Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Firmware 10.1.0
I think it is from 10.0.5 to 10.1. As I said, I had the 10.0.7 on the repaired Devi after it returns from France and 10.0.7 has already the new i2s file and newer ihm file.
It seems with 10.0.7 they started to rework some basic code of the i2s layer which of course can impact the SQ.
(24-Apr-2017, 12:43)mdconnelly Wrote: Interesting... I'd been using 10.0.7 on my Pro and spent a good bit of time yesterday listening to 10.1.0 and really can't say I heard a difference.   Are the improvements from firmware updates being heard primarily from older Expert owners who went from 10.0.5 or older to 10.1.0?

Good point...migth be that the main difference is only from 10.0.5 to 10.1.0...but the more I listen to it the more dramatic it is...at least in my system. My first post was only minutes after my D played out of the cold may be 15min powered on.

Did you ever feel anxiety while listening to music loud? Listen to Trentemoeller 'The Trentemoeller Cronicles' 2CDs. That recordings are the best audiophile class in electronics/techno music I've heard so far. It's not the taste of everyone, but it's so precise/clean/dynamic (w/ low jitter) and I nearly felt anxiety as the dynamics are immense and 10.1.0 gives the ability to crank up another 3.0-4.0 dB before you hear something going out of control.

On the other hand I listened to Sarah Chang 'Debut' as she was a young girl. Her violine turned out to sound so much more colourful/transparent/enjoying serving her light and jauntily play...nice, very nice. It's hard to believe something emotional like this is the outcome of a profane line of improved code Huh  ...puzzles me. Devialet is magic  Cool .

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
yes, Trentemoeller belongs to my standard test program. Chronicles and also The last Resort. Loving them...
There is indeed new I2S firmware (0309) included in this version compared to 10.0.5 (0308). This gets pushed to HW versions 5 and 6 (Expert and Expert Pro) but not 4 (D-Premier). No other changes except for the IHM firmware which could be as little as a changed version number (so cosmetic) of course.

I will install later this week/next weekend.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Well, that was exciting! First time I had a go at doing a firmware update since my dealer did everything for me when he delivered it to my home. First stabs had me downloading the folder with the files and it didn't like that at all. Whatever it says about the function buttons on the controller is mainly confusing crap. Anyway, scraped around the various scattered information on the Devialet website and eventually got the files on to the SD card and uploaded to the 250 Pro, but various bits of jiggerypokery before it decided to do the firmware update.

Fantastic! Except my configuration was gone! More scrabbling around the website before I followed the slightly confusing instructions and got the configuration reloaded. Why can't the fekkers just download all this merde from the internet on to our equipment like other sensible HiFi companies?

Does the firmware make any difference? Well, if you read the update notes then it suggests bug fixes and no sound improvement and I would concur.
The IHM file is about 500 bytes bigger, so maybe a little bit more than only a different version number. But nothing big at least.
My Pro has the 10.0.6 firmware installed (from factory) and it also has the 'old' I2S 0308. So it seems Vivialet is right and they introduced it from 10.0.7 and upwards.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(24-Apr-2017, 16:47)Gerronwithit Wrote: Does the firmware make any difference? Well, if you read the update notes then it suggests bug fixes and no sound improvement and I would concur.

but a bug in the i2s processing is very likely related to SQ...most new firmwares are changing the SQ, and not always for the better. And in most cases Devialet does not mention SQ changes. Maybe because it was not intended to change.
Originally I though to skip this whole firmware since I hadn't noticed any bugs... It had worked perfectly. But today I installed this new FW version and I have to say that I am really, really impressed. I didn't do any AB testing and I have also done other small changes to my system today (like adding the Aqvox switch) but I honestly feel that my system has never sounded so vivid, alive and dynamic than today. Of course I might be just imagining all this, but for a reason or another the sound that I'm hearing today is just amazing!  Shy
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Devialet...DEVIALET?...please can you give your programmers some hours more and fix an other bunch of this 'minor bugs'...please? Even if you don't know what you are doing (and can't hear it)...it sounds sooo good Rolleyes .

10.1.0 is a big step to more realism in mapping and naturalness of instruments & voices...and wow there's music in the air (w/o AIR  Big Grin).
All this colours of sound...I didn't even know were there before...lets me dive into the music and forget everything around...pure bliss. Thanx .

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin