Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running AIR & ROON on an Intel NUC
(22-May-2017, 17:21)mdconnelly Wrote: Danny Dulai/Roon posted an interesting set of comments about ROCK and the Nucleus in the Roon forum here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-do...h/25971/42

The part I found most interesting...

Turn-key solutions sold through the HiFi retail channel require margins for the distributors and the dealers. If you want to do this cheap, use ROCK + build yourself a NUC. No one can compete on price with that. We will soon have a button on our website that will add the suggested components to your amazon shopping cart.

Later in that post he estimates ~ $400 for an i3 NUC.    At this  point, I'd definitely wait for further clarification from Roon on the best NUC config for ROCK.

There are also questions in that thread about ROCK and Devialet AIR.   To that, Danny replied...

We messed up with that Devialet thing. I'll say more soon.

No idea what that might mean, but if Roon and Devialet now actually have a relationship, that's got to be good news.   Let's hope Devialet thinks so too.

I honestly think that this was an error of timing and might have been premature! It may be tied up in some way with the OS streamer Board (hopefully) being Roon ready. This I my optimistic take on the situation Smile.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(22-May-2017, 17:21)mdconnelly Wrote: Danny Dulai/Roon posted an interesting set of comments about ROCK and the Nucleus in the Roon forum here:

The part I found most interesting...

Turn-key solutions sold through the HiFi retail channel require margins for the distributors and the dealers. If you want to do this cheap, use ROCK + build yourself a NUC. No one can compete on price with that. We will soon have a button on our website that will add the suggested components to your amazon shopping cart.

Later in that post he estimates ~ $400 for an i3 NUC.    At this  point, I'd definitely wait for further clarification from Roon on the best NUC config for ROCK.

There are also questions in that thread about ROCK and Devialet AIR.   To that, Danny replied...

We messed up with that Devialet thing. I'll say more soon.

No idea what that might mean, but if Roon and Devialet now actually have a relationship, that's got to be good news.   Let's hope Devialet thinks so too.

How unique is this in the audio industry? I don't recall it elsewhere - coming up with an OS you can put in a case and sell through dealers, but also give it away for free (with a list of hardware you should buy) and let people have it cheaper?

I guess the money is made on the Roon subscription rather than hardware, so any ways of getting more subscribers is a good thing for Roon.

I like the device but if I ever went away from my Mac mini I'd probably go DIY as it is a fair bit more to pay. It is a nice case though - would have to see it in the flesh but it wouldn't live in the lounge anyway. I think they would have been better to do an i5 version. Since that fits the price/performance of a lot if users, it kind if forces people on the fence to go DIY.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My take is that Roon is being quite brilliant. There are likely quite a few well-heeled customers that would love what Roon can do but do not want to mess with the tech. I know of at least one installer that charges quite a bit to setup streaming solutions for such customers and I suspect the price of the Nucleus would be at least comparable if not cheaper that paying the installer (and yeah, I'm sure many installers will still make money off the Nucleus as well ;-)

For those of us that have been messing with such tech for quite a while, of course we would just pop for a DIY NUC. Roon Labs will even make it quite transparent how to do so cost effectively with assurance that it will work.

Maybe I'm just a Roon fanboy, but I'm quite impressed with them - their software of course, but more importantly, the way they conduct their business.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(22-May-2017, 21:33)mdconnelly Wrote: Maybe I'm just a Roon fanboy, but I'm quite impressed with them - their software of course, but more importantly, the way they conduct their business.

Don't worry, there's plenty of us. Big Grin

Devialet 'customers' are probably easy prey for Roon. We're so used to zero communication and PR bullshit, that all it would take is a company to be 'reasonable' to get excited. The fact that Roon are the complete opposite is a real bonus. But beyond that I just like the software - I never even thought about multi-room, but now I couldn't live without it - and it all just kind of evolved after I'd got the license. Now I can do enough DSP to keep me happy. Any niggles I have pale in comparison to the rate of progress. They make Devialet's EVO platform and firmware updates seem like nonsense - not least since I don't think there's been any of note for as long as I can remember.

BUT, it seems like maybe they finally listened at least? To what extent, time will tell.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I find it crazy that Devialet would not be out marketing the hell out of an upcoming Roon partnership deal, particularly if it's somehow tied to the new OS/streamer board. It would (will?) be a huge kudos to them with existing customers and likely to sell more Experts as a result.

You're right - time will tell.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(22-May-2017, 16:42)brit Wrote:
(22-May-2017, 07:28)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks for Links above. The ROCK is it called as Nucleus? it says Nucleus for $1200  &  Nucleus+ for $2000

IMHO - Thats expensive. I would still pick up NUC + a good 1/2TB SSD on board so ROON need not get into ETH -> seek out NAS (probably spinning) and then fetch -> back to NUC -> streaming through USB/ETH (for Devialet AIR) -> to respective devices. Onboard SSD matters if AIR needs to be used without glitch/cracks etc.

FYI - NUC (6th gen SYH) + 1TB SSD = ~$550

Not too sure whether you have seen this or not, apologies if you have:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Some useful background and information. 

David
Donot be sorry, on the contrary I m happy to read about ROCK from above link. Thanks for sharing Smile!.

Sorry for this big replay ... bear with me!.

Firstly thank you David for creating this thread!. I was completely off for few months from audio music etc.

Recently I started playing Roon 1.3 (post upgrade) and some how it is not going well. Problems related to NAS. And i still dont have NUC/Equivalent dedicated to my Roon. I always had this pain to start my Mac (Roon Server) and from ipad4 play music. Which means Each time need to boot up Mac (pretty quick but ... still not dedicated) and then wait for Ipad to get its dial 1-800-Roon-Server ( Smile  love writing this)  and then get going. Maybe still not very time consuming but still my setup around Roon is not dedicated. I was seriously considering to pick up NUC shortly (<1month).

However if I have NUC, dedicated to Roon, it still needs to boot up Win-10 (whatever) and then ROON comes alive followed by ipad dialing 1-800-xx.

I just opened the ROCK link you have posted above and am still reading it back and forth while writing here. So ROCK is dedicated OS, which can be installed on NUC (assumed specs per Roon), and needs no WIN-10/whatever?
==> This is AWESOME news Smile!. Power-On the NUC and ROON OS will boot up and ROON-Server is ready. THIS is FANTASTIC.

-ROCK can be installed on a Raw NUC (still reading the link, maybe answers are there).
-How to transfer Audio files from NAS to NUC interan SDD? (visible on Ipad/remote devie to operate ROCK? )
-Or we will need Monitor (its fine though) ... just asking early curiosity queries.

Anyways happy reading ROCK to myself!.

All - I would read this link with more curiosity regarding ROCK etc. Anyone share more on ROCK. Do share your experience post ROCK installation. I m sure I will also visit Roon community to read more issues/concerns on ROCK.

/Jnan
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"

Thanks for this Link too!. Excellent read. Excited all over again Smile. It was boring these last few days Smile.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
(23-May-2017, 11:13)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(22-May-2017, 16:42)brit Wrote:
(22-May-2017, 07:28)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks for Links above. The ROCK is it called as Nucleus? it says Nucleus for $1200  &  Nucleus+ for $2000

IMHO - Thats expensive. I would still pick up NUC + a good 1/2TB SSD on board so ROON need not get into ETH -> seek out NAS (probably spinning) and then fetch -> back to NUC -> streaming through USB/ETH (for Devialet AIR) -> to respective devices. Onboard SSD matters if AIR needs to be used without glitch/cracks etc.

FYI - NUC (6th gen SYH) + 1TB SSD = ~$550

Not too sure whether you have seen this or not, apologies if you have:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Some useful background and information. 

David
Donot be sorry, on the contrary I m happy to read about ROCK from above link. Thanks for sharing Smile!.

Sorry for this big replay ... bear with me!.

Firstly thank you David for creating this thread!. I was completely off for few months from audio music etc.

Recently I started playing Roon 1.3 (post upgrade) and some how it is not going well. Problems related to NAS. And i still dont have NUC/Equivalent dedicated to my Roon. I always had this pain to start my Mac (Roon Server) and from ipad4 play music. Which means Each time need to boot up Mac (pretty quick but ... still not dedicated) and then wait for Ipad to get its dial 1-800-Roon-Server ( Smile  love writing this)  and then get going. Maybe still not very time consuming but still my setup around Roon is not dedicated. I was seriously considering to pick up NUC shortly (<1month).

However if I have NUC, dedicated to Roon, it still needs to boot up Win-10 (whatever) and then ROON comes alive followed by ipad dialing 1-800-xx.

I just opened the ROCK link you have posted above and am still reading it back and forth while writing here. So ROCK is dedicated OS, which can be installed on NUC (assumed specs per Roon), and needs no WIN-10/whatever?
==> This is AWESOME news Smile!. Power-On the NUC and ROON OS will boot up and ROON-Server is ready. THIS is FANTASTIC.

-ROCK can be installed on a Raw NUC (still reading the link, maybe answers are there).
-How to transfer Audio files from NAS to NUC interan SDD? (visible on Ipad/remote devie to operate ROCK? )
-Or we will need Monitor (its fine though) ... just asking early curiosity queries.

Anyways happy reading ROCK to myself!.

All - I would read this link with more curiosity regarding ROCK etc. Anyone share more on ROCK. Do share your experience post ROCK installation. I m sure I will also visit Roon community to read more issues/concerns on ROCK.

/Jnan

Hi Jnan, happy reading. Like you I have been "devouring" all there is to read about ROCK (and if/how it will integrate with Devialet AIR!). We are now off for a couple of weeks, so will not be able to keep up with developments Smile.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Manchester Attack OMG! I'm so sorry Folks! Just saw the news! Little slow... myself