Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet vs. USB
(02-Dec-2014, 16:56)Antoine Wrote: Looks like a clean USB power supply solution plus a common and differential mode interference filter for mostly low frequency interference, but not the much higher frequency RFI generated inside computers.

I'm not sure if it's the lower or higher frequencies that hurt the signal the most. I guess Totaldac knows as they also have developed a USB signal and power filtering filtering unit that I now know from personal experience works like a charm! Smile

Liking the cable eh? Wink
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
(02-Dec-2014, 21:59)MusicLover Wrote:
(02-Dec-2014, 16:56)Antoine Wrote: Looks like a clean USB power supply solution plus a common and differential mode interference filter for mostly low frequency interference, but not the much higher frequency RFI generated inside computers.

I'm not sure if it's the lower or higher frequencies that hurt the signal the most. I guess Totaldac knows as they also have developed a USB signal and power filtering filtering unit that I now know from personal experience works like a charm! Smile

Liking the cable eh? Wink

Haha, I do! Smile I did hesitate though if I'd keep it. At first I thought it took away a bit of “life” and "vibrancy" but I now think it’s again the removal of some high frequency noise due to the built in filter. As you know I have already tuned and tweaked my PC based music server quite far which already reduced HF glare significantly but this seems to have been the final (if that even exists!) measure to deal with the HF noise “riding on” the highs. I do agree with some of the reviews though that the cable could be a bit too much for darker sounding sets or sets that were previously tuned to actually having this HF noise present.

After listening to it over some days I recognized that the last (mostly very commercial) recordings in which I thought the highs were unnatural previously, are actually OK now (I shouldn't have blamed the recording themselves, again, I've made that mistake many times before). So it didn't tip the scale the wrong way and I emailed Vincent I'd like to keep the cable.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I compared Totaldac USB with other USB cables and the very similar SQ have Entreq Konstantin with Minimus and Silver grounding. Finally I've took Totaldac for SQ/price relation. Other, which took my attention was SR Active, I liked sounstage and speed, but was too bright. In darker sounding systems Synergestic can be the right choice.
Anyone try the Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G split cable? I have one ready to use once I get my Linear Power Supply for my DAC. This will separate the data and power into two legs.

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to other than a standard USB cable.

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(03-Dec-2014, 20:12)adhesiv Wrote: Anyone try the Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G split cable? I have one ready to use once I get my Linear Power Supply for my DAC. This will separate the data and power into two legs.

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to other than a standard USB cable.

Didn't I read somewhere on this forum you don't need power on USB with Devialet? I guess it's easy to find out; just pull on plug :roll eyes:
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
No unfortunately it's not that simple. The Devialet doesn't need the +5V but does needs an active ground connection to the USB port. By severing the plug that carries the power you could also sever the earth connection, at least this was the case with my dual head Kingrex UCraft USB cable.

Also I've recently learned that motherboards and USB cards react differently to a connected device when the +5V is not connected. Some PC's don't even reach the BIOS POST (power on self test) screen, others let Windows disable the USB port as they think it is faulty. In my situation I have decided to keep the +5V active to prevent such issues.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I played around with a short DIY usb cable connecting to a Macbook Pro. Signals (Pins 2&3) are sufficient once a connection is established and connecting ground (Pin4 at the A end) is necessary to establish that connection (even worked when I used the ground post of the D250 instead of the USB input). There was no advantage sonically not to have a ground in the USB cable.
I have a PPA Studio dual head usb cable.

Works like a charm whether I plug in the power half (the red cable) or not.
But sounds better if I plug both of them to the computer (something to do with grounding I guess)

Cheers.

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I'm surprised again! Smile This again clearly show it's hard to predict if/how the link to the Devialet will work without the +5V active due to differences in internal USB cable wiring, computer mainboards/USB chip(sets)/USB interface cards etc.

I did the same test as Music or sound and with a standard freebie USB cable music playback stopped at the moment I cut either the USB ground wire or the shield wire, one of both had to be connected at all times in my setup.

The Netherlands
(05-Dec-2014, 17:05)Antoine Wrote: I'm surprised again! Smile This again clearly show it's hard to predict if/how the link to the Devialet will work without the +5V active due to differences in internal USB cable wiring, computer mainboards/USB chip(sets)/USB interface cards etc.

I did the same test as Music or sound and with a standard freebie USB cable music playback stopped at the moment I cut either the USB ground wire or the shield wire, one of both had to be connected at all times in my setup.

In think the difference is on the computer side and not a requirement of the Devialet input.