Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D440 vs D800
(27-Apr-2017, 02:12)apichetk Wrote: Thanks, everyone.  I have decided to get the 800.  Smile  My relatively new 200 will be up for grab soon.

What price did you get it for?

I'd love to own a D800 to mod it.Tongue but I think I just have to show patience...prices will drop even more if we're taking Devialet's customer relation into account which is Cool for all second hand customers who know of the sonical quality of the expert line.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(27-Apr-2017, 10:38)yabaVR Wrote:
(27-Apr-2017, 02:12)apichetk Wrote: Thanks, everyone.  I have decided to get the 800.  Smile  My relatively new 200 will be up for grab soon.

What price did you get it for?

I'd love to own a D800 to mod it.Tongue but I think I just have to show patience...prices will drop even more if we're taking Devialet's customer relation into account which is Cool for all second hand customers who know of the sonical quality of the expert line.

gui
Quite a good deal Wink
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
Below is the message I sent to one of the forum members about my first impression on the 800. I think it may be helpful for some members here so I share it below. So far, I'm happy with the upgrade from 200 to 800.

---
I can share my first impression of the 800 with you definitely. Please note that I didn't listen for long as it was quite late.

I first felt that the 800 was brighter and later found out that the previous owner set the treble at +1.5. After correcting that part, the treble was under control.

Soundstage: Wider and deeper than that of 200. The 800 seemed to be more at ease driving my harder-to-drive speakers (PMC Twenty5.26).

Sound quality: More transparent. Previously with the 200, I need to raise the volume to hear nuances in the music. Now, I don't need to do that. Bass is much better in terms of its definition, power, and control.

Vs 200: I can still feel that it's somewhat brighter (or more transparent?) than the 200. The latter [200] appears to be sweeter sounding with certain songs. I plan to spend more time listening to the 800 this weekend.

Re the Expert Pro: I've heard from my dealer that the Pro has changed the SQ of the mid and treble. He thinks the change is an improvement. I think the Pro likely has a different mid/treble presentation compared to the Expert series. Given the recent upgrade to the 800, I think I will skip the Pro generation and wait until Devialet launches a new series in the next few years down the road.
---
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(24-May-2017, 02:20)apichetk Wrote: Vs 200: I can still feel that it's somewhat brighter (or more transparent?) than the 200.  The latter [200] appears to be sweeter sounding with certain songs.  I plan to spend more time listening to the 800 this weekend.

This might be caused by different firmwares on both machines as well. Every newer firmware sounded a bit brighter to my ears.
If the 800 has a newer firmware you might wanna try some of the older firmwares. 7.1.3 and the early 8.x.x ones were always a bit smoother then the new ones.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(24-Apr-2017, 14:47)apichetk Wrote: I will have an opportunity to get a used D800 (4 years)...or I may upgrade to 440 from my current 200 (yes correct).  Have anyone had an opportunity to compare the D800 and D440?  

My next question is about the Expert reliability.  As the D800 has about one year of int'l warranty left, I wonder if I will end up burning myself down the road.  I would greatly appreciate your experience with how your Devialet has performed over time.  

Thanks very much all!   Blush

If your speaker isn't so hungrey, go for the 440 Pro. the Pro series is much better than non-Pro one.
definitely 440 PRO.

800 is a nearly 5 years old design.
(16-Aug-2017, 02:32)PeppaPig Wrote: definitely 440 PRO.

800 is a nearly 5 years old design.

uhmmmm the 800 is for my taste much better as the 440pro! no way.

5 years old design? sorry but not so old or better very little difference.
a 800 can you upgrade  but tooo in a "simply" 800 is a very good product. -> a 800 you can have for the half price from the 440pro: New not Demo or used!

with the rest of money you can do a lot of great stunning system.
440 > 800 or get 800 then upgrade to 1000PRO, if you don't upgrade, don't get 800.
(12-Sep-2017, 01:26)PeppaPig Wrote: 440 > 800 or get 800 then upgrade to 1000PRO, if you don't upgrade, don't get 800.

What's wrong with the 800 ?
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a happy owner of the D400 and D800 and I ve already heard twice pro 1000 with latest magico and BW Ls.
Of course the pro is different taste but the improvement wouldn't make me go for the upgrade.
Most of rare reviews of D800 (I don't believe the D800 is a best seller among expert lines) describe it as a small SQ gap with D400.
But with my Piega 80.2 the D800 makes wonders and is the Boss.
The D400 is more aerial but my Piega needs more energy to be driven.
I love them both in despite the Pros series is the new trend.
Every new firmware tends to put more treble but this is no issues for my Speakers.
If you put apart the prices everybody would own the latest ones.
For me the D800 is the real SQ gap for my LS.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France