Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMC Speakers Owner Thread
(28-May-2017, 22:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Ironically I probably would have changed to Phantoms, but I couldn't stand the Spark software and my shop demo wasnt glitch free. Also at the time I was enraged with Devialet (I've since calmed as AIR at least mostly works now after a two year wait) so that helped them lose the sale. If they ever become RoonReady I'd do another demo.

Maybe now its the right time to go back to retry the Phantoms. Though, Spark has by far not reached the usability of roon. But the latest firmware update brought to the Phantoms streaming stability and snappiness, that had not been available before. Finally, gapless playing, state of the art buffering, 24bit/192k streaming from Qobuz or from local folders works rock stable. No single dropout for more than one week of listening to any source offered through Spark. Volume and play, pause, next track control from Apple watch, Ipad, and Iphone start screen. Hopefully RAAT comes to Phantoms soon. In the meantime, a rpi with hifiberry optically connected to a Phantom does the job.
(29-May-2017, 22:31)streamy Wrote:
(28-May-2017, 22:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Ironically I probably would have changed to Phantoms, but I couldn't stand the Spark software and my shop demo wasnt glitch free. Also at the time I was enraged with Devialet (I've since calmed as AIR at least mostly works now after a two year wait) so that helped them lose the sale. If they ever become RoonReady I'd do another demo.

Maybe now its the right time to go back to retry the Phantoms. Though, Spark has by far not reached the usability of roon. But the latest firmware update brought to the Phantoms streaming stability and snappiness, that had not been available before. Finally, gapless playing, state of the art buffering, 24bit/192k streaming from Qobuz or from local folders works rock stable. No single dropout for more than one week of listening to any source offered through Spark. Volume and play, pause, next track control from Apple watch, Ipad, and Iphone start screen. Hopefully RAAT comes to Phantoms soon. In the meantime, a rpi with hifiberry optically connected to a Phantom does the job.

Probably taking us off the PMC topic a bit, but, no - they're off the menu.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

How is PMC sound signature matched with Devialet. Isn't it too forward ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
(30-May-2017, 07:17)Emerald Wrote: How is PMC sound signature matched with Devialet. Isn't it too forward ?

That depends on the setup. Mine, the soundstage is from the speakers and back.

Try changing the jumpers od the speakers, if your speaker cables are decent....

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
I'm always after "de-digi-fying" my sound as much as possible, so when I went to listen to five pairs of speakers with the intention of buying the new Quad Z3's, I was surprised by the sweetness of the treble and the size of the sound from the small PMC 25.23, so I ended up choosing them for my D120 instead.
I'd always thought a "monitor" company like PMC would not entertain such a pleasant 'colouration'... although they do (strangely) engineer an 'inaccurate' midrange dip around 2KHz. Having measured them (+my room) many times, it's a bit annoying to find them sounding a bit more 'right' when I fill in that dip subtly with some PEQ.
Furthermore, since I changed to Tellurium Q Black cable, there is no chance of this combo being forward anymore.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(30-May-2017, 10:15)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(30-May-2017, 07:17)Emerald Wrote: How is PMC sound signature matched with Devialet. Isn't it too forward ?

That depends on the setup. Mine, the soundstage is from the speakers and back.

Try changing the jumpers od the speakers, if your speaker cables are decent....

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

My experience is similar to Fragoulisnaval.  I don't find my PMC too forward sounding.
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
I find mine forward sounding (without room correction).

For context I'm using them in an average uk living room though, which probably isn't what they're designed for despite the advertising blurb having them in some kind of luxury apartment with concrete floors and glass windows everywhere - which I can imagine would make you want to run fir cover screaming in agony just at the thought of a trumpet sound.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I have never owned a pair of PMC speakers, so my comments here can be considered as gentle musings rather than any kind of authoritative statement.

A few years ago I casually looking around at speakers and other kit, I knew that in two or three years time I would be making a big upgrade in my hifi kit, so I was trying to get as much information as possible. At this time I visited the Bristol 'Sound and Vision' show, I am not sure of the exact year now, but 2009 or 2010 I think. As is fairly normal at shows, there were many rooms and demos that were a little disappointing, but a do recall spending a disproportionate amount of time in the PMC room where they were demonstrating the PMC PB1i 'Signature'. At the time I recall this being one of the best sounding rooms in the show, and PMC found themselves on my 'future audition list'. Fast forward to 2013 and I was looking around for demos of all sorts of stuff, by now with a serious intent to buy. I noticed that the new Fact 12's had just come out and booked myself an audition at Oxford Audio. I had high hopes for the Fact 12's, especially with them being reassuringly more expensive than the old PB1i's that I recalled that I liked. It was a good demo, with Devialet 240 power, but I did end the demo feeling a little disappointed. All I can say is that they did not 'do it for me', so I wasn't going to part with £12K for them. In fact, I did end up wondering why the Fact 12 was £5k more than the PB1i and yet had significantly smaller bass drivers. (The 12's have 140mm drivers, the PB1i's 170mm) OK, these auditions were a few years apart, in different rooms and with different amps, but to this day I wonder just how good those old PB1i's might be? Maybe not as good as I recall? Maybe a current second-hand bargain?

Oddly enough, the Fact 12 audition day ended with me trying the KEF Blade, which OAC also had available for demo, they did do it for me! Although I think it was about another 5 months of trying different stuff at different places before I finally parted with any cash.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that I did have a very quick listen to the Twenty 26 at a show earlier this year, another one that sounded very good at the time.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(31-May-2017, 13:14)Confused Wrote: Oddly enough, the Fact 12 audition day ended with me trying the KEF Blade, which OAC also had available for demo, they did do it for me! Although I think it was about another 5 months of trying different stuff at different places before I finally parted with any cash.

May I ask what were the main differences between PMC Fact 12 and KEF Blade?
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(31-May-2017, 15:27)petrik Wrote:
(31-May-2017, 13:14)Confused Wrote: Oddly enough, the Fact 12 audition day ended with me trying the KEF Blade, which OAC also had available for demo, they did do it for me!  Although I think it was about another 5 months of trying different stuff at different places before I finally parted with any cash.

May I ask what were the main differences between PMC Fact 12 and KEF Blade?

To be clear here, this particular audition was about four years ago now, so I cannot claim to remember every detail.  However, I do remember the key impressions very clearly and these were mostly related to bass performance.  I recall the PMC's being generally very good, but being a little disappointed with the bass performance.  I can actually recall the conversation with one of the OAC guys regarding why the Fact 12's were vastly more expensive than the outgoing PB1i's, and yet equipped with smaller bass drivers.  In comparison the Blades had vastly more powerful and visceral bass.  (Yet still very accurate)  Raw numbers can be deceptive, but the Blades have 4 x 230mm drivers versus the PMC's 2 x 140mm, so quite a difference.  (only part of the story, I know)  I can also recall being far more engaged with the Blades versus being left slightly cold by the PMC's, as I said, they somehow didn't do it for me.  There is a huge amount of personal preference here though, I can think of some speakers that others have given rave reviews to on this forum, which personally I do not like much, but that's to be expected with speakers I think. 

Other points to note are that they look very different, the Blades do not exactly blend in to the average domestic environment!  Plus I think the Blades can be very fussy with respect to room size and layout, if the room is too narrow they do sound a little odd, if the room is too large they can sound a little lost, and the side mounted drivers can make room layout and placement problematic.  Plus there is that final problem that the Blades are a lot more expensive!  Having said that, they are old enough now to occasionally turn up on the second hand market, and at very tempting prices too!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12