Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMC Speakers Owner Thread
(28-May-2017, 22:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Fact 8's here.

I wasn't that happy with the 200/fact combo - it always felt a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Ok my room measures horribly but even with room correction DSP it was a bit lacking in bass attack and treble finesse in particular. I put a lot of that down to the 200.

The 250Pro is significantly better (and even more so now I've got basic Room Correction back), but it's made me wonder how much better they would be with more power - say a 440 or 1000. On paper they are fairly sensitive and don't need much power (I don't need much cranking of the volume to go loud) but the 200-250pro upgrade makes me think they'd benefit from more. Certainly when PMC discuss them, they recommend getting the higher power Bryston amps.

I think the facts look beautiful but I want something with more bass slam and a more forgiving treble. I also think they are designed for the higher end source, amps and room - and do very little to help you get an enjoyable sound. No doubt this is by design - they're meant to deliver what they're given - but I'd opt for something easier going next time. They've taken a while (over a year!) to dial in position-wise too, and I don't think they're as easy to place as PMC make out.

I've only done home demos on a couple of other things, and a few more in stores, but stuck with them for the time being to save money and partly because so many speakers look damn ugly in my opinion.  The PMCs don't exactly disappear in my lounge, but they're not an eyesore either. Aesthetically what I'd really like is a Wilson Sabrina in white, but at about a third of the cost - so far that hasn't materialised. When it does I'll probably change!

Ironically I probably would have changed to Phantoms, but I couldn't stand the Spark software and my shop demo wasnt glitch free. Also at the time I was enraged with Devialet (I've since calmed as AIR at least mostly works now after a two year wait) so that helped them lose the sale. If they ever become RoonReady I'd do another demo.

Have you ever heard Fact 12? They should have at least more bass, don't know about slam Smile

I have heard PMC twenty-series couple times in a store and every time I have liked how they sound like. They sound very exciting in my opinion and look pretty. Perhaps the best compliment for PMC's is that it's just so easy to enjoy from music with them (and forget the fact that you are listening some hifi equipment). Therefore I have been thinking about Fact 8 or 12 but the problem is that I have never heard the Facts. Has anyone done a comparison between Facts and twenty/twenty5 series? How do the Facts sound in comparison?

I have seen and heard Wilson Sabrina in a store, too. They actually look amazing, much better in reality than what we see in the pictures. The finishing is absolutely first class, I have never seen better. I am not sure about what to think about their sound. I heard them once with ASR amp and Linn Akurate DSM front end. They sounded impressive with some easy going vocal jazz but problems started with rock music. The listening room was relatively small and there were huge room modes ruining the bass. Probably that was the main reason why I wasn't particularly impressed by Sabrinas in the end. They definitely can produce a lot of bass, so room correction is probably needed in many smaller/non-dedicated listening rooms. I am not sure was the dealer using the Linn Space Optimization.

I have to agree on your point regarding the Spark. It ruins the Phantoms a bit. I have heard Phantoms Silvers and Golds few times but always got disappointed by the Spark. Phantoms can produce massive amount of bass but without any possibility doing a digital room correction is probably a deal breaker for many (it was for me). Moreover, my wife didn't like sound of the Golds, they sounded a bit dull and dark in her opinion. Music wasn't exciting anymore with the Golds. On the other hand, I can totally understand why many like sound of the Phantom Golds. They sound very relaxed and pleasant, and if one happens to like heavy bass that can reach down to 20 hz, then that's probably a dream speaker (if you can live with Spark) Smile

Many times it's just a matter of preferences / personal taste, so audition is always recommended before buying any new hifi stuff.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(29-May-2017, 06:36)petrik Wrote: Have you ever heard Fact 12? They should have at least more bass, don't know about slam Smile

No. I hear from pretty much anyone I asked that they're significantly better than the 8 - like the difference between good and amazing. But they're a bit bigger - deeper and taller (a no no for me, I want to head the other way), and they're 12 grand!  That falls into unaffordable, for me anyway.

The few PMC dealers I spoke to thought the facts a better speaker, but one had the previous gen 26 at home instead. He felt it was a bit more 'fun' and easy going. I don't think that meant relaxed, but probably less 'honest' maybe. I.e. Make poorer sources etc sounds better. But this is all second hand.

I have to say with my latest Roon DSP convolution (from REW) and a slight EQ they sound a lot better in my lounge.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-May-2017, 11:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(29-May-2017, 06:36)petrik Wrote: Have you ever heard Fact 12? They should have at least more bass, don't know about slam Smile

No. I hear from pretty much anyone I asked that they're significantly better than the 8 - like the difference between good and amazing. But they're a bit bigger - deeper and taller (a no no for me, I want to head the other way), and they're 12 grand!  That falls into unaffordable, for me anyway.

The few PMC dealers I spoke to thought the facts a better speaker, but one had the previous gen 26 at home instead. He felt it was a bit more 'fun' and easy going. I don't think that meant relaxed, but probably less 'honest' maybe. I.e. Make poorer sources etc sounds better. But this is all second hand.

I have to say with my latest Roon DSP convolution (from REW) and a slight EQ they sound a lot better in my lounge.

I demo'ed both the Fact8 and the 20.26 when I bought my 26's - the dealer said ahead of the demo that the Fact8 is more "correct" and the 26's are more "party/fun" and that's pretty much what I heard - I think both are very good tbh, but since I mostly listen to rock I think the 26's won out for me. One thing I learnt on my speaker journey was that they are very much a personal decision - the differences are much, much greater than what you get between most sources/amps etc.....I didn't really get on with the SF Olympica II whereas others absolutely love them with Devialet.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(29-May-2017, 06:36)petrik Wrote:

I wasn't that happy with the 200/fact combo - it always felt a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Ok my room measures horribly but even with room correction DSP it was a bit lacking in bass attack and treble finesse in particular. I put a lot of that down to the 200.

The 250Pro is significantly better (and even more so now I've got basic Room Correction back), but it's made me wonder how much better they would be with more power - say a 440 or 1000. On paper they are fairly sensitive and don't need much power (I don't need much cranking of the volume to go loud) but the 200-250pro upgrade makes me think they'd benefit from more. Certainly when PMC discuss them, they recommend getting the higher power Bryston amps.

I think the facts look beautiful but I want something with more bass slam and a more forgiving treble. I also think they are designed for the higher end source, amps and room - and do very little to help you get an enjoyable sound. No doubt this is by design - they're meant to deliver what they're given - but I'd opt for something easier going next time. They've taken a while (over a year!) to dial in position-wise too, and I don't think they're as easy to place as PMC make out.

I've only done home demos on a couple of other things, and a few more in stores, but stuck with them for the time being to save money and partly because so many speakers look damn ugly in my opinion.  The PMCs don't exactly disappear in my lounge, but they're not an eyesore either. Aesthetically what I'd really like is a Wilson Sabrina in white, but at about a third of the cost - so far that hasn't materialised. When it does I'll probably change!

Ironically I probably would have changed to Phantoms, but I couldn't stand the Spark software and my shop demo wasnt glitch free. Also at the time I was enraged with Devialet (I've since calmed as AIR at least mostly works now after a two year wait) so that helped them lose the sale. If they ever become RoonReady I'd do another demo.

Have you ever heard Fact 12? They should have at least more bass, don't know about slam Smile

I have heard PMC twenty-series couple times in a store and every time I have liked how they sound like. They sound very exciting in my opinion and look pretty. Perhaps the best compliment for PMC's is that it's just so easy to enjoy from music with them (and forget the fact that you are listening some hifi equipment). Therefore I have been thinking about Fact 8 or 12 but the problem is that I have never heard the Facts. Has anyone done a comparison between Facts and twenty/twenty5 series? How do the Facts sound in comparison?

I have seen and heard Wilson Sabrina in a store, too. They actually look amazing, much better in reality than what we see in the pictures. The finishing is absolutely first class, I have never seen better. I am not sure about what to think about their sound. I heard them once with ASR amp and Linn Akurate DSM front end. They sounded impressive with some easy going vocal jazz but problems started with rock music. The listening room was relatively small and there were huge room modes ruining the bass. Probably that was the main reason why I wasn't particularly impressed by Sabrinas in the end. They definitely can produce a lot of bass, so room correction is probably needed in many smaller/non-dedicated listening rooms. I am not sure was the dealer using the Linn Space Optimization.

I have to agree on your point regarding the Spark. It ruins the Phantoms a bit. I have heard Phantoms Silvers and Golds few times but always got disappointed by the Spark. Phantoms can produce massive amount of bass but without any possibility doing a digital room correction is probably a deal breaker for many (it was for me). Moreover, my wife didn't like sound of the Golds, they sounded a bit dull and dark in her opinion. Music wasn't exciting anymore with the Golds. On the other hand, I can totally understand why many like sound of the Phantom Golds. They sound very relaxed and pleasant, and if one happens to like heavy bass that can reach down to 20 hz, then that's probably a dream speaker (if you can live with Spark) Smile

Many times it's just a matter of preferences / personal taste, so audition is always recommended before buying any new hifi stuff.
Has anyone done a comparison between Facts and twenty/twenty5 series? How do the Facts sound in comparison?

I have listened to the Fact 8, Twenty 23, 26 and Twenty5 26.  I think the Twenty5 26 is an improvement from the Twenty series in terms of precision and is more like the Fact 8 in that regards.  However, compared to the Fact 8, I've found the Twenty5 26 to be larger sounding and more versatile with different musical genres.  I would pick the Twenty5 26 rather than the Fact 8.  My dealer told me that Fact 12 is a different beast but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(29-May-2017, 11:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

I have found that using HQPlayer pushes up my sound quality a notch with a more expansive soundstage.   Big Grin
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(28-May-2017, 19:12)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(26-May-2017, 08:41)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: PMC Twenty26  driven by a D200 for about three years now. I am thinking of upgrading to D400 within this year

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

You might not want to hear this  Smile

But I found going to D400 with the 26's was a big step forward, the temperature on the single amp was heading to very high levels (55C+) and dropped a lot with the dual mono option. I think the 26's are a tricky load with low impedence. 

Now on D440 and better still.

Yes, the 26s are.pretty cumbersome a load for many amplifiers. I am on athe saving as mentioned earlier and until that time cpmes, maybe the new streamer board will come up.

However, I am more interested and curious in the new OS. If the latter turns out well, maybe I will upgrade to 220 instead od 400.

Time will tell I believe...

[/quote]

My logic is to skip the Pro and wait for the new series in the next few years when I upgraded from 200 to 800.   Sleepy

(28-May-2017, 19:12)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(26-May-2017, 08:41)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: PMC Twenty26  driven by a D200 for about three years now. I am thinking of upgrading to D400 within this year

You might not want to hear this  Smile

But I found going to D400 with the 26's was a big step forward, the temperature on the single amp was heading to very high levels (55C+) and dropped a lot with the dual mono option. I think the 26's are a tricky load with low impedence. 

Now on D440 and better still.

Yes, the 26s are.pretty cumbersome a load for many amplifiers. I am on athe saving as mentioned earlier and until that time cpmes, maybe the new streamer board will come up.

However, I am more interested and curious in the new OS. If the latter turns out well, maybe I will upgrade to 220 instead od 400.

Time will tell I believe...

[/quote]

My logic is to skip the Pro and wait for the new series in the next few years when I upgraded from 200 to 800.   Sleepy
[/quote]
I am thinking the same.thing, that.is.why I believe d400 is the best option for me right now...

(29-May-2017, 06:36)petrik Wrote:

Interesting read,i don t want to ruin this thread, but as a recent sabrina owner i would like just give my impression.
Sabrina is aesthetically and sonically magnificent.
When i just installed them in my living room they in fact sounded boomy, but after few adjustments they started settling up.
Now they sound damn good , specially in the bass.
I still feel they can go deeper , and better !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stop rubbing it in! Smile Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-May-2017, 18:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Stop rubbing it in! Smile Big Grin

It wasnt my intention at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk