Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For sale
Looks like many of devialet expert owners are selling at low prices

I wonder is it just the audiophile bug or is it that other brands offer better SQ for less $$$
or is it the lost of trust in devialet

Am I missing anything ?
Is there a rummer I missed ?
Is it the dealers who can't make any profit stirring to a deferent direction ?
Perhaps they don't want to upgrade and THINK they can get better sound from the funds gained by selling a unit and the $4k or so they didn't use for the upgrade.

This line of thinking is a bit dodgy BUT this is also High End audio and we all know that the rules of login don't apply to us. Smile

I haven't upgraded my D200 and won't until the issues concerning the Streamerboard are resolved and the early adopters give us a review. I have seen my fellow Devialet Chat members get burned too often. The sound is as great as ever and I enjoy it everyday.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I update too 220 Pro, i play cd and turntable,and i say the sound is great ,so i have absolut no plan,s too sell my Devialet for me it is the bedst.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Looking to the lists I'm following, I don't think there are more sellers now... and not more buyers.

The same Devialet (pro and non pro) are for sale for months.

I think that most expert buyers bought the kit wanting a single box solution, with good looks (WAF) in combination with the best sound for this price point.

I don't think there is an alternative.
(15-Apr-2017, 18:59)Xander Wrote: Looking to the lists I'm following, I don't think there are more sellers now... and not more buyers.

The same Devialet (pro and non pro) are for sale for months.

I think that most expert buyers bought the kit wanting a single box solution, with good looks (WAF) in combination with the best sound for this price point.

I don't think there is an alternative.

Especially the looks part. Frankly, (and sadly), most hifi kit is just plain ugly. Or if not ugly, just weird. Good styling should be easy in this day and age but I think a lot of old hifi guys like a beefy box with stuff sticking out of it.

I do think there's a lot more for sale though, and the prices are pretty low. Disappointing, but that's what happens when brands keep updating the line, while simultaneously banging on in the press about moving on from high-end hifi to global domination in the form of chips. Hardly inspiring for what the future might bring. And those damn firmware updates - what happened to them? There's literally nothing to get excited about other than buying a newly upgraded device.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I recall reading a thread on another forum regarding the number of Kef LS50's for sale. The logic being that because there were so many being offered second hand that there must be something wrong with them. One conclusion was that the number of second hand LS50's coming to the second hand market was related to the simple fact that they had sold new in very high numbers, relatively speaking.

I am not compiling accurate statistics, but for me I have not noticed much of an increase in second hand Devialets, there have always been a few around. I can also recall when I first bought a Devialet Expert, there were D-Premiers offered for sale then at what looked like low prices.

At this point in time I think the number of potential buyers is low because the upgrade scheme provided a short term impetus to act. So many potential buyers / upgraders have already acted and are hence out of the market, this makes a Devialet harder to sell currently. Also, some upgraders to the Pro bought new and part exchanged their 'old' Experts, this takes one new buyer out of the market and inserts a Expert onto the second hand market for one lucky buyer. To be honest, buying second hand hifi has always been a fine way to get a decent hifi for limited cash. Buying new, selling on quickly, constant 'box swapping' has always been an excellent way of loosing lots of money.

I also think that we are an emotional bunch, and it is very easy to confuse the constant disquiet with Devialet over communication, the streamer board, issues with AIR (mostly historical now) and so on, with dissatisfaction with the actual product.

I have managed to get much listening in with my Pro over the Easter break and I have to say that the system is sounding absolutely sensational. I have no thoughts whatsoever of selling my own Devialet.

Are there cheaper options appearing on the market with better sound quality? If there are I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing them. There are certainly different sounding products, but not better in terms of what I am looking for. Others may listen to what I consider different but not as good, and find it superior to their ears and tastes, but nothing new there I think.

Also, there seams to be a trend in some parts to experimenting with DSD upsampling at ever increasing bit rates. If this is something that you feel in important, then a Devialet which is at it's ADH heart a PCM machine will perhaps seam to you as a little stuck in the past, so maybe best to sell up and move on.

The key to all this is to buy carefully, and make sure that whatever you buy is something that you personally will be happy with for a good few years. That way you need not worry too much about the second hand market at any given point in time. It has to be said though that Devialet are doing their best to be annoying as a company, so in terms of this the emotional factor may get to some. It is just as well the products sound good in the meantime.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Apr-2017, 09:58)Confused Wrote: I have managed to get much listening in with my Pro over the Easter break and I have to say that the system is sounding absolutely sensational.  I have no thoughts whatsoever of selling my own Devialet.  

Ditto, I am even considering buying a second one... Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I suspect it's as Confused stated... people may be buying new Pros and selling their old Experts rather than taking the upgrade path.   In truth, the upgrades were not discounted but you can find new Pros at a reasonably discounted price.   That's the path I took and did come out a bit ahead rather than taking the upgrade path.   But for the price I'm seeing,  an old Expert can be had for a steal and thus likely a cheaper path to a Pro now by taking the upgrade path (assuming it's still available - haven't heard much of late).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I don't feel there are more Experts for sale but likely less potential buyers. Hence the sales hang round for longer having more and more price reductions to attempt to stimulate sales.

I'm pretty sure the pricing for the upgrade to PRO could well be effecting the resale value of the Expert too. Take my 440 PRO that cost £4500 to be upgraded, if I hadn't done that I would have been now selling my D400 for a mere £4500, which in my view is a steal for such an amazing device.
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
I still love the sound of my D1000pro but sold my OdA partly due to the fact that I lost faith in Devialet as a brand. Why:
- most horrible communication in the high end audio Markt
- a promises like a continuous software upgrade not being fulfilled
- devialet' a strategy seems to move away from high end to the OEM market
- did I mention that there communication really pxxxxxes me off?

With the fully integrated stuff (and `I keep it because of the WAF) compares to the digital camera market. nobody want's the two year old Modell.
I sold a lot auf HigEnd stuff used and after two years you tend to get around 65-70% of the original value. Just sold a 9 month old OdA for 50%.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos