Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biwire and correction questions
Hi all!  

I don't own Devialet Expert yet, but I am considering to purchase an used one, and I have some newbie-questions for you: Smile
- Can, for example 220Pro, be routed to a room correction unit digitally somehow (like looping between 220Pro's internal pre and power amp)?
   - other solutions to have room correction?
- About master-companion, like 440Pro: 
   - Can speaker cables be biwired so, that the master is connected to mid and high speaker's connectors, and companion is connected to woofer speaker's connectors?
      -- If yes, can room correction unit be inserted to companion unit only (=correcting low frequences only)?
- What expert model (least expensive, but adequate enough) you would recommend to try with Martin Logan Prodigy,Odyssey,or similar?

Thanks!
Hi Ray

You have many questions so I'll take them one at a time.

- Can, for example 220Pro, be routed to a room correction unit digitally somehow (like looping between 220Pro's internal pre and power amp)? - No, this cannot be done with a Devialet amp

- other solutions to have room correction? - Yes, there are many.  You could use an external room correction device (box), connect via S/PID or USB, same as with any amp.  You could also use a software based solution on a PC or MAC, and run this to the Devialet via WIFI or Ethernet connection using the AIR software.  A few searches on this forum will yield lots of information, it has been a hot topic over the years.

About master-companion, like 440Pro: 
   - Can speaker cables be biwired so, that the master is connected to mid and high speaker's connectors, and companion is connected to woofer speaker's connectors?
- Not exactly..... Firstly, I think you mean bi-amped, not bi-wired.  A Master / Companion Devialet combination acts as one stereo amplifier, effectively mono blocks, with the Master running one channel, and the Companion the other.  However, you can link two Devialet amplifiers as two stereo integrated amps, and run one for bass, one for mid /high.  You can even set crossover options via Devialet's configurator, so a few options here.  One point to note, in normal Master Companion configuration you get a hike in sound quality as well as power, so you do miss out a little if you use in a two stereo amp configuration

- What expert model (least expensive, but adequate enough) you would recommend to try with Martin Logan Prodigy,Odyssey,or similar? - I do not have much experience of Martin Logan speakers, but I do have a key comment here.  One thing that always impresses me about Devialet amps is the staggering range of speakers that people use with them with seemingly very good results, except that is with some Martin Logan models.  The issue appears to be with dips in the impedance curve with some ML models.  There is much information on this forum regarding this subject, you might want to do a search on 'Sanders' or 'Magtech'.  Basically, there have been cases of some folk finding Devialet amps not suiting ML speakers, and Sanders Magtech amps being the answer.  To be honest, I would recommend Devialet amps to anyone who desires an amplifier that provides an accurate, transparent, detailed and powerful sound, but maybe not if they are fans of ML speakers....   Maybe a Devialet amp will be OK with the Prodigy or Odyssey, but a note of caution is required....

Here is one link to get you started:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...ch#pid8328

Having said all that, I think that we might have some happy ML owners occasionally active on this forum, so stick around and maybe someone will provide some direct experience with ML's.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
After upgrading from 120 to 220 Pro I'm absolutely happy with my ML Montis. Especially high frequencies where impedance drops to below 1 Ohm sound abolutely natural now and pianos are stunning! Before sound was sometimes slightly digital and bass a bit reduced. So I can just recommend a combination with PRO.
220 PRO/CI, Martin Logan Montis, HMS Gran Finale MK II, FritzBox 7590, Audirvana via USB, Tidal Hifi, - South Germany
Thank You for your very helpful answers, Confused and devi63 Smile
Yes, now I see, that it is best to put the room correction unit in front of Devialet using S/PID.
Good to hear, that Montis work well with 220 Pro!
I think, I just have to try 220Pro, 250Pro or 440Pro with Prodigy's before buying one, if that's possible.

By the way, what do you think, if Devialet provides a room correction feature someday, does it mean,
that unit must be physically upgraded or just to update the firmware (=no costs)?
(26-Jun-2017, 06:48)RayMo Wrote: By the way, what do you think, if Devialet provides a room correction feature someday, does it mean,
that unit must be physically upgraded or just to update the firmware (=no costs)?

That's the million dollar question.  Big Grin Nobody knows. We're not even sure Devialet do.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.