Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable with a single Phantom
Hi,

I have a single silver phantom and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using a turntable with a single phantom?

thanks!

M
I use my Phantoms (now 2 Gold, previously 2  Silver) in different settings. Sometimes with CDs, sometimes with vinyls, somtimes with lossless files, sometimes with a single Phantom (in a second home) and most often with 2. Since I never use my turntable in a single Phantom setting, maybe my experience can help if you tell me more about your situation.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(17-May-2017, 09:42)ChalleB Wrote: Hi,

I have a single silver phantom and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using a turntable with a single phantom?

thanks!

M

Yes I know very well someone who have been doing so for quite some times. 

He was having a single phantom with a USB turn table connected to it and it was really pleasant. 

It is having all the limitations of a single speaker vs 2 as well as the specificities of vinyl (the euphonic inaccuracies combined with the emotional attraction of the physical object) but it was a very pleasant experience still.

So if you love vinyl and have a single phantom, my recommendation would be not to refrain yourself from enjoying your LPs on your phantom and proceed.

You will always be able to add a second one later on to move to stereo.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(18-May-2017, 07:14)Jean-Marie Wrote:

thanks!

M

He was having a single phantom with a USB turn table connected to it and it was really pleasant. 

It is having all the limitations of a single speaker vs 2 as well as the specificities of vinyl (the euphonic inaccuracies combined with the emotional attraction of the physical object) but it was a very pleasant experience still.

So if you love vinyl and have a single phantom, my recommendation would be not to refrain yourself from enjoying your LPs on your phantom and proceed.

Jean-Marie

A question on this : 
When having 2 Phantoms, is it possible to connect the Turntable to one Phantom instead the of the Dialog, and still enjoying the Stereo ? I suppose so since it works this way with the bluetooth connection...
Yes, every signal you feed into one of the Phantoms goes to the dialog and is then distributed the way you have configured it. Examples are stereo to two Phantoms, merged to several rooms, i.e. multiple Phantoms etc. What still is missing is multispeaker decoding like 5.1 or 7.1.
(18-May-2017, 11:44)Phantom078 Wrote:
(18-May-2017, 07:14)Jean-Marie Wrote:

thanks!

M

Jean-Marie

A question on this : 
When having 2 Phantoms, is it possible to connect the Turntable to one Phantom instead the of the Dialog, and still enjoying the Stereo ? I suppose so since it works this way with the bluetooth connection...
You have no choice to connect a turntable but to one Phantom because there is no optical input on Dialog. Regarding bluetooth I discourage using it everytime you use hifi device because of the drastic quality loss.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(23-May-2017, 06:57)Jean-Claude Wrote:
(18-May-2017, 11:44)Phantom078 Wrote:
(18-May-2017, 07:14)Jean-Marie Wrote: Yes I know very well someone who have been doing so for quite some times. 

Jean-Marie

A question on this : 
You have no choice to connect a turntable but to one Phantom because there is no optical input on Dialog. Regarding bluetooth I discourage using it everytime you use hifi device because of the drastic quality loss.

Dialog has an optical input, but so far this input has the problem of short interrupts or clicks compared to the Phantoms that are stable and error-free on the optical input. This micht have changed with the lastest FW update of yesterday. I hope on Dialog and not on the PhantomsSmile. I think we need a few days of testing this latest FW. For sure it got better in streaming behavior, now is able to play gapless and indicates how much of the track has been transferred.