Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iFi SPDIF iPurifier
Has anyone tried one of these in an Expert?

It reads like a no-brainer for anyone using Chromecast.

I wonder if the prodigaled streamer board will include similar functionality?
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I'm using for my Sonos ZP80 to my KEF LS50W. I'm listening to Deezer Elite most of the time and sounded with more details, bass is tighter and firmer, a lot of improvement on the mids making acoustics music very enjoyable. It needs at least 100-150 hours of burn in, tough, for its real potentials.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(01-May-2017, 02:18)hk6230 Wrote: I'm using for my Sonos ZP80 to my KEF LS50W. I'm listening to Deezer Elite most of the time and sounded with more details, bass is tighter and firmer, a lot of improvement on the mids making acoustics music very enjoyable. It needs at least 100-150 hours of burn in, tough, for its real potentials.

@hk6230, do you connect the iSPDIF on Sonos' end or LS50 end?
It's a low budget S/PDIF "re-clocker". See the Mutec MC-3+ USB for a higher quality example.

I'm hoping Devialet doesn't use S/PDIF internally anywhere between its streamer/OS board and it's internal DAC. There's other protocols/standards more more suited and less flawed to that purpose (like I2S). Of course Devialet should take great care in using high quality clocks, power, power/ground domain isolation, impedance matching, low noise electrical/PCB design etc. etc. so we wouldn't "need" this type of external bandaids anymore. Considering the extremely limited space they have inside the Expert I'm not counting on it to become state of the art.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-May-2017, 02:18)hk6230 Wrote: I'm using for my Sonos ZP80 to my KEF LS50W. I'm listening to Deezer Elite most of the time and sounded with more details, bass is tighter and firmer, a lot of improvement on the mids making acoustics music very enjoyable. It needs at least 100-150 hours of burn in, tough, for its real potentials.

@hk6230, do you connect the iSPDIF on Sonos' end or LS50 end?
[/quote]
Connected to LS50W

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I added the SPDIF iPurifier between Chromecast and Devialet last night. It's a solid improvement. Bass kicks a bit cleaner. There is some clarity around instruments. Need to listen a lot more to get a better feel – especially if it requires a lot of burn in.

The only minor frustration is the set-up. My 220 Pro is wall mounted, with a cable conduit neatly and directly underneath. The iFi is too long to plug directly into Coax, it sticks out a little from the cable shield and would place some tension on the Coax input to reach the cable conduit.

As a result, I am using the Optical connection, and there is 1m of cable between the iFi and Devialet. I could potentially swap it around so there is less cable between the iFi and Devialet, but that would require sticking the iFi to the wall underneath the cable shield somehow.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden