power supply for the DAC/streamer or pre-amp, costly interconnect & AC chord, and, for all those box, you will need a good audio rack with x shelves. Nop, you loose me here, I'm done with all this, tired. IF I come back to NAIM, it will be for an all in one like the NOVA but with a lot more of juice than the actual NOVA. But, I'm pretty sure NAIM prefer and will continue their business base on the itching upgrade of multiple box business model. Only time will tell anyway, until that time, I'll enjoy my one size fit all gear, with enough juice to put a smile on the face of my Dynaudio, and on me.

MacMini > Roon  > D220pro > NAIM Naca5 > Dynaudio Special 40