Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running AIR & ROON on an Intel NUC
I am currently running ROON, and AIR (3.0.4), on the family PC (Windows 10). Music is held on a freestanding WD Hard Drive connected to the PC via USB  3.0. All is currently working fine (touching wood as I type) with fantastic (to my aged ears) sound quality.

I would, however, very much like to run my music on a separate system, away from the family PC, to avoid any possible conflicts of use, and to ensure that it is running in a more controlled environment!! I had thought about utilising an Intel NUC, with Windows 10 (need this for AIR) and ROON, but wonder whether others out there are doing the same, and can offer any advice especially whether AIR and ROON run well together on a NUC. I know that ROON are in process of developing their ROCK system but, as I understand it, this precludes using AIR as it will be LINUX based and as Devialet Expert is not currently ROON compliant I would still need AIR, on Windows 10, to run ROON. I do not, at this moment in time, want to invest more money into a ROON compliant interface (dCS bridge, Mrendu, etc) so thought that the NUC route would be most cost effective. The NUC route may also be favourite because sometime in future (if the recent speculation re ROON and AIR turns out to be true (and works)) the ROCK system might be a possibility Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
ROCK may indeed become your solution. Recent rumours (actually leaks from beta testing) reveals that Roon is about to see the Devialet Expert amps as endpoints over ethernet or wifi. If you then install Roon Core on a NUC or use ROCK you'd be able to stream directly. The rumours does not tell when this will be released, but I guess before summer.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I currently run Roon and AIR on an old NUC and most of the time (99%) it's fine.

I will change to ROCK when available on a newer nuc to avoid the 1% when it doesn't work as expected. On this basis I was very pleased to hear that air may be included in roon soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
I run Roon and Air on an Intel NUC (i5) and it has been 100% reliable for me for many, many months. Currently using it with Windows 10 Pro.

The NUC is in a separate room from the Devialet. I happen to use ethernet for the connection to both my NUC and the Devialet.

8GB of RAM should suffice, I happen to have 16GB.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Many thanks for your assurances that all should be well running ROON and AIR on a NUC with Windows 10. Just another quick question, do any of you run them "headless" and does this cause any problems with downloading updates, or seeing when new ROON updates arrive?

As this is all new territory to me, I just need to pluck up the courage to proceed Undecided. I have/will be seeking advice from the ROON Community, and probably the more "knowledgeable" (more knowledgeable than me that is) of you here, on Devialet chat, if I decide to proceed Smile .

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I run mine headless and it mostly takes care of itself.

You can update Roon from the remote and Windows mostly just updates itself and restarts, as long as you have Roon and AIR set to run at start up its ok.

To update to a newer version of AIR you need to access the nuc, either physically or using Remote Desktop or similar.

It does occasionally throw a tantrum and forgets to start something but 99% of the time it's fine.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
I run headless as well, updates for Roon can occur without having to login to the NUC. For those times I do wish to control the NUC I use Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Chris & baddog, many thanks, that's very helpful. Just now need to take the plunge!

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
(15-May-2017, 21:41)brit Wrote: Many thanks for your assurances that all should be well running ROON and AIR on a NUC with Windows 10. Just another quick question, do any of you run them "headless" and does this cause any problems with downloading updates, or seeing when new ROON updates arrive?

As this is all new territory to me, I just need to pluck up the courage to proceed Undecided. I have/will be seeking advice from the ROON Community, and probably the more "knowledgeable" (more knowledgeable than me that is) of you here, on Devialet chat, if I decide to proceed Smile .

David

Brit, if you're not in a rush why not wait and see how things pan out over the coming months with ROCK etc?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-May-2017, 22:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(15-May-2017, 21:41)brit Wrote: Many thanks for your assurances that all should be well running ROON and AIR on a NUC with Windows 10. Just another quick question, do any of you run them "headless" and does this cause any problems with downloading updates, or seeing when new ROON updates arrive?

David

Brit, if you're not in a rush why not wait and see how things pan out over the coming months with ROCK etc?

Yes you may be right, just too impatient, just that it all seems to be going so slow  Rolleyes. I am sure that there is a good reason for delay, but still no guarantee that ROCK will enable the use of AIR.
or, as alternative, 

UK