Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD Not Working
Need help here.

Have had a Devialet for 3 plus years (originally a 120 and now a 1000) and have used HP Player and ROON for several years. After numerous system changes over the last 6 months or so, PCM works fine but I can't get DSD to play through the Devialet. Music plays but as I turn the volume up the sound will ping pong sporadically from one speaker to the next. DSD used to work fine.

I listen to TIDAL and music from a NAS. The system has grown with lots of small components to improve the sound - one could question if that is the issue - but I think not.

My system includes a Macbook Air (i7 with sierra recently installed) that sends tunes through an ethernet cable to my router then through two TP-Link conditioners to a aqvox switch then to a mRendu then to a Gustard u12 and finally to a Devialet 1000 via Optical, RCA, or XLR (have tried all three). Hard to imagine anything comes out after all that but that's another story.....

Using ROON with HQP as a NAA and the Gustard as the end point (my preferred method) PCM works fine - DSD does not (even though the Dev indicates it is receiving DSD64)

I have tried several things to no avail.
  • changed DSD related options in HQP (buffer, rate, etc) - no improvement
  • removed the TP-Links - no improvement
  • removed the Gustard and went USB from the mRendu to the Devs - no improvement
  • removed the mRendu and went directly to the Devs from the computer with USB - no improvement
  • instead of NAA (in HQP) I used the Core Audio route  - no improvement
  • removed HQP altogether and used ROON's DSD upsampling - no improvement.

I'm at a loss at this point. I have the latest OS on the MAC, latest HQP software, most recent Dev firmware, and latest ROON software.  I'm pretty familiar with HQP so I believe I have all the appropriate boxes checked (DoP, DSD, etc) - (I can send screen shots later in the day). I had assumed this was a HQP issue initially, but, if DSD doesn't work in ROON upsampling ether, it makes me think it may be a Devialet issue?? After I upgraded to 1000, the XLR input on one of the amps was not working and I had to send it back to France - so I know problems can happen.

I contacted Eva a week ago and got a response that she would have the engineers look into it - have heard nothing since.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
Can't comment on a lot of your chain because I don't know HQPlayer, but when I used a microrendu in RoonReady mode, set to DoP, DSD64 worked fine. It (the rendu) was connected directly to a switch, and single USB cable to the Devialet. It also worked when the USB had an Intona inline.

If you haven't tried that exact setup, I'd try it and see.

Now I'm back to AIR, and sadly DSD is broken in the latest version on a Mac so that won't help your tests.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-May-2017, 18:15)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Can't comment on a lot of your chain because I don't know HQPlayer, but when I used a microrendu in RoonReady mode, set to DoP, DSD64 worked fine. It (the rendu) was connected directly to a switch, and single USB cable to the Devialet. It also worked when the USB had an Intona inline.

If you haven't tried that exact setup, I'd try it and see.

Now I'm back to AIR, and sadly DSD is broken in the latest version on a Mac so that won't help your tests.

Thanks for the suggestion - although I tried that before I just tried again - still not working. Only other thought I had was to switch the Dev's - make the master the companion and the companion the master and see if that has any impact - I don't have a clue how the DSD works but maybe one of the units has a bust. Will try this later this evening.
New England
USA
Are you able to run each individually as 250pro to try and isolate? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with what you can do with dual mono setups.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I switched the master and companion and it is no different - volume still breaks up. I can try one of the mono blocks ( as a 250 ) but thought since I haven't sold my 120 yet I'll try that first - so that is my next task.
New England
USA
Set up Dev 120 and got the same problem trying to play DSD64. Makes me think it isn't a Devialet problem so I'm at a loss. Since DSD doesn't work with HQ Player or ROON I wonder if it isn't a MAC issue.
Anyone have any thoughts?
New England
USA
How are you connected in this setup?
DSD was fine for me when I had rendu in RAAT mode and my core on a Mac mini.
Maybe it's worth posting some screen shots of your Roon and rendu setup. I doubt there's anything there- but it might just be worth a double-check.

In terms of connectivity - when not using HQ Player  - I have an ethernet connection to mRendu then either direct to Dev with USB or after mRendu it goes to a Gustard u12 then to Dev via optical, XLR, or RCA - none of which work.

Yesterday I substituted a Dev 120 ilo the 1000pro - same result. That makes me think it is not the Devialet - unless it is the firmware - I used the latest 10.1 for all these test. If the FW was the issue - I would think others would be posting problems.

As I said above - DSD works ok (I believe) up to a certain volume - then starts ping-pongong between speakers and eventually all sound stops. I pushed it today - got to around -2dbs and the Dev light went from orange to red.

Other than trying an older firmware, I am stumped - I have tried enabling all the options in ROON and HQP. 

I will attempt to attach some photos of settings in the ROON READY mode. I could attach HQP images, but since you (hifi_swlon) don't use HQP and no one else is responding I don't want to add too many pics.

Appreciate your help

New England
USA
How much have you set up for the headroom? Do you have something like -6 or -7db there? Can you attenuate the signal more on the SDM Gain Adjustment?

I haven't got a similar problem than what you are having, but I remember that once I tried not to attenuate signal enough in SDM Gain Adjustment and that resulted in distortion noises/clipping.

I hope you will find a solution soon.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I'll try the SDM Gain Adjustment - should it go up or down? I thought I tried several adjustments in the HEADROOM Tab, but will go back and try again.
Ocean from Devialet has checked in and hopefully can assist as well.
Thanks,
Dan
New England
USA