Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250 Pro internal limiter/clipping problem
I'm an original D-Prem owner and recently upgraded to the 250 Pro.

The 250 Pro sound quality is significantly superior to the D-Prem.  I'm amazed at the difference.  However, with the 250 Pro I'm unable to turn up the volume much beyond -10db before the dB symbol in the front display turns orange (as the internal soft compressor/limiter kicks in) accompanied by the front light turning red as clipping occurs.  There's a one second dropout before the music resumes, and will clip again unless I turn down the volume.  This doesn't occur for every track I listen to, but usually happens with more dynamic music near the peaks.

Resolution doesn't seem to matter, this happens with 16/44.1 up to 24/192 and DSD64.  I use Roon/AIR (3.0.4).  Roon server is on a Windows 7 PC and feeds the 250 Pro via Ethernet.  If I adjust headroom or apply volume levelling in Roon, at desired listening volumes the clipping/dropout problem will still occur.  Even if I drop in a CD and play the same track, I get the problem at the same location in the track, at very near the same comparative volume (usually around -10dB or lower).

I don't understand why this occurs in the 250 Pro since during the 6 years I owned the D-Prem I never experienced a single dropout/clip, ever, even at extremely high volumes way beyond my normal listening level.

After checking the 250 Pro information menu, Last Fault says "A 20008 Speaker Right Over Current".  I've checked the right speaker cables and contacts, all is in order.  Note that all of my audio gear is the same that I used when I had the D-Prem.  Speakers are Avalon Time (4 ohm, 89dB) with MIT Oracle MA cables.

I have a ticket into Devialet on this, but I'm not getting a quick reply.  I wanted to check if anyone else had a similar experience and if there's any way to resolve this before sending the amp in for inspection.

Thanks for any input, Peter.
Because the fault says "A 20008 Speaker Right Over Current" I would swap left and right and see if a "A 20008 Speaker Left Over Current" comes up. That would at least tell you there's a problem with your speakers / cables or not.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
You're absolutely right Pim! I switched the left/right cables at the 250 Pro and voila "A 10008 Speaker Left Over Current" fault.

My speaker cables are terminated with spades and my dealer provided me with a solution to convert the spades into bananas back when I purchased the D-Prem. After swapping these around, I've determined one of the converters is faulty and is causing the problem. No issues with the 250 Pro! Whew!

A simple suggestion, but great feedback, much appreciated.
Nice!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Even better...I didn't realize until now, but the 250 Pro binding posts can accommodate the spades, no need for the junction boxes anymore :-) I find what's truly outstanding is the ability of the 250 Pro to isolate the fault, may have saved my speakers, very nice.