Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specs for a Computer
I am soon to retire and looking to get my own computer and want to make sure I get the specs which will maximize music streaming.  Unfortunately in the near future my internet will not get any better than 4.5Mbps so not sure some of the best specs will do me any good.  most of my listening is via Tidal with about 40% via the best I can download 24-192.

8GB of RAM versus 12?  
802.11ac Wifi alternatives?
256GB of storage
Solid State Drive?
Window's 10??
anything else I should be looking at?

is Roon an improvement in sound over JRiver from a sq standpoint.  (not happy that JRiver hijacks my pictures)

I appreciate your help I am not much on the technical side of this passion and no kids to figure it out.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
Well, as you are a bit of a novice, no point in making it any more difficult than it needs be. My current setup is driven by a MacBook Air with 500gB of SSD memory and 8gb of memory. This is more than ample for all my needs including HiFi. I do have a Synology NAS which has some of my music on it but I get most of my daily needs from Tidal. At the moment, I use Audirvana+ on the MacBook Air and ithe iPad version as well so a I can leave the MacBook alone for most of the time. As I have Sky Q, I am obliged to use their router which is quite satisfactory for all my needs. The Devialet 250 is connected to a switch and I have WiFi switched off.

Before exploring any other streaming options I will await what Devialet produce with thrir own streaming board. I also want to upgrade my speakers, possibly an 803 D3, when I can divert my wife's attention from the potential cost.
If you're thinking of running Roon, you might want to take a look at the article about minimum system requirements in their knowledge base (if you haven't already!).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks guys, both answers helped, looks like I will spend on the upper end of what I wanted but will get what I need for long term.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada