Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mutec news.
More pictures of the Ref 10 including it's internals here: http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201705/20/18724.html

And on Mutec's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mutecpro/

No SMPS inside, just needs a AC cable, great! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I have a slightly different take on the 'too complicated many ugly boxes' vs 'all in a pretty single box' debate. Essentially I agree with Antoine, in that I would quite happily have a few ugly boxes if the performance to price ratio is good. If I could get 90% of the performance of the dCS Vivaldi Upsmpler and clock for a quarter of the price with HQPlayer and five ugly boxes, that would suit me fine. It is perhaps worth mentioning that the dCS Vivaldi is two boxes if you have the clock. I think the best 'one box' solution I have heard with a Devialet is the Aurender W20, and even that can be improved with an external clock. Although I also think the Aurender N10 is superb, and that really is just one box. Of course, the Aurenders are no good if you want Roon or similar.

My different take though is that if your aim is to find the 'best bang for your buck' and the ultimate from end for a Devialet, the most compelling 'multi box' solutions for a Devialet seam to entail converting Ethernet to USB, then USB to AES/EBU. This takes us to the dCS Network Bridge, which skips bothering with USB and goes straight from Ethernet to Devialet's preferred AES/EBU input. Perfect! Well, almost perfect. The multi box solutions with USB also allow use with HQPlayer and kit like the Ref 10, neither of which will work with the dCS. Now, I am happy with lots of ugly boxes, and currently suspect that something like the sMS-200Ultra with clock input, MutecMC3+USB, Ref 10 feeding both, plus some decent LPSU's providing power, might be the perfect solution for me. It's just that some kind of ugly box that would do the same but skip the USB step might be even better, it just doesn't exist at the moment. Also, noting that the Ref 10 has a decent LPSU, which makes me think that Mutec could make a better MC3+USB, with a similar LSPU inside and other optimisation. You could give up here and say 'when will it ever end', but perhaps this is where the ugly box approach has some benefits, if for example a Mutec MC3Ultra or something emerges, you can add this at reasonable cost and use it with your existing Ref 10. A much easier way to upgrade that selling your previously very expensive Aurender W20 or dCS Vivaldi to fund the next new model.

I am quite sure that in the fullness of time there will be a pretty one box solution that does do all this, with perfect simplicity, it just depends how long you want to wait. And even then there will probably be something even better and cheaper, but in lots of ugly boxes.

I think we should all be happy that there is so much choice and good stuff coming out currently, it's just a case of working out which solution suits you best.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I have to agree with all these solutions to improve sound quality feeding devialet , and this including microrendu, sms200 ultra, melco, aurender then mutec etc etc....
But,no one in this forum( wich i appreciate the honesty);after comparing all these with AR 3.0.4 ; gave a clear winner when compared to the last.
The differences as far as i know are subtiles and system dependants some time.
AIR 3.0.4 is working cristal clear in my system and , for me , it is till today the best bang for the buck.( enhanced with hqplayer).
I m tempted by multiple products but please direct me!
Am i missing something?
Thks

Macbook pro -roon-tidal-Devialet200 frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina
(21-May-2017, 14:06)samsoum Wrote: I have to agree with all these solutions to improve sound quality feeding devialet , and this including microrendu, sms200 ultra, melco, aurender then mutec etc etc....
But,no one  in this forum( wich i appreciate the honesty);after comparing all these with AR 3.0.4 ; gave a clear winner when compared to the last.
AIR 3.0.4 is working cristal clear in my system and , for me , it is till today the best bang for the buck.( enhanced with hqplayer).
Am i missing something?
Thks

Macbook pro -roon-tidal-Devialet200 frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990

I agree that Roon+HQPlayer+AIR sounds very good indeed. By the way, have you noticed any problems with AIR & HQPlayer on your Mac or has it been working perfectly well?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(21-May-2017, 16:08)petrik Wrote:
(21-May-2017, 14:06)samsoum Wrote: I have to agree with all these solutions to improve sound quality feeding devialet , and this including microrendu, sms200 ultra, melco, aurender then mutec etc etc....
But,no one  in this forum( wich i appreciate the honesty);after comparing all these with AR 3.0.4 ; gave a clear winner when compared to the last.
Am i missing something?
Thks

I agree that Roon+HQPlayer+AIR sounds very good indeed. By the way, have you noticed any problems with AIR & HQPlayer on your Mac or has it been working perfectly well?

Hi petrik,
Actually yes.In fact after launching hq, it plays around 15 to 20 mn only,rather than 30mn for the trial version, then crashes and quit.
It s been like this for all the period of the trial.
I ve sent an email to the support since 2 weeks , no reply.
I would like to go ahead and buy it but i m afraid this problem continue.

Sorry guys to sound like the school teacher but this thread isn't about AIR and it's everlasting issues. I believe there's around 739 threads, including other hi-jacked threads, about how much it sucks already.

@Confused, great post! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(21-May-2017, 13:44)Confused Wrote: I have a slightly different take on the 'too complicated many ugly boxes' vs 'all in a pretty single box' debate.  Essentially I agree with Antoine, in that I would quite happily have a few ugly boxes if the performance to price ratio is good.  If I could get 90% of the performance of the dCS Vivaldi Upsmpler and clock for a quarter of the price with HQPlayer and five ugly boxes, that would suit me fine.  It is perhaps worth mentioning that the dCS Vivaldi is two boxes if you have the clock.  I think the best 'one box' solution I have heard with a Devialet is the Aurender W20, and even that can be improved with an external clock.  Although I also think the Aurender N10 is superb, and that really is just one box.  Of course, the Aurenders are no good if you want Roon or similar.

My different take though is that if your aim is to find the 'best bang for your buck' and the ultimate from end for a Devialet, the most compelling 'multi box' solutions for a Devialet seam to entail converting Ethernet to USB, then USB to AES/EBU.  This takes us to the dCS Network Bridge, which skips bothering with USB and goes straight from Ethernet to Devialet's preferred AES/EBU input.  Perfect!  Well, almost perfect.  The multi box solutions with USB also allow use with HQPlayer and kit like the Ref 10, neither of which will work with the dCS.  Now, I am happy with lots of ugly boxes, and currently suspect that something like the sMS-200Ultra with clock input, MutecMC3+USB, Ref 10 feeding both, plus some decent LPSU's providing power, might be the perfect solution for me.  It's just that some kind of ugly box that would do the same but skip the USB step might be even better, it just doesn't exist at the moment.  Also, noting that the Ref 10 has a decent LPSU, which makes me think that Mutec could make a better MC3+USB, with a similar LSPU inside and other optimisation.  You could give up here and say 'when will it ever end', but perhaps this is where the ugly box approach has some benefits, if for example a Mutec MC3Ultra or something emerges, you can add this at reasonable cost and use it with your existing Ref 10.  A much easier way to upgrade that selling your previously very expensive Aurender W20 or dCS Vivaldi to fund the next new model.

I am quite sure that in the fullness of time there will be a pretty one box solution that does do all this, with perfect simplicity, it just depends how long you want to wait.  And even then there will probably be something even better and cheaper, but in lots of ugly boxes.

I think we should all be happy that there is so much choice and good stuff coming out currently, it's just a case of working out which solution suits you best.

Good post Confused. I do hope that we will get that pretty one box solution some day. 

My apologies for raising up Devialet AIR questions on this thread.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
", and currently suspect that something like the sMS-200Ultra with clock input"

The SMS-200ultra has no clock input.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
The master clock input is available as an option on all Ultra devices or better said on the SCLK-EX clock board and all devices that contain it.

SOtM is also working on their own 10MHz master clock BTW but no details are known ATM.

The Netherlands