Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Premier that won't read SD Card to load firmware
Subject says it all... 

I am setting up an Expert D-Premier. I was trying to update the config and the process didn't seem to work. I then decided to try updating the firmware and that didn't work either. I can't tell what firmware is on the thing because the "tone button trick" doesn't work (it's actually labeled as a phase invert button but it's the same thing apparently).

I've tried a bunch of things:

- I'm focusing on trying to upgrade the firmware instead of a configuration file figuring that may help some of the odd things I'm seeing. 
- I don't know what firmware was on the machine when I started trying to get it updated. 
- Whatever firmware is on there doesn't work the way it says it should in this article: https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/203402261-How-to-access-the-Information-Menu 
Holding the Phase Inv button doesn't do anything. I just goes back to the normal screen so I can't tell what firmware is running. Is this super old or something? Was there a different process earlier? 
- I tried formatting the SD Card with the official formatter utility from sdcard.org and putting the new 10.1.0 firmware on the card and it doesn't even appear to try to read the card. I never see the screen shown in the manual. 
- I am using a regular 2GB SD card (non-SDHC) as mentioned in https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/203427181-What-can-I-do-if-the-upgrade-process-doesn-t-automatically-start-

My question to all of you is: was the process for loading firmware way back when this product was released different? Is there a different trick to load an info screen? What's the oldest manual you have seen?

Thanks for any pointers at all!
I put the firmware on the SD card, load the card into the amp then plug it in. As soon as it powers up it updates the firmware, though I am not sure that a D-Premier can load v10 firmware, probably not since v10 doesn't have HDMI input included afaik.
Try the much vaunted v7.1.3 first and have the amp unplugged from the mains altogether then there is no need to press any button.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

P.S. - you can find copies of previous Expert firmware versions here:
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3382
(29-Apr-2017, 19:38)f1eng Wrote: I put the firmware on the SD card, load the card into the amp then plug it in. As soon as it powers up it updates the firmware, though I am not sure that a D-Premier can load v10 firmware, probably not since v10 doesn't have HDMI input included afaik.
Try the much vaunted v7.1.3 first and have the amp unplugged from the mains altogether then there is no need to press any button.

yeah... done that about 10 times now with different firmwares, after formatting the SD card, etc... no go. Perhaps I'll try the 7.1.3 version. I think the oldest I tried was a 9.x version.

Since it doesn't behave the way the documentation states it should (holding the phase button doesn't show an info screen... just times out after 2 seconds and goes back to the normal screen) it makes me wonder if the firmware on this is super old. Perhaps it can't be flashed the normal way.

I opened a support request with them... we'll see what they say too.
Did you extract the files from the zip archive and copy them to the SD Card ? All files must be in the root of the SD Card, don't copy the whole folder.
Hello Poswald,
so or similar should the files on the SD card look like! So without directory directly to the SD card!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Yeah, thanks for the help everyone. I'm copying them over unzipped and making sure there aren't any other files on the card. I'm a programmer by trade so I'm pretty careful about things like filesystem formats, hidden dot files, etc... but (as a programmer) I'm totally aware it's possible I'm doing something wrong. :-)

following this process:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-Devialet
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...ally-start-

but the fact that I can't check my firmware status is the reason I'm a bit suspicious about the existing firmware. Is there any indication that it is even trying to look for a firmware file? Going to try that older firmware tonight, but other than that I'm a bit stuck I think.
Make sure the unit is either unplugged from the mains (as f1eng mentions) before you put the SD card in and power up, or if it's like Experts (which it probably is) you can press the front power button for about 5 seconds or so and it should start the update.

Another possibility is if the SD card reader isn't working... This isn't totally unheard of unfortunately.
(01-May-2017, 09:42)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Another possibility is if the SD card reader isn't working... This isn't totally unheard of unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that is whats going on. If it weren't for the fact that whatever firmware is on this thing now doesn't behave as advertised I'd be 100% convinced that's what's going on.

The 7.x firmware didn't work either. :-(  Unless the support team can give me some other hint I'm going to have to give up. Unfortunately, I think perhaps shipping it back to a dealer to get fixed is going to be prohibitively expensive. We'll see.
Have you tried taking the SD card out, pulling the power cord out and then plugging the power cord back in (without the SD card inserted) to get it to boot factory default? (I assume that works for the DPremier as well).

It should say Factory Default or similar.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA