Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Upgrade program ending
(19-Apr-2017, 13:55)Lincolnlad Wrote: I bought a new 250 last August - before the announced upgrade, pretty pissed by that.  I then got the chance to buy an ex display 250 companion a couple of months ago.  Having laid out serious money I thought I could wait a couple of years and then upgrade.  Now I get the email.  No way am I going to spend another £5000 so soon.  Seriously pissed again.  My only worry is that they will not continue to support the old series.

Not impressed Devialet.

I highly doubt the original experts will get anymore new firmware features or improvements. It's already been a year without a new feature in a firmware update.  That said as long as it's under warranty they will be supported.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Well, the D-premier got this update option too. So, it would be presumable the 200 will be able to join the next upgrade round, in about 4-5 years. By then this would be far more interesting to do for my now just a year old 200... Besides that, i don't have the financial possibilities for it right now. So even if i wanted to, it's not possible... :-(
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(20-Apr-2017, 11:04)Bartype Wrote: Well, the D-premier got this update option too. So, it would be presumable the 200 will be able to join the next upgrade round, in about 4-5 years. By then this would be far more interesting to do for my now just a year old 200...

Good point. You're often better skipping a generation anyway, then you get a bigger leap. Assuming of course there are further Expert models, and if not, you'll have definitely made the right choice!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Apr-2017, 14:46)Dr Tone Wrote:
(19-Apr-2017, 13:55)Lincolnlad Wrote: I bought a new 250 last August - before the announced upgrade, pretty pissed by that.  I then got the chance to buy an ex display 250 companion a couple of months ago.  Having laid out serious money I thought I could wait a couple of years and then upgrade.  Now I get the email.  No way am I going to spend another £5000 so soon.  Seriously pissed again.  My only worry is that they will not continue to support the old series.

Not impressed Devialet.

I highly doubt the original experts will get anymore new firmware features or improvements.  It's already been a year without a new feature in a firmware update.  That said as long as it's under warranty they will be supported.

The good thing is that every firmware update was crappier then the last one. At least to my ears.
I don't care if they never update the old experts again. I would prolly stick to 7.1.3 anyway.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(20-Apr-2017, 14:26)Cylob Wrote:
(19-Apr-2017, 14:46)Dr Tone Wrote:

Not impressed Devialet.

I highly doubt the original experts will get anymore new firmware features or improvements.  It's already been a year without a new feature in a firmware update.  That said as long as it's under warranty they will be supported.

The good thing is that every firmware update was crappier then the last one. At least to my ears.
I don't care if they never update the old experts again. I would prolly stick to 7.1.3 anyway.

Agree 100 %
I had an email from a dealer today: informing me that Devialet has asked them to approach me to get my Expert registered by them official.

I bought my dev with a dealer that does not exist anymore...

I was thinking, are they preparing a dealer install for the streamer board? And making sure that every Pro is registered with a dealer?
Hey Guys.

A long time since i have been active in here. Have sold my D400 and last my D200.

Now i am interested in going back to Devialet, but this upgrade program is i little weird from my perspective.

i am thinking on a D250 Pro to have the possibility to upgrade to D1000 later on.

But the D250's are really cheap used. Devialet say that they will close the possibility to upgrade by May.

BUT the D-premier has the same price to get upgraded to Pro as an D250. So my questions is...

Is this all a sales gimmick to get old buyers to upgrade? Will the upgrade window really close or will there probably be an upgrade possibility later on, when there is new hardware on the table? Because if the price from D- premier to PRO and from D250 to PRO is the same... Why then upgrade if you are satisfied with the sound and the overall features?

i made a new thread but could see here that there was a conversation about the same thing
Hi TDA.

I'm far from an expert on any of this stuff, but I think that it is probable, and reasonable, that the upgrade from 'plain' Expert to Pro series will end at some point. Some have commented and complained about the previous upgrade availability, where it was given a limited time window for upgrades, then extended. I didn't expect the Pro upgrade availability to be open forever, but as you note, Devialet seems to be saying that the upgrade opportunity is ending shortly.

I think that two D250's make an 'old' D800. You would need two D250 Pro's to make a D1000 Pro, so you are taking a chance on a D-Prem or an Expert D250 if you think you want a D1000 Pro.

As to the sound quality and the upgrade question, that is just something that each person decides on their own. If you are satisfied, or even prefer, the sound of the Expert series to the Pro series, then you are buying in at the right time. Buy cheap and listen happy.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
When I asked Devialet a while back (before I upgraded) I was told by their customer service that they planned to keep the pro upgrade open indefinitely, albeit without the streamerboard option which was due to end sooner than it did.

My hunch. They make it up as they go along (as usual), or at best simply have zero internal communication.

But then again the 'Pro squared' might be just round the corner and might be worth holding out for.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

ZSorry, are we anyicipating a newer rumorroed version pf "pro squured" pardon me if I confused everything here..