Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting APE files to Flac
I just spent the weekend ripping my cd files via JRiver so I can flip to Roon.  All the files came out as api files not original format.  Strangely it shows up OK in JRiver software but the master files are all wrong thus not recognized by Roon  Is there a way to convert the files back to a usable format?  What is the best way to do this in future if I have to start from scratch?
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
I am not aware of the API format, could you possibly mean one of these formats? And are you doing this on a Mac or PC or ???

FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM, AIFF, WAV
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(22-May-2017, 01:10)baddog Wrote: I am not aware of the API format, could you possibly mean one of these formats? And are you doing this on a Mac or PC or ???

FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM, AIFF, WAV

Typo yest it is APE
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
Well if you are on a Mac you could use something such as XLD to convert those APE files to AIFF or FLAC.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Windows 10; I did see where they do have a Windows version, do you know if on the Mac side if there is a loss of quality when converting?  

I did find EAC software that will convert the CD'S to flac but days of work. I did one and the quality seemed better than the cd??
                                    GTA, Canada
Both APE and FLAC are lossless formats, so you should not lose any quality when converting.

Never had an issues using XLD on my Mac, both for ripping and for converting formats.
SXSW, US
Thanks Baddog...thanks to your input I did some hunting and some comparisons.  First dBPoweramp makes a very good converter that is very easy to use and a free 21 day trial.  The only hang up on it was it duplicated the files so I had both ape and flac.  Not a big deal but if trying to conserve space on the hard drive you need to delete the ape.  I also used EAC (Easy Audio Copy) to re-rip the cd's.  This did not work quite as well; the sound quality was fine but the information packet is very weak, missing about 10 of the album covers then once the system figured out what files to put album's into it would go back to install in one music file only, so Mark Knofpler had about 8 cd's in it before I figured it out.  I then did a comparison of a few of the rips to compare quality via Roon.  Thankfully there was no difference in quality and both sounded better than the cd itself.  Bottom line dBPowerp saved the day and will complete the rest of the files on the weekend.

Thanks again baddog.
                                    GTA, Canada
You can tell jriver to rip to almost any format. Why are you not using jriver to convert your ape files to flac? That probably the easiest Solution.....
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(24-May-2017, 20:38)Mka Wrote: You can tell jriver to rip to almost any format. Why are you not using jriver to convert your ape files to flac? That probably the easiest Solution.....
I did try to convert using JRiver, but the way the files end up you have to highlight each track to delete individually.  Does not seem like a big deal, but after doing 5 cd's and having 3 of them copy the highlight instead of delete I gave up.  I know this is either user error or finicky keyboard but either way vast amounts of work versus dbpoweramp that when converted keeps the original ape files highlighted for easy removal.  As for converting originally didn't know and it was all done.
                                    GTA, Canada