Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep mode?
Several firmware updates were made recently.   Do phantoms go to sleep mode now?   How to verify this?
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
It doesn't seem they do in my case. After reading your post I've touched (backside) them to verify if they were slightly warm as usual  and they are.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(20-Apr-2017, 06:28)Jean-Claude Wrote: It doesn't seem they do in my case. After reading your post I've touched (backside) them to verify if they were slightly warm as usual  and they are.

You have to press the button on the rear for at least 6-8 sec until you hear a noise. Then you have switched them to sleep mode. To wake them up from sleep a short press of the same button is required. In sleep mode they are getting cold and the noise from inside stops.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(20-Apr-2017, 06:35)Taucher669 Wrote:
(20-Apr-2017, 06:28)Jean-Claude Wrote: It doesn't seem they do in my case. After reading your post I've touched (backside) them to verify if they were slightly warm as usual  and they are.

You have to press the button on the rear for at least 6-8 sec until you hear a noise. Then you have switched them to sleep mode. To wake them up from sleep a short press of the same button is required. In sleep mode they are getting cold and the noise from inside stops.

You are turning them off by pressing the button for 6-8 seconds and then turning on when you need to.  I was asking about auto-sleep on-off  mode.  I checked since my post and they stay warm and don't go to sleep mode overnight. This is probably shortening the life-span of phantoms and wasting energy as well.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(20-Apr-2017, 23:17)sekriT Wrote:
(20-Apr-2017, 06:35)Taucher669 Wrote:

You are turning them off by pressing the button for 6-8 seconds and then turning on when you need to.  I was asking about auto-sleep on-off  mode.  I checked since my post and they stay warm and don't go to sleep mode overnight. This is probably shortening the life-span of phantoms and wasting energy as well.
... they ever did that since I got my first Phatom end of 2015.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
Dear Devialet,

You put out great hardware but super crappy software that runs on them. It is not a too difficult to write a code to make phantoms go to sleep and wake up when the music is resumed. They are running 7/24 non-stop. Give phantoms a brake!

Respectfully.
I've never checked myself with something like a Kill-A-Watt, but it was said that the standby power usage is about 40W (https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1144). Wish it could be closer to 0W on principle, but mine has been stayed on for ages without any apparent ill effect.
If this is exact, it means a pair uses around 750Kw / year !
This is quite the same as what you use for your dish machine working 250 X a year as well as your washing machine...

Impressive !
The crazy part is they use about as much power on idle as they do when they play music!

Mine uses 44watt on idle/standby and 46watt when playing at volume 55.

Shocked Devialet did not implement some sleep mode yet.
During winter season I do not much care about the energy loss through heat of Phantoms as our heaters in the living room are electric. So the total energy balance is neutral. I also expect that in the future (with the shift from carbon to renewable energy) the ecosystem will shift to electric heating, electric cars.... During summer time we do not need heating, so indeed the Phantoms waste too much energy. Maybe the components in the Phantom and Dialog live longer when they are less exposed to strain/stress of temperature gradients being turned on/off several times a day. The elevated temperature reduces lifetime but overall the MTBF is longer at constant temperature. Longer life also results in less energy waste. However, I cannot quantify the above, maybe Devialet could.