Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice sought: Phantom's worth it?
I realize I'm asking the converted... however, reading this forum leaves me quite concerned.

I have been thinking about purchasing a pair of Phantom's (probably Silver) for over a year. I am now at the point where I need to make a decision. 

About a year ago, I visited a reseller and listened to the Phantom at a showroom. They sounded great except that I heard little clicks when playing from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I thought at the time that I should wait until purchasing until the bugs were ironed out.

Now, reading the forums it doesn't really sound like the bugs are ironed out. And given all the time I've been waiting, I really wonder if they ever really will be.

So - it would be really great to have a current summary - how many people have niggly issues with the sound, clicks, whines, etc. How much do the bugs really get in the way of enjoying the Phantoms. After 5-6k I fear it will be hard to just ignore a bunch of bugs.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
got a pair of golds and i love them. But i need to say, that i don´t use bluetooth. Especially if you are on an iPhone, bluetooth should not be your first choice. The Phantoms support Bluetooth aptX, but the iPhone doesnt. So the quality is really bad.

Instead of this you should use Airplay or the Devialet App.
Otherwise i can also recommend Spotify Connect. The implementation works flawless, quality is great (not lossless) and you can use also the Volume Buttons on your iphone to control the Phantom Volume. Even if the app is closed and your phone is in your pocket.
I use this most of the time. Also from my Macbook.

I am using my phantoms also for TV/Movies and they sound really awesome. Never had such a clear bass im my homecinema before.
Con: The Phantoms have a delay about 150ms. So you need the adjust the delay by your cablebox or mediacenter.
Cant wait to have this in a 5.1 setup
(27-Apr-2017, 20:38)da2001 Wrote: got a pair of golds and i love them. But i need to say, that i don´t use bluetooth. Especially if you are on an iPhone, bluetooth should not be your first choice. The Phantoms support Bluetooth aptX, but the iPhone doesnt. So the quality is really bad.

Instead of this you should use Airplay or the Devialet App.
Otherwise i can also recommend Spotify Connect. The implementation works flawless, quality is great (not lossless) and you can use also the Volume Buttons on your iphone to control the Phantom Volume. Even if the app is closed and your phone is in your pocket.
I use this most of the time. Also from my Macbook.

I am using my phantoms also for TV/Movies and they sound really awesome. Never had such a clear bass im my homecinema before.
Con: The Phantoms have a delay about 150ms. So you need the adjust the delay by your cablebox or mediacenter.

Totally agree on using Airplay and/or Spotify Connect! Also Gold is significantly better than Silver at high/mid range, if that's what you care about  Big Grin
Living Room: Phantom Gold
Bedroom: Dynaudio Contour 20 (white oak), Sonos Amp
When I got the Silver Phantoms almost 2 years ago the options were more limited. The Phantoms are still different and groundbreaking, but there are other choices. First, if you can, wait till around Christmas, do it. Last year Devialet get a free Dialog and Apple TV. The year before it was an optical turntable. In terms of options, the KEF LS50W is worth a look. Also, there are more one box solutions that can be paired up with speakers. Had it been available, I would also consider the Simaudio ACE + any speakers. For me Simaudio has a sound I really like. I like the Phantoms and use them everyday, but don't like Spark. You can bypass Spark, but the dropouts from the optical make using other sources also not perfect either. Also, the change in provider for Internet radio made that function useless.
(27-Apr-2017, 20:38)da2001 Wrote: I am using my phantoms also for TV/Movies and they sound really awesome. Never had such a clear bass im my homecinema before.

Is delay present with optical connection too or in wifi only?
Thank you
Always. Sad
doesn´t matter if wifi, cable or PLC
Worth it. After going through 12 speakers and good amps/dacs. Well worth it.

BUT for me, only if Gold. I had Silvers and were not satisfied and Golds are much better for me - resolution, transients, speed. It is a huge improvement and yes, I have both pairs side by side in identical setups.
Please note that they can not be repaired in case of defect or damage. Outside the warranty, this requires a new purchase.
I was a convert until this last Spark app update, and then it lost all functionality. I am unable to use Airplay either. The whole system is at the mercy of the software, and Devialet software developers seem to be either incompetent or blasé about quality. Bluetooth is weak sauce, but right now it's literally the only way I can get music. I love the speaker tech and the sound, but I caution you against buying into the ecosystem. The Spark app SUCKS and you are also at the mercy of your own wi-fi stability. If there are any hiccups, you're streaming on the worlds most expensive bluetooth speakers with all the pops and crackling you could ever hope for.
Spark on Android works flawlessly and the latest update was a big step forward in my opinion.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage