Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Upgrade - Calif. State Import Use Tax Liability ?
I upgraded my D250 to 250PRO last December. I just got a letter from the State of Calif. that I own Use Tax for importing "electrical machinery" at the upgrade $ amount. Does anyone have the same experience? Any advise?
Devialet Pro 250 Core Infinity; Meridian: Control15 (2), MS600 and 218 (3), Sooloos Core on QNAP, Roon Core on Nucleus+ 4TB SSD
Technics SL1200GAE, Audio Technica AT33PTG; Focal Utopia Scala; Transparent Reference cables; PS Audio P5 Regenerator (2), MIT in-wall conditioner
(26-Apr-2017, 03:18)Saint0 Wrote: I upgraded my D250 to 250PRO last December. I just got a letter from the State of Calif. that I own Use Tax for importing "electrical machinery" at the upgrade $ amount. Does anyone have the same experience? Any advise?

I did get similar letter as well. I was charged closed to 10% in taxes by Devialet, so not sure why CA is trying to collect from me.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
my understanding, when you upgrade to pro, you are getting a new one. The amp is physically sent to France and they in turn send you a new one.This is what my dealer told me.
Customs will consider it as an imported equipment, does not mater new or old, gift or free. Customs will calculate the tax based on the actual price of new pro not just on your upgrade cost. Try buying any electronics on eBay, out of your own country. There will be import duty. In your case customs does not know it is an upgrade.
It is always good to do the upgrade through your dealer, you may have an issue if you are not the first owner.
I am also a proud owner of D-200 not doing the upgrade, in canada it cost around $4000 CAD. I would rather throw that money to an new amp. There are few amazing amps for considerably less price. Check it out at the Munich show.
Even though it is rated 200 watts, it lacks power to driver my speakers. Only option is to go mono block. For that price it's not worth the $$$.
(26-Apr-2017, 13:34)vishu Wrote: my understanding, when you upgrade to pro, you are getting a new one. The amp is physically sent to France and they in turn send you a new one.This is what my dealer told me.
Customs will consider it as an imported equipment, does not mater new or old, gift or free. Customs will calculate the tax based on the actual price of new pro not just on your upgrade cost. Try buying any electronics on eBay, out of your own country. There will be import duty. In your case customs does not know it is an upgrade.
It is always good to do the upgrade through your dealer, you may have an issue if you are not the first owner.
I am also a proud owner of D-200 not doing the upgrade, in canada it cost around $4000 CAD. I would rather throw that money to an new amp. There are few amazing amps for considerably less price. Check it out at the Munich show.
Even though it is rated 200 watts, it lacks power to driver my speakers. Only option is to go mono block. For that price it's not worth the $$$.

On topic, the upgrade is an upgrade; not a replacement. A new unit is not shipped back, so your dealer is mistaken. California Customs agent may be misunderstanding the process, or there may be a problem with custom forms regarding the export and re-import of the amp. Here in Canada, as you may not know, not having done the upgrade, some specific forms are required regarding duties and taxes. I and many others had no problem with extra taxes on the upgrade. It is also true that Devialet's process included taxes and duties so the OP may have some success contacting them. That said, Customs agents are rarely persuadable, even if they are wrong.

Buying a product on Ebay is not the same situation, so taxes in that situation, if levied, are not relevant to the upgrade.

SaintO: can you contact Customs and see if there was some form or paperwork that they were looking for? Or possibly UPS? It is possible that certain forms were needed at the time of export. They did the applicable forms and customs brokerage for me and for other Canadian customers. I also don't recall reading that any other US owners paid additional duty (sam 1000 aside) but perhaps one of them can offer some advice. I hope that Devialet could also provide some help, but they may not have much more leverage than you.

Off-topic, there are many amazing amps at all sorts of prices. Yes, there are many options, including mono-blocks. Also different speakers.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Sad  I was the only one who paid taxes on top of upgrade price? I thought the upgrade page was calculating taxes based on your address, so there was no way to avoid that.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I told US Customs that the unit is not a new "Imported item". It was purchased long time ago from a retail store, which I've already paid sales tax. It had to ship back to the factory in France to have some components replaced, or "repaired". I submitted my original purchase invoice and the Devialet upgrade "Return"  invoice a month ago, haven't heard back from them.
Devialet Pro 250 Core Infinity; Meridian: Control15 (2), MS600 and 218 (3), Sooloos Core on QNAP, Roon Core on Nucleus+ 4TB SSD
Technics SL1200GAE, Audio Technica AT33PTG; Focal Utopia Scala; Transparent Reference cables; PS Audio P5 Regenerator (2), MIT in-wall conditioner
Good luck, I hope that works for you. Please keep us informed.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

FWIW, I am in the US and paid TAX on my upgrade order as part of the ordering process for the upgrade.

I did at time of order inquire with Devialet support on the tax issue, they stated:

"Customers will pay VAT on the website and then Devialet pays the D&T while crossing the borders."
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US