Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guarneri Tradition and Devialet
(29-Apr-2017, 21:40)iamwappie Wrote: I have the Olympica II and quiet a large room and the bass is more than enough so I can image the III could be bass heavy. Have you tried to switch them as the bass port is radiating only to one side and not the back? This makes a huge difference.

I have quiet a hard room with wooden floor. Two weeks ago I started experimenting with acoustic treatment and am really amazed by the effect and that we do sometimes not justify our expensive systems. My simple try-out was to put my large (full height of the Olympica II) couch pillows on the wall right near the Olympicas. Result was a very controlled bass and much more detail as apparently reflections were causing obfuscations of details. My next step is buying acoustic treatment which is living room friendly but I can never go back without it now I have heard what the difference it makes. You can give it a try.... the speaker may not be the problem but the acoustic laws are. Either change speaker position or do some treatment I'd suggest

Maybe you´re right, but it´s very strange, because my room is acoustically treated with huge tube traps in the corners, absorbers in the ceilling, etc, etc, and after that investment the sq improves a lot and never before i had this result even with largers and difficult speakers, like Extrema, Martin Logan, Wilson and so on. I though that was definitly done interms of room accoustics.

The local dealer dives me the chance to try the O. II and the news Guarneri Tradition, those maybe more like my kind of sound, we´ll see.
I´m affraid i´ll have the same problem with the O.II but more subtle.
Thanks for share your search with me, Iamwappie.
(29-Apr-2017, 20:00)libero Wrote:
(28-Apr-2017, 11:49)BoyScout Wrote:
(27-Apr-2017, 21:04)moreno1973 Wrote: How big is Your room? OIII is known because of its heavy bass. You Need at least two Devialet's to control it. SF are really hard to drive properly. So, try 440 with it and try to use it with Sam Off and On. You need at least 1 metre free space around each loudspeaker.

Is a 40sm room, more or less. And i "walked" with the speakers around without positive results.
There´s a lot of people very happy with this duet, 220PRO/SF O lll, according the dealer and other fellows here in Devialetchat.
I´m not sure that´s a sub amp problem.
I guess Your room is overdumped.
Something else, libero.
Because i had bigger speakers around, already, without this kind of resonance.
They´re incompatible each other, the room and the speakers, i guess.
(01-May-2017, 15:37)BoyScout Wrote:
(29-Apr-2017, 21:40)iamwappie Wrote: I have the Olympica II and quiet a large room and the bass is more than enough so I can image the III could be bass heavy. Have you tried to switch them as the bass port is radiating only to one side and not the back? This makes a huge difference.

I have quiet a hard room with wooden floor. Two weeks ago I started experimenting with acoustic treatment and am really amazed by the effect and that we do sometimes not justify our expensive systems. My simple try-out was to put my large (full height of the Olympica II) couch pillows on the wall right near the Olympicas. Result was a very controlled bass and much more detail as apparently reflections were causing obfuscations of details. My next step is buying acoustic treatment which is living room friendly but I can never go back without it now I have heard what the difference it makes. You can give it a try.... the speaker may not be the problem but the acoustic laws are. Either change speaker position or do some treatment I'd suggest

Maybe you´re right, but it´s very strange, because my room is acoustically treated with huge tube traps in the corners, absorbers in the ceilling, etc, etc, and after that investment the sq improves a lot and never before i had this result even with largers and difficult speakers, like Extrema, Martin Logan, Wilson and so on. I though that was definitly done interms of room accoustics.

The local dealer dives me the chance to try the O. II and the news Guarneri Tradition, those maybe more like my kind of sound, we´ll see.

Than indeed you seem to have done already everything possible. I'm curious how the O II will sound. My dealer told me they are better balanced than de III. My room is about the same size than yours and the III would be too much indeed.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(01-May-2017, 15:37)BoyScout Wrote:

Hi BoyScout,
O.III is excellent speaker with quite neutral tonal balance from top to bottom. I had a opportunity to listen them in few rooms, 25 and 30m2.  Electronics were D120, D200, AR VSi75, AR DS Pre and Ref75. Balance was more neutral than an older SF speakers like Amati Aniversario (too much bass, needed a distance 1.5m from the back wall in 30m2 room). 

D200 can drive O. III without a problem. At an event, O.III playing with D200 in some 50m2 room, dynamic and bass slam was astonishing.
Melco N1A, Valhalla Pow.C.-FTA usb,-D200,Chord Sarum Super Aray Pow.C.-Chord Sarum T Speaker C.(Nordost Frey2)-Harbeth 40.2, (Magnepan 3.7).
Yeah, Libero, i´m affraid you´re right.
There´s a lot of people happy with this joint Dev./O. lll, the problem could be my room.
It´s a sad situation but i´m dealing with it. Modify again the room treatment is out of question, it takes time, a lot of money and you never know when enough is enough.
I´ll try today the Guarneri Tradition and, if doesn´t works, the downgrade to O. ll could be the last solution.
(03-May-2017, 11:49)BoyScout Wrote: Yeah, Libero, i´m affraid you´re right.
There´s a lot of people happy with this joint Dev./O. lll, the problem could be my room.
It´s a sad situation but i´m dealing with it. Modify again the room treatment is out of question, it takes time, a lot of money and you never know when enough is enough.
I´ll try today the Guarneri Tradition and, if doesn´t works, the downgrade to O. ll could be the last solution.
Hi BoyScout,
Try putting the speakers at Odd Divisions of the room.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/fine-...RLk6wTj.97
Melco N1A, Valhalla Pow.C.-FTA usb,-D200,Chord Sarum Super Aray Pow.C.-Chord Sarum T Speaker C.(Nordost Frey2)-Harbeth 40.2, (Magnepan 3.7).
I have been trying those brand new Sonus Faber, the "litles" Guarneri Tradition, and that´s a new story in all the ways.
You can´t compare the sound size neither the quality. The room isn´t acoustically perfect but looks like with the right speakers.
I see they are having some fun in Oxford. D1600 with Sonus Faber Amati Traditions anyone? Oh, with a dCS Vivaldi front end too. Sorry for going a little off topic, but it's a nice picture per the link if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/OxfordAudio/status/8...8050838529
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-May-2017, 13:49)Confused Wrote: I see they are having some fun in Oxford.  D1600 with Sonus Faber Amati Traditions anyone?  Oh, with a dCS Vivaldi front end too.  Sorry for going a little off topic, but it's a nice picture per the link if nothing else.

I had an audition with the Amati Tradition in the dealer place. Great gear, great sound, great bill. But, believe me, you have a good part, a huge part of the same, for a small fraction of the price with the monitors Guarneri. And i´ve them here at home. Unfortunately with no SAM yet and i´m affraid we need to wait a wile to have them SAM ready.
(09-May-2017, 14:23)BoyScout Wrote:
(09-May-2017, 13:49)Confused Wrote: I see they are having some fun in Oxford.  D1600 with Sonus Faber Amati Traditions anyone?  Oh, with a dCS Vivaldi front end too.  Sorry for going a little off topic, but it's a nice picture per the link if nothing else.

I had an audition with the Amati Tradition in the dealer place. Great gear, great sound, great bill. But, believe me, you have a good part, a huge part of the same, for a small fraction of the price with the monitors Guarneri. And i´ve them here at home. Unfortunately with no SAM yet and i´m affraid we need to wait a wile to have them SAM ready.
There is no need to desire SAM. My Harbeth sound much better without SAM.