Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Firmware 10.1.0
Business as usual for me - haven't noticed any changes, sound quality or otherwise.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I updated my Pros to 10.1.0 today. No changes in sound quality to these ears.

I assume that 10.1.0 still works on the old Experts as well as the Pros, correct? If so, my guess is that it'll be the last update the old Experts see short of possible other minor bug fixes. Time will tell.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(22-Apr-2017, 17:45)Bruno Wrote: I must be lured by some self persuasion factor, but this new firmware impresses me a lot.
Sam is off as usual. If I am the only one to hear a difference, please forward my post to some sci-fi thread.

NO, you're not lured.

Version 10.1.0 is definitely the biggest in firmware SQ improvement Devialet did until now. I don't know how they did it and if they're themselves even aware of the SQ improvement (I think they are not (see a deaf Smile here...can someone add one to the list please).

Wow...I didn't expect any improvement by firmware for my 'old' D200 anymore, but I have to say 'Chapeau Devialet'. They did it again. At least there have to be some guys within their programmers crew who know their job (even if the impact of SQ improvement happened by chance for them  Wink). I can only assume that minor bug fixes means that they cleaned out/shrinked down the code leading to less processing(time/work) for the cpu...don't know.

For me I'm hearing a reduction in jitter for seemingly 20-30%...it's that big for me. Precision baby...precision in every aspect has grown. I can hear the same music at +1.5 to +3.0 dB louder than before. Dynamics/control are much better.

Now it all depends on the weakest part of your audio chain to hear that much of a change I'd assume...but anyway if you have a high resolving system and/or being a tuning freak like me 10.1.0 is worth a try I'd say.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(24-Apr-2017, 10:19)yabaVR Wrote: ...
For me I'm hearing a reduction in jitter for seemingly 20-30%...it's that big for me.

I have to ask: how have you quantified the reduction in jitter, and what does that 20-30% actually refer to?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The SQ of my system has also increased, but I'm not sure why. I also have updated the firmware of course, but I also updated Windows to the new Creators Update and I also have used the new game mode for foobar. Also one of my Devialets was for repair and came back with fw 10.0.7 while my second unit was still on 10.0.5.
So I'm not exactly sure why it is sounding better, but I have the best SQ I ever had since some days...
(24-Apr-2017, 11:06)Vivialet Wrote: The SQ of my system has also increased, but I'm not sure why. I also have updated the firmware of course, but I also updated Windows to the new Creators Update and I also have used the new game mode for foobar. Also one of my Devialets was for repair and came back with fw 10.0.7 while my second unit was still on 10.0.5.
So I'm not exactly sure why it is sounding better, but I have the best SQ I ever had since some days...

I also notice a significant SQ improvement, I would be interested to get feedback from other Od'A owners.
F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
(24-Apr-2017, 11:00)thumb5 Wrote:
For me I'm hearing a reduction in jitter for seemingly 20-30%...it's that big for me.

I have to ask: how have you quantified the reduction in jitter, and what does that 20-30% actually refer to?

You got me wrong...I wrote seemingly, so I'm assuming here.
It feels like 20-30%. The % comes from the 1.5-3.0dB possible louder listening level w/o aching ears compared to before. The % here is something to give an amount of my perception.
In the end it's all subjective if one has no professional measurring tools. But as Devialet comes with no data or communication we all have to put it into words the best we can  Wink

gui
berlin
(24-Apr-2017, 11:06)Vivialet Wrote: ...

I really think they just stripped down code and the SQ improvement we're hearing came by pure chance...

...but isn't it funny that both, the 'old Ds' and the PROs, are benefiting from 10.1.0 firmware.

gui
berlin
(24-Apr-2017, 11:00)thumb5 Wrote:

...and what does that 20-30% actually refer to?

Well...I'll try...the % refers to the increase in precision and audibility so for example I can hear more of the recording technic and can distinguish it from the sounding that comes from e.g. my D200.

For someone else, that might sound like I'm highly guessing the origin of this SQ improvement, but depending on one's experience you can tell the problems of an audio system or what part of the system contributes sound in its special way very precisely even if you hear it the first time. It's like a practiced mechanic driving a customers car, hearing odd noises knowing what's wrong by experience. It might end up with a different diagnosis in the end but often it's a safe shot.

gui
berlin
Interesting... I'd been using 10.0.7 on my Pro and spent a good bit of time yesterday listening to 10.1.0 and really can't say I heard a difference. Are the improvements from firmware updates being heard primarily from older Expert owners who went from 10.0.5 or older to 10.1.0?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA